RMweb

N Gauge layout help

Daz85UK

Hi Everyone,

First post here although I have been lurking for a while.

I having allocated a space in a room to allow me to build an N gauge model railway however I cannot find a track plan that works. I have had multiple tries on Anyrail and the layout just doesn't work for one reason or another.

I thought I would post the dimensions available to me and see what you guys come up with?

I have been to quite a few model railway exhibitions, most recently the great electric show and I really Iliked the two layouts "Peakstone" and "Hatch End" although I have a little more space than Peakstone but alot less than Hatch End.

The era I'd like to model in is early to mid 90's as this was the time I used to go to my local railway bridge to watch trains as a child.

I always remember watching loco hauled trains either run round or another loco coupling to the back of a train and taking the rake of coaches out the way it came again leaving the original loco to travel back to the depot, therefore I have been trying to incorportate a bay platform or add more than 2 through tracks to try and have a station that I could recreate the above, I would also like a TMD somewhere aswell if possible just to allow some shunting.

Ideally I would like a continuous run layout rather than end to end with a fiddle yard behind a backscene using PECO Code 55 track and DCC.

I know this is a long list of wants but no matter what I try in anyrail I cannot get the track where I would like it without having really tight radius curves.

I would post a pic of some attempts on anyrail but they have not really got to a point that even resembles a model a railway.

Dimensions are below

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply it will be greatly appreciated.

post-35281-0-49129000-1539716296.jpg

Assuming the L is against two walls it is going to be a real challenge to design a workable layout

I doodled an 00 gauge L in anyrail which I believe a reader used as a basis for his layout which I attach below to illustrate the problem, either you have a sharply curved platform or you have the platform on the back of the continuous run...

Now if you had a spiral at each end and the hidden fiddle yard at low level.....

post-21665-0-80334400-1539736663_thumb.png

post-21665-0-59122800-1539736713.png

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the longer sides would be up against a wall, I was think of maybe losing the L shape and just having a 7' x 3' layout which would be on wheels so that I could pull it away from the wall, that way I could get to all sides withut an issue.

I was also looking at having a 10x3' layout however 3 of the 10' would need to be seperated when im not using the layout.

This is my first layout so im not sure if this would be to difficult to do and how quickly I could re-attach the layout together when I want to use it.

Just for planning purposesI have a couple of questions:

1) How long would an N gauge station platform need to be for a loco hauled train pulling 5 mk2/3s? I don't have any stock at the moment to measure.

2) Im using Anyrail to plan, how far apart should parallel tracks be when straight and when curved? I guess anyrail measures from centre of one rail to centre of another.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Just for planning purposesI have a couple of questions:

1) How long would an N gauge station platform need to be for a loco hauled train pulling 5 mk2/3s? I don't have any stock at the moment to measure.

2) Im using Anyrail to plan, how far apart should parallel tracks be when straight and when curved? I guess anyrail measures from centre of one rail to centre of another.

Hi

1) Around 840mm

2) The Peco gauge sets them at 27mm.

Cheers

Paul

A Mark 3 coach is six inches, a Mark 1 or 2 is 5.5. inches - those half inches don't half add up

A full HST 7+2 comes in at 52 inches - go Eastern with 8 coaches and it's a whopping 58 inches long

A class 40/45/47 and 7 Mark 2s would be 44.5 inches

A class 40/45/47 with 5 Mark 2s would be 33.5 inches

HSTs are lovely but unless you can accept short rakes then expect it to compromise space (station and fiddleyard will need > 53 inches to hold it) unless you have it by the bucket load.

If you want to run 5 mk 2 coaches. You could try a low relief type station with just enough platform to hold a loco and two coaches visible?

That's a option I am going for on Milton Grove Tmd

Something like this...

post-6906-0-11746800-1539812890_thumb.jpgpost-6906-0-69574000-1539812907.jpg

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of this layout that inspired me to go for this option. But you get the general idea.

• Like 1

Those layouts are great! I think I might go with that option for the station.

As i mentioned above i could have a slightly longer layout if i split off 3’ of it when storing. Is this worth the hassle for the extra 3’?

If so how quickly do you guys who have split layouts fit them together again when you want to use it?

I wouldn't bother. Well, I wouldn't make it an essential part of the layout, because you're just putting an obstacle in your way to using it, which means you'll do so less.

I'd keep it simple, you have space for a 7' x 2'6" solid board with the add-on to make it L shape. That's actually a pretty good space in N. Concentrate on the main rectangle, and any add-ons can be optional and done later.

