RR&Co train programmer does anyone use it ?

pctrainman

Hi , Have TC V9 Gold a Lenz system and Railcom via DCC4PC and I also have a sprog2 and JMRI on a PC but was wondering if anyone who uses TC also uses Train Programmer and whether they think the investment is worth it , i'm hoping i've put this in the right place as I was not sure whether to post it under computer control ?.

• RMweb Premium

Hi , Have TC V9 Gold a Lenz system and Railcom via DCC4PC and I also have a sprog2 and JMRI on a PC but was wondering if anyone who uses TC also uses Train Programmer and whether they think the investment is worth it , i'm hoping i've put this in the right place as I was not sure whether to post it under computer control ?.

If you go onto the Freiwald Forum I think you will find quite a few do use it.

I just use JMRI's DecoderPro with a Sprog2 and find it does what I want.

If you have a Lenz system you also have their decoder programmer, so spoilt for choice

Cheers

Keith

BTW if you use TC why have Railcom?

AFAIK The only extra function you get is putting an unknown loco on the track and it is instantly recognised, whereas without it you have to add it manually.

Edited by melmerby

On iTrain the befit of using Railcom is as you suggest it will indentify an unknown loco, but tis is actually very powerful as it will also identify the position of all locos and trains when you switch the control on meaning that you dont end up with phantom trains showing on the control panel that aren't there and feedbacks showing as occupied but not identifying anything in the section. it is also very useful when you have multiple locos in a feedback/block as Railcom can identify and display multiple locos in the same feedback/block

The last benefit is that the loco direction is fed back to the controil program renoving the direction issues when you switch the layout or control programme on.

• RMweb Premium

On iTrain the befit of using Railcom is as you suggest it will indentify an unknown loco, but tis is actually very powerful as it will also identify the position of all locos and trains when you switch the control on meaning that you dont end up with phantom trains showing on the control panel that aren't there and feedbacks showing as occupied but not identifying anything in the section. it is also very useful when you have multiple locos in a feedback/block as Railcom can identify and display multiple locos in the same feedback/block

The last benefit is that the loco direction is fed back to the controil program renoving the direction issues when you switch the layout or control programme on.

Hi Iain

I'm not quite sure what you mean as TrainController doesn't lose loco/train positions when you switch it off.*

Also it will when using Railcom do exactly the same as iTrain. TC can also show multiple locos in a block, so my comment about what extra Railcom gives stands.

*However if you shuffle everything around in between............

This was discussed back in 2013 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79070-recommended-programs-for-use-with-railcom/&do=findComment&comment=1240432

Post #10 seems to contain a lot of info.

Cheers

Keith

ITrain doesn’t lose anything either if the layout is in the same state as when you switched it off, however manual sting without the programme - which I often do - could and does cause confusion for programs that don’t use Railcom or BiDiB as they don’t know what is occupying the occupied feedback/block - with Railcom the positions are reset to actual without any work by the operator

I use Train Programmer for programming locos. It works well and is integrated into Train Controller.

Frederick

I use Train Programmer for programming locos. It works well and is integrated into Train Controller.

Frederick

Thank you Frederick, it was that aspect I was looking for opinions on and you've answered it nicely , i'm trying to simplify things as much as I can as a Stroke means that multi tasking is increasingly difficult for me and I still have masses of TC configurations to do so an integrated solution should help .

Thank you Frederick, it was that aspect I was looking for opinions on and you've answered it nicely , i'm trying to simplify things as much as I can as a Stroke means that multi tasking is increasingly difficult for me and I still have masses of TC configurations to do so an integrated solution should help .

Hi,

If you need any assistance with Train Programmer feel free to contact me via email.

Frederick