Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Arkansas & Mississippi RR

JAMO

It's only a O-16.5 mm diorama to shoot photos.

The "new" layout is still under construction: I'm building it for my son. It's a switching layout.

The size is only less than 7 ft x 1 ft + the fiddle yard.

I'll show you soon... stay tuned please!

• Like 1

It's only a O-16.5 mm diorama to shoot photos.

I thought the track & ballast looked a bit overscale ;) although the scenery is really good! 

Glad to see some F-Units are on the roster!! :D You need something reliable for when all those Alcos fail in service!! :sarcastichand:

• Like 1

I thought the track & ballast looked a bit overscale ;) although the scenery is really good! 

Glad to see some F-Units are on the roster!! :D You need something reliable for when all those Alcos fail in service!! :sarcastichand:

Yes, that's right about the ballast. But I can live with this kind of ballast when I shoot HO scale models.

F-units: mmmmh! Nice locomotives.

Alcos can be out of order? Really?  :D  :D  :D  :D 

• 9 months later...

And I've tried to modify molded grab iron by installing fine metal ones made of 0,3 mm wire.

It works... but it's a difficult work for me when I rebuild the ladders. 

These two grabs are easy to change. I just need to repaint them in white and to weather the car.

1925455393_WagonsUSJM021.jpg.f3d51316e732919bef6b0c3d5ee5bdc7.jpg

598828535_WagonsUSJM022.jpg.b47e9f057a523973be4291c871e5bfcc.jpg

• Like 4

On 14/09/2019 at 07:47, JAMO said:

And I've tried to modify molded grab iron by installing fine metal ones made of 0,3 mm wire.

It works... but it's a difficult work for me when I rebuild the ladders. 

These two grabs are easy to change. I just need to repaint them in white and to weather the car.

1925455393_WagonsUSJM021.jpg.f3d51316e732919bef6b0c3d5ee5bdc7.jpg

598828535_WagonsUSJM022.jpg.b47e9f057a523973be4291c871e5bfcc.jpg

I need to do that to my Weaver O covered hoppers. I even have Atlas grab irons I bought as spares ready & waiting!! :rolleyes: :blush:

Edited by F-UnitMad
spelling!!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I need to do that to my Weaver O covered hoppers. I even have Atlas vrab irons I bought as spares ready & waiting!! :rolleyes: :blush:

Yes, me too. For O scale, it's very realistic to do but I have a twentieth cars to modify. A long work for a winter... 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

That looks very good Jack.

I made my own grab handles from brass wire, (Thrifty Yorkshireman :rolleyes:.) 

The small amount of effort is worth the big improvement in appearance. 

Has anybody replaced the running boards with finer metal ones? 

Keep up the good work.

Mike.

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

• Like 3

Thank you Jack,

It is a Weaver O Scale one.  I did it as a test piece to see how it would look compared to Atlas Master hoppers. I have 3 or 4 more ACF hoppers that I need to do. This one does compare well with the Atlas ones now, just need to find suitable replacement running boards.

“O Scale or no scale.”

• Like 2

Ah ok, I understand why it's so fine! O scale is a nice scale for the details and my "used" eyes. The presence of the rolling stock is good.

I have a lot of Weaver covered hoppers to modify like that. It will be a pleasure to do. The result looks great!

About running board, I don't know. Maybe directly from Atlas or P&D hobby shop... or to make them in photo etched plates.

Des Plaines Hobbies acquired the Plano O-scale roof walks made for 40ft boxcars, 2- and 4-bay covd hoppers and they are nice.

A few years back DPH had sold out and they're not on the current 'in-stock' list if that's up-to-date.  They're certainly worth doing if only because they're the first thing we see looking down on our models!  I'll send DPH an email.

Jason

Edited by jasond
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jasond said:

Des Plaines Hobbies acquired the Plano O-scale roof walks made for 40ft boxcars, 2- and 4-bay covd hoppers and they are nice.

A few years back DPH had sold out and they're not on the current 'in-stock' list if that's up-to-date.  They're certainly worth doing if only because they're the first thing we see looking down on our models!  I'll send DPH an email.

Jason

An American contact I have over on Western Thunder Forum told me he spoke to Des Plaines himself at the Chicago March Meet last year; there are no plans to re-do the O Scale etches at all. :cry:

A shame really as there seems to be a demand for them. I'd have at least two for starters - if they were available I'd then be more likely to look at more Weaver covered hoppers, which means I'd need more roofwalks. 

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

An American contact I have over on Western Thunder Forum told me he spoke to Des Plaines himself at the Chicago March Meet last year; there are no plans to re-do the O Scale etches at all.

They are a business, and not likely to produce anything unless sure of the demand .

A shame really as there seems to be a demand for them. I'd have at least two for starters

That should make all the difference...

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

well aware the reasons why DP have decided not to re-do them would be based on the economics of it...

That’s the whole problem: as the rtr stuff gets better and better, there is less demand for this sort of thing.

• Agree 2