• RMweb Gold

Assuming the L is against two walls it is going to be a real challenge to design a workable layout

I doodled an 00 gauge L in anyrail which I believe a reader used as a basis for his layout which I attach below to illustrate the problem, either you have a sharply curved platform or you have the platform on the back of the continuous run...

Now if you had a spiral at each end and the hidden fiddle yard at low level.....

OP has asked about building an N gauge layout, not 00.

It's not the ideal space but plenty of options possible in N, especially if employing some "tricks" such as the part station.

Apart from era, OP does not tell us too much about the sort of operating potential that he wants. I would be tempted to forget the L shape and just stick with 7' x 2'6 otherwise access to the corner is going to be very difficult. Or, alternatively, keep the L shape and reduce to 2' width.

For maximum scope, I would have main-line running at the lower level and a second level more in branch line/freight mode with shunting etc. I did just such a design a few years ago when N Gauge Society magazine was running a competition for designs which would fit on a door.

Also don't make your layout permanently fixed to the wall - keep it mobile, makes it easier to do work on the far side of it if you can pull it out rather than stretch over - i made that mistake, it also made wiring a nightmare as i had to do it all looking up underneath rather than on it's side and accessible.

Thanks guys, woodenhead, I was planning on keeping it seperate from the wall for the reasons you stated above however if I go L shape then I would not have the option of moving it away from the wall.

I think I might do as zomboid said and go with 7’ x 2.6’ with the option for the L shape.

I would like to have a bit of loco swapping in the platforms or running around and some shunting, so i think my best option is to have the partially hidden platforms and a small yarm/TMD.

post-32260-0-58828000-1539951083_thumb.jpg

My layout, Sunnisyde, is L shaped, the main part is 34"wide and 99" long with the short side 15" by 45". there are stations on the short side, a terminus, and on either side of the triple lines at the front. There's a foot or so missing on the right and 9" or so on the left in the photo.

• Like 1

If you forget the L you could do something like this.  You could ad a facing crossover for the bays but I wouldn't it makes more moves for the arriving DMU to back out from the through platform and then shut back into the bay.  The H/S spurs is a ploy I used to get trains too long for the loop into the loop, into one spur set back into the other and then drive out,

post-21665-0-93483900-1540010128_thumb.png

• Like 2

The plan is in Anyrail the free version so I had to add some straights in "Paint"   [Edit]  It  uses Peco Set track 2nd and 3rd radius which is code 80 for the sharp hidden curves, and code 80 streamline for the gentler radius points,  I avoided 1st radius as I understand not all N gauge locos (Dapol) can get round 1st radius (9").   I think you could directly substitute code 55 for 80 on these but I am not aware of any code 55 2nd/3rd radius curves, and with only 30" width you will need 2nd  (10.4") and 3rd (11.8" radius) to get round and still leave some room outside the trackwork.  Note some of the outer is 2nd radius to compensate for the curved points while all the inner is 2nd radius.

Edited by DavidCBroad

Im sure this has been asked before, what radius is the tightest i could get away with? I wont be using steam locos, stock would be late 80s to late 90s with possibly some modern day locos such as a class 66.

Also what is the tightest radius for a curved station platform before it starts to look out of place?

9inch radius 1, is the tightest. But It can cause issues with loco's and rolling stock trying to jump the curve.

I am using rad 2 and 3 curves which allows my class 40 and 66's flow with out faults.

My N gauge layout is 8ftx2ft with a 2inch extension on the front at one end. Although a different scenario than yours (it’s a Cornish branch with a clay works and a freight only line) I can run a 7+2 HST or 47 with 8 Mk1 for the holiday traffic. Granted they don’t stop at the little station but the loop easily takes 14 CDA wagons or 20 standard mineral wagons.

I’ve managed to stick to 12inch radius on the visible sections with large radius points on the passenger lines. The main line tightens to 10.5 on the hidden section and 9inch for the branch. Everything (steam and diesel) runs fine despite my dodgy track laying.

Hello all

Your talking about curves and what you can get away with

I see that someone has put the video up of Shaweport which I built about 15 years ago.

The curves were first radius 9 inch PECO code 80. And one train was a full length WCML typical train with MK3 coaches and a DVT and this was pushed from the rear usually by a class 87 and it never derailed.

All my layouts use 9 inch radius curves and all my stock including a class 40 goes round no trouble.

I don’t have any steamers so cannot comment about them.

Thanks Steve