RMweb

Dust - how to keep it off a layout (rather than remove it once it's on)

What do you do to keep dust off your layout?  On one side of mine I've got four lift-off sheets of 6mm Depron in light wooden frames which rest on a batten along the back wall and on a lift-off sectional ply "wall" at the front.  This works for me because it's straightforward: there's no backscene and no scenery more than 5" high, so the "lids" are only 6" above the baseboard.

One the other side of the room, however, we have a chimney breast in the middle of the wall along which the other main baseboard is built, so the front-back dimension varies by a foot or so.  Not only that, but the backscene on this side is 10" above the board.  So if I do similar lift-off lids on this side as well, I'm going to need 6 rather than 4, each pair of them will have to go back in the same place each time, and my lift-off front "wall" is going to be 10" high.

I kep wondering if this isn't in danger of getting a bit unworkable, but I can't think of an alternative approach.  Is there one?  

NB "Don't worry about dust getting on, just hoover it off when it does" is not an option ...

What do you do to keep dust off your layout?  On one side of mine I've got four lift-off sheets of 6mm Depron in light wooden frames which rest on a batten along the back wall and on a lift-off sectional ply "wall" at the front.  This works for me because it's straightforward: there's no backscene and no scenery more than 5" high, so the "lids" are only 6" above the baseboard.

One the other side of the room, however, we have a chimney breast in the middle of the wall along which the other main baseboard is built, so the front-back dimension varies by a foot or so.  Not only that, but the backscene on this side is 10" above the board.  So if I do similar lift-off lids on this side as well, I'm going to need 6 rather than 4, each pair of them will have to go back in the same place each time, and my lift-off front "wall" is going to be 10" high.

I kep wondering if this isn't in danger of getting a bit unworkable, but I can't think of an alternative approach.  Is there one?  

NB "Don't worry about dust getting on, just hoover it off when it does" is not an option ...

See here for one solution http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82059-worseter-update/page-33

• Like 1

Dust is an interesting topic. I notice that it depends on where your layout is housed as to what kind of dust you are going to get as well as how much. Ours is in an outbuilding so we get virtually no dust but do sometimes suffer from dead woodlice!

If you use it continually, it wont have a chance to settle, but i know what you mean.

Sorry, I don't understand.  I can't see the connection between frequency of use and whether or not dust settles on a layout. 

I think he means that dust can't settle while a layout is being used - unless you have got someone putting up shelves with a hammer drill while you are operating it that is.

However, as most dust is the result of dead human skin cells, and other fibrous matter from soft furnishings etc, if your layout is away from or insulated from your domestic living areas, then dust shouldn't be much of a problem. But, if you were to model the North East, you would find that the little people on your layout would take care of it for you by gathering it all up and using it a ballast.

• RMweb Gold

Mine's in what the squeeze insists is a bedroom but I think of as a railway room with a bed in it; this is a fairly dust-free environment, and the railway is used, if not on a daily basis, very frequently.  Dust does not seem to be an issue, but I occasionally run over the tops of some of my locos with a soft brush to tidy them up.  In the meantime, I just assume it's ash dust from the depot...

• Like 1

Dust is an interesting topic. I notice that it depends on where your layout is housed as to what kind of dust you are going to get as well as how much. Ours is in an outbuilding so we get virtually no dust but do sometimes suffer from dead woodlice!

The live ones are still in hiding! While you're not there, they've been crawling everywhere, like the spiders have too. It always amuses me when exhibition layouts have dead critters, and spider's threads strung between trees and telegraph poles etc. They've cleaned the track, but that's it!  

• Like 1

I think he means that dust can't settle while a layout is being used ...

Why not?

If I leave the layout uncovered right now, and I come back 24 laters later, some dust will have fallen all over it.  That's primarily because we live in an old, draughty house heated by woodstoves, but also because it's in the nature of dust to settle on horizontal surfaces.

If I were to keep the layout in continual operation for the next 24 hours, why would the same amount of dust not have fallen on it by this time tomorrow? 

Sorry if I'm being retarded here, but I don't follow.

Edited by spikey

The live ones are still in hiding! While you're not there, they've been crawling everywhere, like the spiders have too. It always amuses me when exhibition layouts have dead critters, and spider's threads strung between trees and telegraph poles etc. They've cleaned the track, but that's it!  

That's so funny! You are absolutely right as well, so thank you for such a good laugh you had me in stitches there. The little sods undoubtedly have a ball once the light is off and all human presence is absent. Interestingly, it is the turntable pit that usually has to be cleared of deceased insects. I did use to think they dropped onto the layout from the ceiling, which is still the most probable route for most of them, but who knows what goes on after dark?

At least I haven't had trouble with SLUGS!!!

Edited by Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

A roll of "Jiffy" foam wrap cut into manageable lengths and laid directly over the layout. It's cheap, very light, easily removed before a running session and replaced afterwards.

Simply indicate the upper side of each sheet by placing a small piece of insulation tape in one corner to ensure it goes back the same way up thus avoiding putting the dusty (if any) side down inadvertantly.

• Like 1

A roll of "Jiffy" foam wrap cut into manageable lengths and laid directly over the layout. It's cheap, very light, easily removed before a running session and replaced afterwards.

Simply indicate the upper side of each sheet by placing a small piece of insulation tape in one corner to ensure it goes back the same way up thus avoiding putting the dusty (if any) side down inadvertantly.

Brilliant!  Thank you, kind sir.  I'd never have thought of that one.  Presumably it works OK (with care, obviously) over trees, signals and other fragile sticky-uppy scenic bits?

• RMweb Gold

Why not?

If I leave the layout uncovered right now, and I come back 24 laters later, some dust will have fallen all over it.  That's primarily because we live in an old, draughty house heated by woodstoves, but also because it's in the nature of dust to settle on horizontal surfaces.

If I were to keep the layout in continual operation for the next 24 hours, why would the same amount of dust not have fallen on it by this time tomorrow? 

Sorry if I'm being retarded here, but I don't follow.

I cannot explain this phenomenon, just report what I observe!  The layout stays dust free (not entirely, but largely) and track/pickup dirt is lessened by frequent use, though to be fair the railway room is a fairly dust-free environment anyway compared to the living room which has patio doors which are opened as much as possible; this is, IMHO, the source of most of the dust.  

Now, if you really want a conundrum, explain why one of my 8750 panniers attracts more dust than the other one!  It's beyond me...

surely in a room with the door shut, new dust, is at a minimum. I have a 20x12 room with 5 layouts, none appear particularly affected, from i day to the next. I have a Dapol track cleaning wagon, that regularly does the rounds, but tis fair to say, it collects very little. Track stays fairly clean.

... surely in a room with the door shut, new dust, is at a minimum ...

Yes.  But as I said above "... we live in an old, draughty house heated by woodstoves."  Also, there is no door to the railway room.

Thank you to the folks who have kindly come up with alternative solutions to my problem. 

I'm now sorted.