Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Albannach

Still slow progress.

The drainage is installed and the water tower now firmly "planted" in position (PVA still wet when photo taken)

Fencing along the roadside at the back also complete as I knew leaving this till later would mean I kept breaking bits off the water tower when leaning over.

post-7165-056651500 1288596953_thumb.jpg

I have also filled in between the rails on the quayside with Wills 4mm Stone Setts and I think it looks ok.

A bit more weathering required before any final decision made.

The fence is not secure, it has just been placed in position to check levels etc (some old Kemilway etches and 30 thou brass wire)

post-7165-072442100 1288597708_thumb.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Hello, just seeing if there is any update on this layout. Have been looking out for updates for a while. Hope everything is stil going OK

Thank you for the interest, it's slow progress at the moment for two reasons.

1. Redundancy at the end of last year but lucky enough to drop into another job, unfortunately with more travel and longer hours so much less free time during the week.

2. Problems with warping ply on one baseboard and the fiddle yard which has meant some redesign and major rebuilding was necessary.

While I had it apart so as to speak, I decided to get rid of the facing point and go back to the original layout which uses the fiddle yard for loco run round as it gives me a bit more space in the garage.

I have just to finish constructing a new double track overbridge at the entrance to the fiddle yard, the accompaning land profile and renew the soldered track connections between baseboards before it will be ready for the basic grass mat (floral hanging basket liners) to be redone.

The fiddle yard has yet to be assessed for repair/replacement.

I will take a couple of pictures over the weekend and explain what has changed.

Lunch break over so back on my head.

regards

Stewart

The side walls were salvaged from the previous single track overbridge and the scenery looks a lot worse than it is.

The cardboard (cereal packets) mesh, Modrock and floral basket liner have proved to be quite workable and the reloaction to the new contours looks to be straight forward.

post-7165-0-80165400-1297015291_thumb.jpg

The new road is just resting on the surface at the moment, it will be "cut-in" to the station road below it once the bridge is finished.

post-7165-0-59653000-1297015443_thumb.jpg

Construction of the new over bridge is underway, final sanding and a coat of wood sealer before the plasticard main structure begins.

post-7165-0-05463000-1297015640_thumb.jpg

The tree has moved to help "disguise" the join in the proposed backscene and the signal box will be closer to the shortened platform.

I removed the wooden platform extension and will disguise the baseboard join with a sleeper built (one can be seen being tested for size) barrow crossing from the platform end which is now level with the end of the baseboard.

The water tower has gone, loco facilities are now presumed to be on the other side of the bridge.

The station approach road now runs down to track level and "behind" the scenery as it nears the station (more natural I thought)

post-7165-0-92496600-1297016206_thumb.jpg

post-7165-0-66677500-1297016314_thumb.jpg

Plan at the moment is to finish the track joints using copper clad sleepers and soldered brass chairs when visible and soldered rail joiners under the barrow clossing (copper clads are glued and screwed to solid wood at the joints) sort any rewiring and test to make sure all is well.

Repair and replace scenery until the layout is back at the part-finished state it was in before the change of direction (hopefully the bridge will be finished by that time) then get on with the new fiddle yard.

Then, in the garden on warm sunny evenings ... finish the signal box and the station building.

This will just make the whole thing more robust for life in the garage and easier to manage (or manhandle) overall on my own.

That's the theory anyway.

A lesson in not to try and get too much in such a small space.

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Less is more as they say Stewart ;)

The layout still retains the wonderful simplicity (personally I am a big fan of using the fiddle to run-a-round) and the new works look to blend very well.

Watching with interest...

Stewart, I'm sorry to hear about the redundancy but are glad you managed to find a new job so quickly. Its a shame you no longer have space for the old bridge as I thought was a fantastic peice of modelling however, As BCN has already commented I dont think that loosing the run round is a major issue and I think it may even add to the sleepy remote scottish feel of the layout.

I'm so glad to see you posting again and hope to see plenty more of Albannach on here over the coming months.

Less is more as they say Stewart ;)

The layout still retains the wonderful simplicity (personally I am a big fan of using the fiddle to run-a-round) and the new works look to blend very well.

Watching with interest...

Many thanks for the comments.

I really need to pay more attention to my own GNoSR reference material as I often find myself amazed at how few facilities some stations have.

regards

Stewart

Stewart, I'm sorry to hear about the redundancy but are glad you managed to find a new job so quickly. Its a shame you no longer have space for the old bridge as I thought was a fantastic peice of modelling however, As BCN has already commented I dont think that loosing the run round is a major issue and I think it may even add to the sleepy remote scottish feel of the layout.

