Albannach

Stewart, great to see an update on one of my favourite layouts and its looking as good as ever!

As we hadnt heard from you for a few months I had been considering whether to send you a message to see if you were alright, especially considering your earlier mentioned back problems but kept putting it off as I didnt want to seem pushy, intrusive or annoying. Hope your enjoying your retirement although I know my dad seems busier now he is retired than ever before!

Best wishes

Mark

I was quite busy at work in the months before retirement and I have to admit that firing up a PC in the evening or at weekends was at the bottom of my to do list.

I know exactly how your Dad feels, I am only in my third week of retirement and I am already wondering how I ever made the time to go out to work, the days just fly past.

A good bit of progress has been made on the layout though and I will get some pics done in the near future.

regards

Stewart

• Like 2

Stewart, great to see an update on one of my favourite layouts and its looking as good as ever!

As we hadnt heard from you for a few months I had been considering whether to send you a message to see if you were alright, especially considering your earlier mentioned back problems but kept putting it off as I didnt want to seem pushy, intrusive or annoying. Hope your enjoying your retirement although I know my dad seems busier now he is retired than ever before!

Best wishes

Mark

Hi Mark

The back is something I just have to get on with, I have been quite busy at work in the Months before retirement and sitting down at at PC at home was bottom of the to do list.

Although I have only been retired a couple of weeks (and enjoying it a lot) i am already amazed that I ever found time to go to work.

The layout had made a bit of progress in that time so I will get some pics up in the near future.

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

You just know that you're gonna have to put some lighting under that overall roof to show the lovely details that lurks underneath! :sungum:

Struth, am I that obvious. :yes:

Layout already on its side for addition of new wiring loom !!

post-7165-0-09369300-1354707515.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Now that I have had a couple of months as a retired pensioner, how I ever managed to be out of the house working for 11 hours a day 5 days a week will remain a mystery to me, where has all my new found "free time" gone ???.

I have to admit to spending a lot less time in front of a PC now so at least I have finished the "can I be bothered with DCC" project and the sound fitted 08 is currently in play mode before being weathered.

It does run very smoothly and the sound is good fun.

Next experiment will be the standard tank with some capacitors (plenty of room inside) as I was very impressed by a Lenz demonstration.

post-7165-0-80914400-1362655105.jpg

The station building is now ready for the roofing contractors, but getting started with cutting out umpteen thousand individual slates is slowing me down a bit.

post-7165-0-69779900-1362655185.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 4

Its looking absolutely lovely Stewart. It seems you have done quite a bit of scenic work as well. Im sure I dont remember as much greenery around the station or the loading dock on your last post. With a roof on the station building that last post would look very realistic

Hope your back is behaving and looking forward to the next installment already! (sorry, I know Im greedy!)

Mark

• Like 1

Mark

DanielB

Thank you for the comments, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to the posts.

I have recently purchased a resistance soldering unit so I am back at the workbench for a while to finish off all those awkward soldering jobs (or looking for an excuse not to start cutting out roofing slates) but I have been pottering about quite a bit lately with little jobs on the layout, so I should find the time to take a few pics of the small details added to date.

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A sort of progress update now that I have got all the slates on the station roof.

The old vernier and the trusty NW Shortlines Chopper made a boring job bearable although I restricted slate "production" to one sheet of Plastikard at a sitting.

It still needs a bit work to finish it off (Seagulls on the workbench) but the bulk of the work is now done.

Apart from the signal wire runs the basics are now pretty much finished so I will probably give it a rest over the "summer" while I get on with the wee boat, and start on the fun detailing stuff in the Autumn.

post-7165-0-42393800-1369757352.jpg

post-7165-0-67980900-1369757353.jpg

post-7165-0-92925400-1369757354.jpg

post-7165-0-47909000-1369757356.jpg

post-7165-0-09872400-1369757358.jpg

post-7165-0-47282800-1369757359.jpg

post-7165-0-98424500-1369757360.jpg

post-7165-0-58858700-1369757362.jpg

post-7165-0-04694500-1369757364.jpg

I have been impressed with the quality of running and motor control under DCC and am gradually being won over by the sound on the 08 although I am currently trying to justiy the cost of a sound card for the 101 DMU currently on the workbench.
I have included a picture but the colour has not come out right (too blue) although it looks better in the photo than in real life, but, it does seem to be getting closer to the colour on the tin as each day passes so I will leave it alone for a couple of weeks while I get on with the interior and see how it looks then.

post-7165-0-03580000-1369757467.jpg

The Summer project, I've used nearly half a tube of filler on the hull already but I guess even wee boats are fairly large things, thoroughly enjoying the change though.

post-7165-0-93293200-1369757465.jpg

As always, many thanks to those who take the time to look and comment.

Happy modelling.

regards

Stewart

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I've only just come across this layout thread, very nice indeed.  Great modelling, great atmosphere.

All the best, Dave.

