Vallejo Paint Matches

• RMweb Gold

I am needing to stock up on a fair few paint colours (a mixture of needing to replace tins of Phoenix which have dried solid and those which I have used up.)

I have been using a few shades from the Vallejo range for weathering, and really liked useing them.  The grey black in particular has proved very useful for roofs, and as a start for weathering smokeboxes.  

I am looking for close matches to GWR chocolate and cream, freight grey and loco green.

I am also in need of some more modern colours, espicially Royal Mail red, warning yellow (pre 98) and Intercity coach (buff, falcon grey), a fuller list of matches would also be very handy if there is one.

Can anyone pass on any advice please?

thanks 

Rich

• Like 1

I have represented GWR freight grey as a 50-50 mix of Vallejo Nato Black and USAF Dark Grey, both (IIRC) available in the Model Air range. This gives a very dark grey, which stands for lead paint that is oxidising from its original, lighter colour. The USAF Dark Grey alone might do for the lighter grey preferred by the preservationists.

If you search the forum, probably in the blogs section, you will find Mikkel's Vallejo-recipe for the chocolate and the cream.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am needing to stock up on a fair few paint colours (a mixture of needing to replace tins of Phoenix which have dried solid and those which I have used up.)

I have been using a few shades from the Vallejo range for weathering, and really liked useing them.  The grey black in particular has proved very useful for roofs, and as a start for weathering smokeboxes.  

I am looking for close matches to GWR chocolate and cream, freight grey and loco green.

I am also in need of some more modern colours, espicially Royal Mail red, warning yellow (pre 98) and Intercity coach (buff, falcon grey), a fuller list of matches would also be very handy if there is one.

Can anyone pass on any advice please?

thanks 

Rich

Rich,

One of the 6 or so RAL colours the Royal Mail use is RAL3000. Vallejo model color equates to 70947 Red (or dark vermillion on some labels). I also use it for red stripe on original Rfd locos. I don't always use a primer with Vallejo, but the various reds get better depth, especially if you use black.

Warning panel yellow (pre '98) also has a number of RAL numbers that meet RSSB standards:

RAL1003 - Vallejo Model AIR 71.135 I.J.A chrome yellow. Looks like the deeper yellow of early Rfd loco's

RAL 1004 - not available from Vallejo

RAL 1018 - Vallejo Model Color 70.952 Lemon Yellow. to my eyes it is plain wrong. Ideal for American CNW though!

RAL 1021 - No Vallejo match

RAL 1023 - Vallejo Model Color 70.975 Deep Yellow. Great for banger blue loco's...

I will cover Rfd greys when I next have half an hour spare.

If you are new to spraying Vallejo, you will find that sealing each colour with their varnish saves masking tape peeling your paint off. Look out for their latest polyurethane varnish as it is way better than the old stuff. In over 30 years of spray painting, it is the best paint I have used.

I have a couple of Rfd 47s waiting paint. These will be the guinea pigs for pre '98 warning panel yellow, and railfreight grey. I will post my findings back here once I find the time to paint them!

Go to the Vallejo website and print off the colour conversion catalogue. Very in depth, cross matches Tamiya, Humbrol, Gunze, Games Workshop, RAL and BS colours. Handy to keep in the reference library.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony, I will buy a few of them and give it a go.

Will try the varnish while I am at it.

GWR coach brown I use 70.822 German Cam black brown in the Panzer series. I havent used cream as I only painted a siphon.

Hope that helps

T

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a couple of Rfd 47s waiting paint. These will be the guinea pigs for pre '98 warning panel yellow, and railfreight grey. I will post my findings back here once I find the time to paint them!

Go to the Vallejo website and print off the colour conversion catalogue. Very in depth, cross matches Tamiya, Humbrol, Gunze, Games Workshop, RAL and BS colours. Handy to keep in the reference library.

Cheers

Tony

Look forward to hearing how the rfd locos come out, given I have some rfd in the pipe awaiting paint

I also need to do some more EWS and Mainline blue so will have a look through that list and see if I can find something