Class 91 InterCity repaint

Looks to have been finished now as LNER have posted this on their Twitter feed;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dr4ZxkMX4AETo-n.jpg:large

There are a couple of paths in the schedule for this Thursday which might be for its test run.

5Z20 13.55 Bounds Green T&RSMD to Doncaster  http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N05903/2018/11/15/advanced

5Z50 18.49 Doncaster West Yard to Bounds Green T&RSMD  http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N05904/2018/11/15/advanced

Apparently these paths are for something else.

A proper sensible livery at last!

Davey

• RMweb Gold

According to a Twitter post from LNER this morning, 91119 should be working these today for anyone who's interested;

08.45 Leeds to Kings Cross

11.30 Kings Cross to Edinburgh

17.00 Edinburgh to Kings Cross

• RMweb Gold

That is awesome, but wouldn't King's Cross be a better option than Paddington? I mean, seeing as how the 91's were ordered specifically for the ECML, and have worked side by side with 43's all along.

But wouldn't it be fun to run a Class 91 into Paddington and show GWR what a proper electric train looks like!

• Like 1

But wouldn't it be fun to run a Class 91 into Paddington and show GWR what a proper electric train looks like!

Might be fun, but I was thinking along the same lines as Zomboid and going for the proper 90's feel.

It would be fun at Paddington, but it would be better at Kings Cross where HSTs have operated from for pretty much as long as there have been HSTs.

Why not do both? Have the HST power car drag the 91 between the stations (since the Acton Wells connection is not electrified so the GWML is isolated from the rest of the electrified network...)

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just for information, the reliability modification program the locos went through added the extra air intake grill. As the loco and original livery were designed for each other, it could not be exactly correct as the loco has changed.

They could have panted it half white  / half black though to maintain the illusion it wasn't there.

Bloody h££l ken been out that long! Was on bounds green job last week wish I'd poked about a bit more.

Do you reckon you can come to work in BR uniform if you have it?

I often put BR gear on if I have large logo 37s, if they can wear BR uniform so can I !

Yes Russ, it's been out of action a while. It was that bad initial rumours had it that it was going to be stripped for spares!

Still do have a BR uniform, and an Intercity one for that matter (the later suit type). Trouble is, even if I reckoned I'd get away with wearing it, I wouldn't know in advance when I'd have the loco to match.

• Like 3

You know, the more I look at the images from 91119 'out and about' yesterday that are seemingly everywhere on the 'net/social media, the more I'm struck by the lack of visual 'clash' between locomotive and leading coach, particularly in the classic 3/4 front view. There's little or no whinging about the new loco colours either, which is nice :)

• RMweb Gold

Looks great. Brings back memories of sitting at Ranskill level crossing with Dad watching them fly through!

Tom.

Thanks for posting these.

Although I'm absolutely gutted to realise that I was sat just to the left during the first video; on KGX Platform 0 on a 387; completely oblivious to the history being revisited just a few yards away... I always look back at the other platforms as I leave, but by that time it had departed.

Superb livery and effort none the less.

Cheers

Rob

I'll see if it's I'm Leeds on Saturday when traveling to the smoke.

Must dig out the scanned negatives as when introduced I got photos of all in west Yorkshire.

Next a garter blue one? Or lined out Apple green?

It does look absolutely stunning- the original livery fits the shape far better- but it does make the loco show it's age! It's weird how a HST or 91 in a modern livery looks, well, modern, but they look old-fashioned in their original liveries. Although I like Swallow I think reverse blue/grey as used on the Blue Pullman and Prototype HST sets might have aged better.

It's weird how a HST or 91 in a modern livery looks, well, modern,

I don't agree there - the HST in the current GWR livery is just a big green lump - neither modern nor old, just a lump with a pointy front. The previous First livery was similar, only blue. There are much better ones where they've actually made an effort so this is not a universal criticism of modern liveries, but some they just don't seem to have bothered.

On first inspection it looks great but then something rattled my pea brain as to not being quite right - anyone else noticed that the InterCity Swallow on this side is upside down? The longer part of the forked tail should be to the bottom whereas it's the opposite on this side of the loco (although correct on the opposing side).

91111, BTW, still has it's mouse - from the time when it was named 'Terence Cuneo'

KGX yesterday;

L/H side below radiator grill (think it's just on one side but couldn't check the other)

post-30014-0-46469100-1542497021_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ken.W
  • Like 8