Repair Hornby Royal Scot gear cover

hap

Looking for solutions.

I have a Hornby Royal Scot which has broken its mounting for the gear cover.

You can see in the picture that the stub that the screw goes into has fractured at its base.

Hence, has anyone had the same issue, and if so, how did you solve it?

I have tried super glue, metal epoxy and gorilla glue and none are holding.  Surely there must be an easy solution.

post-12779-0-17144000-1539559816_thumb.jpg

Looks like the only real fix will be to pilot drill the bust part and see if a screw extractor can get the stump out or keep increasing the drill size until you can prise it out.

Edit...looking at service sheets 305 and 429 it is that stub the securing screw threads into that has failed, not an insert., so please disregard my first para.

Can you file it off flush with the chassis, then drill and tap for a longer screw, or counterbore for a brass tube that is threaded internally or has a nut soldered to the top. Epoxy the tube into the chassis.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

G-BOAF, yes the metal is fairly crystallised.  Not a good sign I think – I wonder how the rest of the chassis will age? It also seems to mean that adhesives do not bond well to it.

I plan to try some J-B Weld shortly to see if it will bond, and at the same time contact Hornby (thanks Fireline).  I'll report back the results.

Rob – a good suggestion re tapping in a longer screw.  I am saving that one as a last resort.

Just an update.  I tried J-B Weld (2 part epoxy) over the weekend - let it cure and tested it to see if it would hold.  While better than any other adhesive I have tried, it too failed to hold.