I'm so glad to see you posting again and hope to see plenty more of Albannach on here over the coming months.

Thank you for the kind comments.

I must admit the new job was a relief, not my ideal situation but at least it's still "in my trade" and with less than two years till retirement any work has to be good work.

Hopefully the new bridge will end up looking just like a larger version of the old one.

I am looking forward to using my newly aquired GW Models rivet press for the first time as the rivets on the previous bridge were plastic rod inserted into pre drilled holes, not recommended for long modelling sessions.

regards

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

Destruction work now finished and all track (except fiddle yard) repaired and reinststed so reconstruction can begin.

New fencing behind new platform ramp being checked for alignment before weathering to match original and refitting.

Wooden sleepers cut and ready to be fitted as a barrow crossing.

I think I will make the crossing up as a "plug-in" arrangement this time, to fit over and disguise the baseboard join.

post-7165-0-43373500-1298225914_thumb.jpg

New bridge construction begins.

A bit of a Catch 22 situation here because I need to finish the bridge first as it fits to the road which needs to be fitted before I can blend it into the existing road and repair the landscape adjacent to the bridge.

post-7165-0-62925200-1298225968_thumb.jpg

Test fit before it goes any further (been there, done that, got the tee shirt etc etc)

post-7165-0-83244300-1298226021_thumb.jpg

Regards

Stewart

• Like 1

The progress may be slow mate but the quallity is without doubt outstanding ^_^

Grats on finding a new job quickly also not easy these days ^_^

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Landing the new job so quickly was too good to be true, it's a nightmare, but at least it puts money in the pot while I keep looking.

Unfortunately, it means very little modelling during the week but I can always hope for a few wet Sunday afternoons as house maintenance is currently up to date.

regards

Stewart

Only just found this thread. Wonderful scenic work: very convincing. It's good to see that you're not tempted to 'cram too much in', which I personally think is the downfall of many a layout.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the kind comments.

I have been very tempted (and am currently "rebuilding" because of it) to cram far too much in the space available and then don't like it because it looks cramped.

I have now accepted that in my case, less absolutely has to be more, and all the exciting stuff (loco coaling/watering/turning, handling unusual freight etc) will be done off scene in the fiddle yard.

regards

Stewart

• 2 months later...

A great deal of work and very little to show for it.

Bridge finished and stonework repaired but yet to be painted and weathered.

New barrow crossing fitted to "hide the join" as they say.

Almost back to where I was before the repair/re-design, just a bit of wiring to reconnect and the new fiddle yard to build.

The signal box has progressed as well and is currently having the windows fitted.

I really need to build a couple of signals now, as I cannot finish the scenery base without them being located.

Work still seriously reducing modelling time though

post-7165-0-30538200-1303754505_thumb.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A little more progress to report after some modelling time found over the weekend.

Fencing now progressing well and finished on one board (if I get this all finished I can add the backscene and turn the boards round again) I decided that nothing looked more like wood than wood, so purchased some thin sheet and started cutting, I often find it quite difficult to make something look old and un-maintained without it looking badly modelled, it was suggested by the better half that I have a damaged section with a repair in progress (workman, wheel barrow, new planks, tools etc) but I will need to think about that as it may still need a bit more distressing.

Scenery repair around the bridge has started and the signal box is progressing slowly, one damaged horizontal plank to replace (and a bit of plastic filler on some of those joints I never noticed !!) and it's for an undercoat.

post-7165-0-24524000-1305479030_thumb.jpg

post-7165-0-99878500-1305479078_thumb.jpg

post-7165-0-14172400-1305479148_thumb.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 4

Hi, hope you have settled into the new job now

I was only thinking yesterday that I hoped you would update us all soon!.

The bridge is looking really impressive and I cant wait to see the finished signal box.

Has there been any progress at the station end of the board? The station at Thurso is one of my favourites and it looks like your building wont be a million miles away from the general feel of that one.

Hi, hope you have settled into the new job now

I was only thinking yesterday that I hoped you would update us all soon!.

The bridge is looking really impressive and I cant wait to see the finished signal box.

Has there been any progress at the station end of the board? The station at Thurso is one of my favourites and it looks like your building wont be a million miles away from the general feel of that one.