Edited by DLT

Absolutely delightful Stewart

A really great set of pics.

Is that 101 a kit or Bachmann Brassworks?

Pete

Hi Pete

It started life as a Bachman Brassworks one but I have done a bit of work on detailing the ends and spent some time filling and sanding the roof rain guttering down a bit as I want the earlier version with just the door strips, and unfortunately the Bachman one is a mixture of original and rebuilt versions in having both.

I did think about strengthening and re-soldering the internal seams then grinding the guttering off completely but decided that life was too short (apart from reducing the whole thing to its component parts as tack soldering is used throughout) and as there is a bit of a seam on the real thing I contented myself with reducing the guttering to a closed seam with panel beating, filling and sanding.

It does run as smooth as silk though and I am trying to justify a big spend on a sound card at the moment.

The interior is being a bit awkward as the roof is fixed and there is a large lip on the bottom of the sides to fix the shells to the floor, which is part of the chassis so I am unable to detail the interior and drop the body over.

I got all the interior detailing components from EasyBuild (great service) and modified them to suit the 101, so am really only having to scratch build the cab areas.

The use of Halfords spray paint did not work (probably my fault) as the finished colour is nothing like the colour on the tin so it will be out with the wet and dry soon and airbrush a suitable colour from the Precision Paints range I have just been given.

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

Hi

definite maybe, islandbridgejct, Supaned and DLT

Many thanks for the kind comments, retirement has allowed a bit more time for "occasional modelling" although all day sessions are still a bit rare.

How I managed to be out of the house 12 hours a day 5 days a week at work I really do not know.

I have had a good clean up and tidy in the Garage and will have to get working on all those wagon/coach/loco kits to get a service running although I am determined to finish off those part built kits and the painting first and I have to admit painting and lining/lettering is not my favourite bit and I do have the added distraction now of building the Clyde Puffer which is a nice change.

Thanks again

Regards

Stewart

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Progress is very slow as I have lost the railway modelling impetus at the moment, but, I am enjoying a complete change in building the Langley Models Clyde Puffer for the small quay.

It's a big lump of a thing in 7mm scale although only a tiny boat (ship?) in real life and, just like railway rolling stock, every one seems to be different in some way.

I purchased the reference book suggested by Langley and read it from cover to cover, very interesting, a hard life indeed for those who worked the Puffers and from the photographs contained plus plans and photos from the web have managed to gain enough information to be able to go that little bit further (sad really) than the excellent kit as supplied.

It is now ready for some very nice brass portholes to be fitted (the components available to maritime modellers is awesome, I even have a brass ships bell to fit) and I am still researching the rigging details as I have decided to have a go at a more detailed representation than the kit intended.

Langley have been great and supplied me with lots of additional bits.

Still lots of detail to add (handrails fitted but not straightened and fixed yet) and painting/weathering to finish, at least I don't have to worry about getting it moving.

Apologies to all those who know about maritime things for all the errors I have made, but I think I have a photo for the location of everything fitted, although not all from the same boat (ship) at the same time.

post-7165-0-93167300-1374427308.jpg

post-7165-0-44196700-1374427310.jpg

post-7165-0-07977500-1374427312.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Progress is very slow as I have lost the railway modelling impetus at the moment, but, I am enjoying a complete change in building the Langley Models Clyde Puffer for the small quay.

It's a big lump of a thing in 7mm scale although only a tiny boat (ship?) in real life and, just like railway rolling stock, every one seems to be different in some way.

I purchased the reference book suggested by Langley and read it from cover to cover, very interesting, a hard life indeed for those who worked the Puffers and from the photographs contained plus plans and photos from the web have managed to gain enough information to be able to go that little bit further (sad really) than the excellent kit as supplied.

It is now ready for some very nice brass portholes to be fitted (the components available to maritime modellers is awesome, I even have a brass ships bell to fit) and I am still researching the rigging details as I have decided to have a go at a more detailed representation than the kit intended.

Langley have been great and supplied me with lots of additional bits.

Still lots of detail to add (handrails fitted but not straightened and fixed yet) and painting/weathering to finish, at least I don't have to worry about getting it moving.

Apologies to all those who know about maritime things for all the errors I have made, but I think I have a photo for the location of everything fitted, although not all from the same boat (ship) at the same time.

attachicon.gifpuffer1.jpg

attachicon.gifpuffer2.jpg

attachicon.gifpuffer3.jpg

regards

Stewart

For more detail on Puffers, BBC 2 are showing "The Maggie" at lunch time tomorrow (Monday)

Adrian

For more detail on Puffers, BBC 2 are showing "The Maggie" at lunch time tomorrow (Monday)

Adrian

Brilliant, thank you Adrain.

I will now go and see if I can get BBC Catch Up to work and enjoy the movie later.

Thanks again

regards

Stewart

• 1 month later...

Tied up awaiting a crew.

