Albannach

Minor update due to my back "going out" so standing up at the layout was a bit of relief (physio next week will put paid to that, but until then I am sticking to the excuse that it does me good) unfortunately the perfect weather for sanding and undercoating the backscene ply has had to be missed as that would have been too much.

Further progress with scenic work at the back of the layout before fitting the backscene, and the modified bridge has been tidied up ready for weathering, after the paint has had a few days to dry.

post-7165-0-51959100-1309107304_thumb.jpg

post-7165-0-33891000-1309107376_thumb.jpg

regards

Quasimodo Stewart

• Like 2

Hi Stewart, Hope your back is not causing you too much grief - they can definately be a very problematic area to deal with. Back onto modelling matters and I have to say your layout is fast turning into one of my favourites of all time. The detail and feel to it is just first class and I must admit that I feel more than a touch of jealousy at your talent. Cant wait for further updates.

Hi Stewart, Hope your back is not causing you too much grief - they can definately be a very problematic area to deal with. Back onto modelling matters and I have to say your layout is fast turning into one of my favourites of all time. The detail and feel to it is just first class and I must admit that I feel more than a touch of jealousy at your talent. Cant wait for further updates.

Thank you for the kind comments and I am very pleased you are enjoying the layout so far.

As for me having any sort of talent, you would not be saying that if you knew the mistakes I make, or the number of times some things get redone !!

regards

Stewart

• 4 weeks later...

Work continues on the areas that will be awkward to get at once the back scene is in place.

This is a view across the bridge from the road side, still needing a bit more work (why is it you only notice things after it's been photographed ?)

post-7165-0-56460900-1311272391_thumb.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 3

Wow!

Stewart, that bridge and verge are just spot-on. Nice subtle colouring. cool.gif though I can't see what needs doing to it.

Thanks for the comments Paul, much appreciated.

The finish/covering at the bottom of the capping stones is not too good, and now that I have seen it I will have to correct it.

I recently discovered a very good colour close up photograph of Macduff Station (my effort will be a smaller version) which shows the external stonework to be much smaller than I thought, so once the signal box is finished, I hope to start on the station building soon using the same methods and materials as the bridge and the harbour.

regards

Stewart

Hi, glad to see another update! I second Worsdell Forever's comment above. I must be missing something as I cant see what further work is required on that bridge. Looks good to me!

Apologies for apparently ignoring your comments, from the times of posting I must have been "composing" the reply to Wordsell Forever and never noticed it until today.

After posting the photograph I realised I had missed a bit at the bottom edges when painting the capping stones on the bridge.

When looking at the layout it was not obvious at the time (it is the first thing I see now though !!) so as I know it's there, I will have to put it right before the backscene goes on.

regards

Stewart

No problems Stewart, No (individual) response was expected and you answered both our questions in one. However if you are feeling a little guilty at not responding a few more photos will definately help!!

Depending on how the back has coped with another working week (waiting for a scan as I have apparently trapped a nerve, but at least it has been accepted at work that I have a stick for the moment and anyone who has worked in an engineering drawing office will know what I had to suffer when I turned up with a walking stick) I will try and put the two scenic halves together for some pics of the current status.

Although they all have to be done at sometime, I have too many projects on the go, most of which could do with a good session at the work bench which I just can't manage at the moment.

regards

Stewart

A few additional pictures of current progress which also include numerous unfinished projects which I really must get on with as having it the "right way round" has made it very obvious just how much remains to be done.

Apart from the fiddle yard, this is it.

post-7165-0-26232500-1312132065_thumb.jpg

The wagon (unfinished project) about to be unloaded is modelled with the brakes on and will have the tarpaulin partially pulled of in a mini diorama and will also serve as a buffer stop.

The Scammell Scarab (unfinished project) is the excellent Model Company (Bob Barlow) kit which just needs glazing, lettering and weathering.

The boat (unstarted project) is the Langley Models Clyde Puffer.

post-7165-0-22758000-1312132265_thumb.jpg

The box trailer (unfinished project) is an MMP kit of an alternative trailer for the Scarab, yet to be lettered and weathered.

post-7165-0-35367300-1312132711_thumb.jpg

Don't know if it's me or rmweb but no more pictures will load (two failures) so I will post more tomorrow when I get home from work.

I am now off to watch recordings of the F1 race and the two WSB races from Silverstone (it's the only way to watch TV, fast forward through all the tripe and enjoy the racing)

regards

Stewart

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your back problems. Its the one area of the body that it seems cant ever be fixed 100%. A couple of people I know have back problems and they seem fine for months or even years but then it will pop again for seemingly no reason.

The overview of the layout looks very impressive and I cant wait until the white shells are converted into the real station!

The idea of a wagon stood on the harbour siding being unloaded sounds good and it will be interesting to see once a few workmen are added to the scene

Continued ...

