Layout based on a trainset

bodmin65

Hi everyone,

I purchased a Bachmann oo gauge rural commuter train set ages ago, in order to kick start my renewed interest in model railways again after several years break. I've come up with this idea so far as a stopping place for the class 105 cravens contained in the set.  The size would be 8ft x 1ft and the area to the left would be a hidden fiddle yard, maybe with a traverser.

just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this plan? 

post-33296-0-51345900-1540818560_thumb.jpg

Edited by bodmin65

• RMweb Gold

Looks good - Y points are always a good spacesaver.

Am guessing you will want some freight traffic in addition to the DMU?

In which case a kick back to a goods shed or similar facility might add interest from both a scenic and operational perspective

Which side do you intend to operate/view from?

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Ok! So thinking from an operational point of view you wouldnt be able to shunt the new siding if your DMU is occupying the platform.

How about taking the kick back off the centre road crossing over via a short diamond? I think the geometry is correct .....would solve that problem and give it less of a train set feel, especially if you curve the siding gently.....

Phil

Not sure that's what Phil meant. You now don't actually have any passing loop, & almost can't shunt anything in that kick-back siding as the only access to it is two very short headshunts.

I'd have stuck with your second plan, but switched the location of the platform from the bottom loop to the top one. Simples. ;)

• RMweb Gold

You are right there F-unit!

Cant do what I suggested with Hornby pointwork - would need to be Peco streamline....

Kick back off centre of the 3 roads crossing over the platform access road with a small diamond....

Your suggestion to move the platform is better as it achieves the same end with Hornby track - allows shunting of the kick back when platform is occupied.

Phil

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I would come at it from a slightly different angle and ask, what is the purpose of the various loops and the sidings? And along the same lines (haha), would a real terminus be laid out like that?

If you have a clear idea of what it's all for then it's more likely to be interesting to operate.

Is the bottom right spur long enough for a loco to stand while the points are changed? Remember that once the bug bites you'll probably get new locos that might be bigger.

An R600 is good as a headshunt for something 08 sized, IIRC.

Not necessarily a major issue if you're planning on short trains with small locos. Bigger engines could run round via the platform line - some would call or frustrating to have to do that, others operational interest...

I would go with code 75 streamilne from the start.    The 67mm Settrack spacing is much too wide for such a small layout and I would pull the loop track in to somewhere around 44 mm from the streamline 50mm to give that extra bit of space.

The arrival platform almost invariably has a straight run in on full size railways where there is only one arrival platform. All trains would arrive at the platform and generally no other arriving move would be sgnalled on such a small station.   Usually the branch passenger loco would haul the daily goods and two trains in the station would be an event probably reserved for one or two times a year.

My plan involves using the FY as a headshunt.  Goods arrives at Platform. Loco runs round and shunts outgoing wagons from siding into loop,

loco then shunts train into siding.  At this point the crew have a brew/pint/ etc  and possibly the passenger comes if its a DMU or Auto Train.

Loco then shunts brakevan intom platform road, then adds outgoing wagons to form train and is signalled away from the platform road, 

post-21665-0-88003600-1540983679_thumb.png

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

A slight alteration if I may:

post-9147-0-75325800-1540994974.jpg

Goods shed added to the siding at the end of the loop line for a bit of additional operational interest. The track spacing between the platform line and the loop line would probably need to be increased a bit to accommodate it and the long siding would need shortening slightly so the buffers are against the end wall of the shed.

Ref track used, it looks to be Peco Medium radius left and right handed points plus flexi track. However, the choice of code 75 or code 100 would be down to what sort of stock you plan on running; is the stock you have in mind new rtr (c75)? or are you looking at older secondhand items (c100)? Also, if you're not confident on using flexi track and would prefer to use set track straights then it's easier to use code 100 points as the rail heights will match.

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

Good call, loading platform plus end loading dock if the long siding runs right up to it.

Which has the added operational interest of needing to clear the long siding if you have traffic that requires the end loading dock. A right pain on the prototype, where the object of the exercise is to get the job done, but a significant plus on a small model where we want to add play value.

I think the goods shed would be a little overpowering on such a small layout - perhaps a simple loading bank?

Which has the added operational interest of needing to clear the long siding if you have traffic that requires the end loading dock. A right pain on the prototype, where the object of the exercise is to get the job done, but a significant plus on a small model where we want to add play value.

Revised:

post-9147-0-20828100-1541057208.jpg

Just need to find out whether the OPs stock and abilities are more suited to code 75 or code 100 now.

I actually started something very similar to that a few years ago:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73312-north-quay-test-plank/?p=1288006

Bit less length than you've got, and it could fit your width if you drop the back platform and track.

Still got the board drawn up and it is one that pops into head frequently!

• RMweb Premium

I like this a lot - it's a bit different but quite believable and by suggesting the loop offstage left it could be made to appear deceptively spacious. I'd be tempted to play it as a former through station on a truncated line by extending the platform road beyond the buffers to the baseboard edge, the last couple of inches buried in weeds and perhaps blocked by a closed level crossing gate (not an original idea - see Morfa Mawr for example) as per this terrible sketch.

post-6813-0-00328400-1541075910_thumb.jpg

Operationally, simple cassettes would be useful if you don't want to be handling the stock too much.

• Like 1