I hope to find four suitable for the job at Guildex this weekend which will complete the summer project (which was a needed break from railways) and clear the bench for a welcome return to building stuff that moves, especially after the coming weekend of awe and inspiration.

post-7165-0-34197100-1378314820.jpg

post-7165-0-27879000-1378314822.jpg

I will need to make the hiring of the crew the first job to do, as the place will be full of stuff I didn't realise I needed desperately, quite apart from my list of essentials.

It can be an expensive show as everything, but everything for 0 Gauge will be there and (for me anyway) so very tempting.  :derisive:

regards

Stewart

• Like 6

Suitable Puffer crew hired at Guildex, already adjusted, fettled, primed and awaiting painting.

Got the speedo castings also, so I now have everything to complete the DMU (that was my excuse for putting it off) so I just need to get my mind into lining mode (the ends will be fun with a horizontal lining pen) and except it cannot be done in one sitting. (I do hate cleaning the airbrush and lining pen after use)

Along with all the other essential wagon kits and assorted bits I treated myself to a ready to run Dapol PO coal wagon.

At only slightly more than an equivalent pre-printed kit it is an absolute steal (I am happy to accept it may or may not have the correct brakes or number of bolts/rivets etc) and since taking the photo have quietened down the coupling links (bright chrome) plus added a bit of weight and it runs up and down a treat, just needs a couple of replacement planks, BR number/markings and a bit of weathering.
You might say I am well pleased with my purchase.

It seems there is a "limited edition" batch coming from Dapol to Tower Models next month and one of them is also from across the border, yet another essential purchase on the way it seems. 

If this is what Dapol mean by 0 gauge at "realistic" prices, more power to them.

post-7165-0-70634800-1378829419.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Not much progress on the layout, crew added to the Puffer and some waves added to the sea.

I think the one waiting to untie the ropes really wants to be a fisherman and I never noticed the tyre until now, will correct that when I go downstairs.

post-7165-0-36410700-1390833784.jpg

Taking up the workbench is a JLTRT Gresley coach.

It's the first time I have tried painting a coach before assembling the sides and ends, it's so much easier, but in this case the fit of the parts is good enough.

Lining next (not my favourite task) but it should be easier keeping the pen straight on the flat sides and I can do both in one sitting for each colour.

post-7165-0-50160000-1390834127.jpg

The thing that has been taking up the time is this little chap and the setting up (not playing you understand :-) ) of the sound card.

I am a definite novice regarding DCC sound but have been impressed with the 08 (a long story, but it was a cab ride from Glasgow Central to Polmadie Shed, so I had to have one)

so I decided to finish of the CR Pug (I know but there was no kit for a GNSR shunter at the time of purchase, so it's finished as the Inverness shunter) and fit a soundcard.

I had to fit an "00" size card which was still a bit of a tight fit and the speaker is between the frames at the front so the sound seems to come from the right area, no problems with

current as it is powered by an RG7 (which was also a squeeze as it is wider than the Slaters motor).

Inverness didn't keep it as clean as some sheds Pugs, but at least they didn't fully line it, just the crew to paint and fit after I am sure there is nowhere for a large stay alive capacitor

as it did not have a coal wagon attached.

post-7165-0-17502700-1390835183.jpg          post-7165-0-31675600-1390835184.jpg

regards

Stewart

Edited by 45157
  • Like 5

Hi Stewart

The layout is looking absolutely brilliant and the CR Pug is beautiful (I have got 2 of the Hornby OO ones which I am trying to build new chassis and detail 1 of which will put the tender behind for use on Glen Gillie & Loch Inch). Am I right in thinking that the puffer was the Langley kit?

Thanks for your comments on my threads.

Peter

Hi Stewart

The layout is looking absolutely brilliant and the CR Pug is beautiful (I have got 2 of the Hornby OO ones which I am trying to build new chassis and detail 1 of which will put the tender behind for use on Glen Gillie & Loch Inch). Am I right in thinking that the puffer was the Langley kit?

Thanks for your comments on my threads.

Peter

Hi Peter

Many thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

The Pug has a charm all of its own and the sound has added a new dimension for me which I am enjoying (the modelling is suffering though)

Yes, the Puffer is indeed the Langley Kit, but with a few extras.

As I know nothing about boats I worked from photographs (every Puffer is different, and I wanted "Auld Reekie" as is was registered on the East Coast)

Langley were very good in supplying numerous additional parts to allow me to make the changes I wanted and I also got quite a few bits and pieces from a ship modelling supplier

(difficult to stop as the range of components is enormous)

The layout is very small and close up, so I decided the extra detail was worth it in this case.

The kit was excellent, all the white metal castings were first class, very little flash, but a lot of time had to be spent on the resin hull to get the finish (not a complaint, just a comment) and I thoroughly enjoyed the build.

I think they still do one in 4mm, but I don't know on how detailed it is.

regards

Stewart

• Like 1