Tyneside model railway exhibition

26power

Doesn’t seem to be a thread for this? If i’ve missed it please delete this! Nor a listing in the exhibitions calendar.

Website here has limited info: http://www.newcastlemodelrailway.org.uk/exhibition

Have attended regularly in past years but lack of info on layouts attending this year means some doubts about undertaking a cross border and cross country journey to attend!

Doesn’t seem to be a thread for this? If i’ve missed it please delete this! Nor a listing in the exhibitions calendar.

Website here has limited info: http://www.newcastlemodelrailway.org.uk/exhibition

Have attended regularly in past years but lack of info on layouts attending this year means some doubts about undertaking a cross border and cross country journey to attend!

Some information on layouts here;

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/17221-NewcastleandDistrictModelRailwaySocietyExhibition

Andy

Can I please ask a favour; if anyone visiting or exhibiting at Newcastle this weekend gets a chance, can you possibly see if Dave Alexander has any of his kits of the Tyneside Parcels van remaining? 

I have tried calling a couple of times, but it has rung out to message bank each time, and I don't expect him to return a phone call to Australia. 

I understand he has announced he is retiring at the end of the year               

http://www.durhammodellers.com/news.htm              

and if he does still have a sample in stock, I'll double down on my efforts to reach him on the phone and place an order.

Thank you.

Cheers

Scott

Can I please ask a favour; if anyone visiting or exhibiting at Newcastle this weekend gets a chance, can you possibly see if Dave Alexander has any of his kits of the Tyneside Parcels van remaining? 

If he's there, I'll ask but I do know that he has been ill recently and he wasn't for example, at the local RailexNE show back in July...

• RMweb Gold

If you are coming in from the South (A167) on the Sunday morning, be aware that the road will be closed in Gateshead for Remembrance Sunday. Go early or after lunch if you don't want a torturous detour.

Mike

Or simply keep on the A1 and turn off on to the A184 at the Askew Road interchange.

Can I please ask a favour; if anyone visiting or exhibiting at Newcastle this weekend gets a chance, can you possibly see if Dave Alexander has any of his kits of the Tyneside Parcels van remaining?

I have tried calling a couple of times, but it has rung out to message bank each time, and I don't expect him to return a phone call to Australia.

and if he does still have a sample in stock, I'll double down on my efforts to reach him on the phone and place an order.

Thank you.

Cheers

Scott

Dave wasn’t at the show and, as I understand it, he is finished with the business and it may well be up for sale.

John

Thank you.

Cheers

Scott

Dave wasn’t at the show and, as I understand it, he is finished with the business and it may well be up for sale.

John

That does seem to be the general story.

I also went to the exhibition (and cracking good it was too) and had asked around beforehand and, noting his absence, asked of him on Saturday afternoon.

I received similar answers.

A good few of us would like to hear more - particularly about his former etches - many of which he said he would never re-issue.

About the exhibition:

The two great draws were South Pelaw junction (beautifully displayed) and Lime Street which I'd only ever seen before on the web. Another I found quite breathtaking was a layout from the midlands (Rowington for Shrewley by R&F Wright- Hewins) of the GW just pre-grouping somehere in the vicinity of Southam, Warwicks.

The scratch building on this was astonishing: a freight train with a load including a RAF biplane which delighted a small boy alongside me. The owner told me to look for the working inside gear (painted in weathered red) under the enormous boiler of the Great Bear as it passed-by hauling a set of very varied GW maroon coaches.

I overheard a small group of operators of another layout talking about the costs and expenses of mounting such exhibitions and I am ashamed to admit I had never given a thought to it.

They were saying that their own society exhibition would fit into less than half of one of Heaton school's (where two of my grandchildren go) indoor sports halls. They were talking of expenses of £1500 for attending a two day exhibition - and that Lime St required 2 Luton vans and, I think, 4 operators travelling and staying overnight from Lancs.

In view of the comments at the top of this thread about 'apathy' - there must be some big money risks in mounting such an exhibition as this Newcastle one.

Presumably the 'appearance money' paid out to exhibitors must be offset by money paid in by traders and hopefully balanced by entry fees from visitors.

Not a task for the apathetic to embark upon at all!

dh

Exhibition Costs

DH

Pleased you thought about the costs of layouts at exhibitions. It is a fine act making sure income exceeds outgoings and most of us exhibition managers do our best.

In over 40 years of organising exhibitions the third one I did made a loss. Accommodation was the killer. The first two I was in a position to accommodate exhibitors, remember the days when we slept in sleeping bags at peoples houses? Nowadays everybody wants a quality B&B or hotel. A house move and then being 300 miles from the venue did not work.I had to put six people up in B&B and it broke the bank. Have you ever tried to organise an exhibition 300 miles form where you live?

I ended up doing it a second time when I moved just before the actual exhibition and traveled back to oversee everything. We covered all our costs that time round.

Things have changed and visitors expect so much more for their money nowadays. The one exhibitor that is not welcome is the one that asks for more than his outgoings. I had one who said he needed the money to pay for the cost of buying the models and materials to build his layout. When I exhibit I rarely ask for my actual costs. It is my hobby and I do it because I enjoy it not to make money from it. Needless to say the said person did not get any invites from other exhibition managers within the area. We all talk to each other whenever we meet up. 

Philip

South Pelaw Junction was excellent. I could have watched for hours, a real sense of location and a masterclass in wagon weathering and prototypical variety.

Paul A.

Indeed, I had the pleasure of watching a pair of 24's banked by a 9F, among others. Edited by Norm81