The little wooden shed will perhaps become the "coal office" not too sure yet as I am very aware of cluttering the place up.

post-7165-0-35226300-1312221227_thumb.jpg

The Signal Box, which is based on Mintlaw, has been sanded down with 6000 grade wet & dry (used wet) and is looking suitably faded and ready for weathering.

The next job is testing out some fibre optic cable for internal lighting before adding the roof.

post-7165-0-82814900-1312221738_thumb.jpg

The front field is intended to be home for a Highland Cow (perhaps 2) so now needs the fence toning down a bit and the grass cropped to eaten height along with a few examples of what cows do.

post-7165-0-04933000-1312221977_thumb.jpg

I am really pleased with the period road sign which is one of a range from Miniscene Models being sold by Tower Models, it just (IMHO) sets the area of.

post-7165-0-39805400-1312222052_thumb.jpg

A view down the layout from the Station Building, based on Macduff but a bit smaller due to space restrictions showing the location of the cattle dock and some of the area yet to be cobbled.

post-7165-0-10361000-1312222348_thumb.jpg

Although smaller than Macduff, it is still quite a large plain white structure at the moment, but I am trying to be disciplined about it and not start something else until I have finished at least a few of the existing projects.

I have the Slaters stone sheets (the vacuum formed stuff) in stock ready to go and the temptation to "just try a couple" is very strong although I must admit to not particularly looking forward to painting the stones one by one.

I am also veering towards auto couplings (standing and bending over the layout is not good for the back) and will be doing some serious investigation at Guildex next month.

I pre-wired for such an event (just in case) so it would just be a matter of fitting the electro-magnets once the make has been chosen.

Any experiences of such things in 7mm would be very welcome, I do like the Dingham unit and delicacy should not a problem with a stay at home layout, but the "single direction" worries me as it would not suit (I don't think anyway) rotating the trains in the fiddle yard.

regards

Stewart

Edited by 45157
  • Like 5

Layout looks great, looking forward to seeing future progress. Keep it up :)

Hi Dom

Thanks for the comments, progress is painfully slow at the moment, but at least there is some.

regards

Stewart

Steady progress Stewart , the work that has been done is to the same high standard so perhaps taking your time is not necessarily a bad thing?

I think it's time to start lobbying somebody to produce a decent NBL type 2 - the layout is crying out for one now :-)

Steady progress Stewart , the work that has been done is to the same high standard so perhaps taking your time is not necessarily a bad thing?

I think it's time to start lobbying somebody to produce a decent NBL type 2 - the layout is crying out for one now :-)

Thanks for the comments Supaned, much appreciated.

I have managed to resist the current spate of class 20 and 26 kits and models to arrive on the market but I totally agree about an NBL Type 2 (preferably an early 21) to current standards, I would have to start saving hard as soon as it was announced.

regards

Stewart

What number points are they 6, 7, or 8,s they look so smooth.

David

A Brit in the USA

Hi David

Thank you for your comments, in such a small area I tried hard to make the track and pointwork look reasonable.

They are all B6, which I think equates to a radius of around 7' 6" in 7mm scale.

A huge help was the Templot software application which allowed me to position the pointwork to achieve the best compromise in the available space, then print the templates for construction.

(no connection other than a satisfied customer)

I did try a smaller radius but it did not (IMHO) look right (and larger which looked great, but would just not fit !!)

Apart from the tie bars (JLTRT) all construction materials from C+L.

regards

Stewart

Lovely... Really !

JB.

Thank you.

regards

Stewart

• 2 months later...

Time still not my friend, but a little progress has been made.

The goods yard and cattle dock have now been cobbled, final bedding in and weathering will be done once the station and goods shed are finished and fitted.

post-7165-0-29523700-1320692728.jpg post-7165-0-80928200-1320692729.jpg

Signals are also progressing slowly but surely (the white on the spectacles is the still wet canopy glue)

post-7165-0-38401500-1320692916.jpg

Work has also started on the Station/goods/Carriage Shed Building by framing all openings with a layer of Plastikard ready for the stone.

regards

Stewart

• Like 2

hi, hope you are well

I was hoping to see another update soon and your latest one doesnt disappoint! The ground in the yard area looks very realistic.

Thanks for the comment, the yard is basically Wills 4mm setts but with added drainage channels, which helps to disguise the joins.

The main station building is probably next as I am unable to lift the boards at the moment to fit and wire the signal motors etc.

I am waiting for a lumber injection which will solve my back problem (so they say!!) therefore any model building work at the moment has to be done standing up straight or sitting "properly" which I find is surprisingly difficult.

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, I had a chat with JLTRT at Guildex regarding a 21/29 in the future.

There are no plans at the moment, but they did comment on the similarity of some parts with a 22, and on a positive note (for me anyway) they didn't say "no chance".

While there, I must admit to giving the 26 and the new Clayton more than a second glance, way out of my budget at the moment but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

I do really, but have to try and stay positive :-)

regards

Stewart