Model buses for Sheffield Exchange

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Which RTP buses are suitable for mid sixties buses in Sheffield. I have the EFE Atlantean, Regent with rear door, and a 50s livery PD1 that needs repainting.

I would like a Regent V with front entrance which is the most like a Sheffield one for repainting?

EFE do a BET body single decker would that do for the Leyland Olympic and Leopard buses?

The EFE MW coach body can be used for the Leyland Leopard with ECW body.

Which model is most suitable for repainting into a Sheffield Transport PD2 with tin front. I wish there was a Bristol KSW with highbridge body I could convert to a Sheffield PD2 with ECW body.

EFE did a Bridgmaster is that suitable for a Sheffield one?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi All

Which RTP buses are suitable for mid sixties buses in Sheffield. I have the EFE Atlantean, Regent with rear door, and a 50s livery PD1 that needs repainting.

I would like a Regent V with front entrance which is the most like a Sheffield one for repainting?

EFE do a BET body single decker would that do for the Leyland Olympic and Leopard buses?

The EFE MW coach body can be used for the Leyland Leopard with ECW body.

Which model is most suitable for repainting into a Sheffield Transport PD2 with tin front. I wish there was a Bristol KSW with highbridge body I could convert to a Sheffield PD2 with ECW body.

EFE did a Bridgmaster is that suitable for a Sheffield one?

Hi Clive

For the PD2 the Corgi Chesterfield 40901 looks okay for a repaint. But the PD2 carried. two different livery, Sheffield history.co.uk and South Yorkshire bus museum for information both versions are preserved.

Sheffield did have a front loading bridgemaster, the EFE Renowns on Hattons are all okay but would need the following,route number above two destination blinds , destination blind on the side and route number on the rear, just so you know you have missed your bus.

Derek 19b

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You could always use vehicles from elsewhere as well, Sheffield Corporation had a wide operating area resulting in a number of jointly operated services with neighbouring municipalities as well with as operators such as Yorkshire Traction, Yorkshire Woollen and East Midland.

To oversimplify, pedantically not, Sheffield Corporation was the A fleet only, the Joint Omnibus/railway company B and C fleets were the shared services.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Visually was there any difference between the A B C fleets ? - there are number of photos at http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/ including this one http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/?p=24749 from 1967 which shows a B fleet vehicle on a category A service

None whatsoever in regards of liveries, other than the small A, B & C letters by the fleet numbers, but differences in accounting methods, official ownership and the ability to circumvent rules and buy ECW bodied buses, amongst others.

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was intrigued by the above question what's the difference between fleets, knowing that two PD2 are preserved one has rear doors the other just the usual open back.

A fleet numbered 1 to 999 owned by Sheffield corporation

B fleet numbered 1251 to 1400 joint between Sheffield corporation and the railway company ( originally LMS &LNER)

C fleet numbered 1150 to 1250 owned by the railway company, for such routes as Retford, Gainsborough Halifax Manchester (don't fancy a trip over either the snake pass or Woodhead in a sixtys bus, when you have the choice of a nice comfy train.

Management of the fleets were common hence the cross overs.

On the bridge master there were only 7 units 519 to 524 rear loading and 525 front loading.

The bus you could have terminating at Sheffield Exchange is the 69 from Rotherham, which could be The rear entrance Damilers or Crossley.

Www.old-bus-photos.co.uk is great for information on old busses.

Regards

Derek

• RMweb Gold

I was intrigued by the above question what's the difference between fleets, knowing that two PD2 are preserved one has rear doors the other just the usual open back.

A fleet numbered 1 to 999 owned by Sheffield corporation

B fleet numbered 1251 to 1400 joint between Sheffield corporation and the railway company ( originally LMS &LNER)

C fleet numbered 1150 to 1250 owned by the railway company, for such routes as Retford, Gainsborough Halifax Manchester (don't fancy a trip over either the snake pass or Woodhead in a sixtys bus, when you have the choice of a nice comfy train.

Management of the fleets were common hence the cross overs.

On the bridge master there were only 7 units 519 to 524 rear loading and 525 front loading.

The bus you could have terminating at Sheffield Exchange is the 69 from Rotherham, which could be The rear entrance Damilers or Crossley.

Www.old-bus-photos.co.uk is great for information on old busses.

Regards

Derek

You've never lived until you've been over the Pennines in a 1950's Regent111.

Mike.