Berkeley C.E.G.B. - Is it still used?

richscylla

I'm not sure. The facility has been closed for 20 years now, and I'm not sure how long some of the structures have to remain before they can be considered for demolition. 

Presumably, when demolition begins in earnest, the paths will be necessary?

I did hear that due to Oldbury being chosen for a new reactor, some time in the future, waste material from the decommissioning was going to be stored at Berkeley; but whether that process has commenced I don't know. 

Still in use occasionally saw a departure back in late summer. The Berkeley Vale Railway are negotiating with NR to build a timeline loop to the east of Berkeley station so that the DRS trains do not have to go to Oldfield sidings for run round freeing up the branch for the preservation group.

Keith

From captions I've seen on pictures online, some of the loads come in from the research centres in Oxfordshire, for forward movement to Sellafield, so it's not purely reliant on Oldbury or Berkeley power stations

Jo

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm not sure. The facility has been closed for 20 years now, and I'm not sure how long some of the structures have to remain before they can be considered for demolition. 

Presumably, when demolition begins in earnest, the paths will be necessary?

I did hear that due to Oldbury being chosen for a new reactor, some time in the future, waste material from the decommissioning was going to be stored at Berkeley; but whether that process has commenced I don't know. 

From what I understand DRS have a lease on the line for the next 20 years, so it seems like they anticipate that there will be traffic coming from the site for some time to come.