The new job turned out to be a nightmare, but it paid the bills, I started a new long term contract today which looks to be much better, and a shorter working day, so hopefully more progress on the layout.

Thank you for the comments, it's nice to be getting on with it again.

I have based the station building (although a bit smaller due to lack of space) on Macduff, but at the moment I am unable to decide on the stone covering so no progress.

I was originally going to use the same Slaters moulded sheets as the harbour wall and the bridge for uniformity, but I am worried the stones will look too small.

The alternatives are cutting out individual stones from Plastikard and applying texture or scored Das compound.

The individual plastic stones are favourite at the moment as I am unsure of the long term strength of a thin layer of Das on the two layers of foamboard.

Attention at the moment is on finishing the fencing and scenery at "the back" of the layout so that I can sort the backscene and turn the layout the right way round to add signals and finish of the wiring changes made while rebuilding/repairing.

After that I think I will need to get some stock out for a play.

regards

Stewart

• 4 weeks later...

A little bit of progress.

The Signal Box has been undercoated, windows painted white and glazed, brick work painted and a first coat of green applied.

I have had a great deal of trouble finding a "green" which looked (to my eye) faded enough for the mid to late fifties in line with the colour photographs I have access to and I think I have come fairly close (again to my eye)

It has been put on very thin and I am still considering if one coat is enough or will it just look badly painted rather than worn out and is only in position for the photograph.

The wood for the backscene has now been purchased (no pictures, just a very light grey with perhaps a hint of blue) so work has been concentrated on finishing the areas that will not be easy to get at once it is fitted.

The big tree is now finished and the area behind the platform finished at the rear next to the backscene, the area behing the Signal Box and adjacent to the fence is next.

The backscene requires considerable sanding and priming to get rid of any grain before painting so that will require a few sunny days as definately an outside job.

Just for fun, a couple of pictures which will not be possible once the backscene is fitted.

post-7165-0-54761200-1307810028_thumb.jpg

post-7165-0-27129200-1307810138_thumb.jpg

post-7165-0-15209900-1307810197_thumb.jpg

post-7165-0-62586100-1307811292_thumb.jpg

The main (not ground) signals have also been started so a view from just inside the station building with the posts roughly in position.

Being lattice posts they are a bit difficult to see but there is a platform starter and another to the left of the bridge.

post-7165-0-85121500-1307810795_thumb.jpg

Finally a view from the bridge.

Strangly, the green on the trackbed is nothing like so obvious in "real life" I need to get out the camera manual.

post-7165-0-91698600-1307811094_thumb.jpg

That will probably have to be it for a wee while as the rest of the Month is going to be pretty busy for me with little spare time for modelling (roll on retirement !!).

regards

Stewart

post-7165-0-21891600-1307809716_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

More good progress made , and I like the look of that station building.

Thanks for the comments, time is a real enemy at the moment, but it is is after all a hobby (I want it finished though).

The station building is based on Macduff but shortened due to space restrictions.

No idea where the duplicate photo at the end has come from, I will have a proper look tonight at deleting it when I have the originals available.

regards

Stewart

Hi, Good to see more progress on this layout. It just captures an atmosphere that I really love!

A quayside location and a rural scottish scene is one of my favourite combinations and you capture it so well!

Thank you for the positive comments, much appreciated.

I don't remember who invented the phrase "stealth modelling" on here, but it is very appropriate for me at the moment and I am getting between 30 and 60 minutes each evening on something.

I have convinced myself I will make real progress once the "backscene" is in place and have been concentrating on finishing off the scenery around station approach road which would be awkward once the backscene is fitted.

Unfortunately I have no free weekends this month so will not get the ply sanded and painted in the near future (unless I treat myself to an overtime free day !!)

The strange thing is, there is still quite a lot of detailing involved in modelling a remote location with next to nothing there.

Although it is very much a fictional layout each "area" (overbridge, signal box, station building etc) is based on a photograph of an actual GNSR location.

At the moment I am very keen to finish the Signal Box, get started on the stonework for the Station Building, build the boat for the harbour, and now that the plates have arrived from Severn Mill Nameplates (they are just perfect) line and finish off the standard 4 tank in 50's Kittybrewster guise.

A railway modellers work is never done !!! ;)

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

Fantastic... this is one of those layouts where you need to come back every now and then for your 'fix'...!! laugh.gif

JB.

Many thanks JB, such a comment much appreciated from someone whose loco builds I follow in awe.

regards

Stewart