Welsh Highland Railway 4t 6cwt open wagon

hayfield

For the past 2 years I have built up an interest in 7mm narrow gauge railways (after a visit to the Ffestiniog Railway). I quickly got a Bachmann Porter 2 Peco loco kits and 1 of their coach kits.

One of my main interest is in track building and I wanted something different from the RTR offerings. I have experimented with Copperclad turnout construction, built plain track from wooden stained coffee stirers, and have built turnouts from Peco and C&L 7mm plastic sleepers and Peco pandrol chairs and code 82 rail. But never got around to but thought a lot about building stock.

I have the 7mm Narrow Gauge Assiocation Welsh Highland Railway Rolling Stock Plans Book, I keep turning the pages looking for what I could build, the 4ton 6 cwt wagon always looked a prime starter. The other day I was looking at some 4mm wagon spares I have built ,and a Cooper Craft GWR 11' wagon underframe kit looked promising. The wheel base was almost spot on and the wagon floor was within a couple of mm in length.

post-1131-127183641597_thumb.jpg

Here is my first effort part completed, it needs the bolt heads glueing on (about 200) and a brake lever fitting. Then painting and a decission on what couplings to fit. The tiebars between the W irons need removing as does some of the detail on the brake gear.

Construction was simple. I built the sides from 60 thou plastic card, scoring the planks on both sides with a Tamya scriber. I then cut the sides and ends and stuck them to the Cooper Craft floor. I cut the Cooper Craft solebars to length and fitted brass top hat bearings into the axle holes before gluing the solebars to the floor. Strapping was cut from 10 thou plasticard and stuck in place. I fitted Bachmann wheels and the Coopercraft brake gear.

post-1131-127183698868_thumb.jpg

As I said still some work to do before painting, I have looked at the Ratio cask wagon underframe which looks prommising as does the Parkside 10' LMS underframe. I have also thought about using etched brass W irons. As for coaches I have a nice set of whitemetal bogies and I guess the Ratio 4 wheel coach chassis would also work but coach sides will take much more work, perhapps a 4 wheel brake van next.

For the past 2 years I have built up an interest in 7mm narrow gauge railways (after a visit to the Ffestiniog Railway). I quickly got a Bachmann Porter 2 Peco loco kits and 1 of their coach kits.

One of my main interest is in track building and I wanted something different from the RTR offerings. I have experimented with Copperclad turnout construction, built plain track from wooden stained coffee stirers, and have built turnouts from Peco and C&L 7mm plastic sleepers and Peco pandrol chairs and code 82 rail. But never got around to but thought a lot about building stock.

I have the 7mm Narrow Gauge Assiocation Welsh Highland Railway Rolling Stock Plans Book, I keep turning the pages looking for what I could build, the 4ton 6 cwt wagon always looked a prime starter. The other day I was looking at some 4mm wagon spares I have built ,and a Cooper Craft GWR 11' wagon underframe kit looked promising. The wheel base was almost spot on and the wagon floor was within a couple of mm in length.

post-1131-127183641597_thumb.jpg

Here is my first effort part completed, it needs the bolt heads glueing on (about 200) and a brake lever fitting. Then painting and a decission on what couplings to fit. The tiebars between the W irons need removing as does some of the detail on the brake gear.

Construction was simple. I built the sides from 60 thou plastic card, scoring the planks on both sides with a Tamya scriber. I then cut the sides and ends and stuck them to the Cooper Craft floor. I cut the Cooper Craft solebars to length and fitted brass top hat bearings into the axle holes before gluing the solebars to the floor. Strapping was cut from 10 thou plasticard and stuck in place. I fitted Bachmann wheels and the Coopercraft brake gear.

post-1131-127183698868_thumb.jpg

As I said still some work to do before painting, I have looked at the Ratio cask wagon underframe which looks prommising as does the Parkside 10' LMS underframe. I have also thought about using etched brass W irons. As for coaches I have a nice set of whitemetal bogies and I guess the Ratio 4 wheel coach chassis would also work but coach sides will take much more work, perhapps a 4 wheel brake van next.

Blatant plug for myself here (if the mods allow it) you obviously enjoy scratchbuilding judging by the excellent wagon, but it is available as a kit from Port Wynnstay Models along with the small 2 ton wooden wagon a number of Festiniog coaches and wagons. A foldup brass chassis, originally for the Festiniog Mk3 Quarrymans coaches and their derivatives is also available.

For plastic chassis and floors you may find the Parkside range useful, I use PA 07 for wagons and quarrymans coaches and PC48, PC64 for longer freelance coaches, all easily available direct from Parkside Dundas.

Phil Traxson

Just a point to add to the above, (Not an ad for me this time). The 7mm Narrow Gauge Association have their annual Exhibition on Saturday 8th of May at

Burton-upon-Trent Town Hall

King Edward Place

Burton-upon-Trent

Staffordshire

DE14 2EB

All that's best in 7mm narrow gauge layouts, full trade support, refreshments, a real ale bar and a large free car park.

Phil T.

now you said the magic words! 'real ale bar'! i wont be sober to drive to work lmao

phil, if your going, im hoping to pop over on the saturday, would be nice to have a chat smile.gif

marti

I can't afford to be anywhere else! Best sales day of the year for me. (thats probably blown it for this year!!) Do note that it is only a one day show.

Tim tells me he managed to persuade you to take out membership at Shepshed, didn't manage to get there this time until late Sunday, just in time to act as transport back to base for Tim and the stand.

I'll try and put a few patterns and moulds in to show you if you like, just let me know.

Phil T.

I can't afford to be anywhere else! Best sales day of the year for me. (thats probably blown it for this year!!) Do note that it is only a one day show.

Tim tells me he managed to persuade you to take out membership at Shepshed, didn't manage to get there this time until late Sunday, just in time to act as transport back to base for Tim and the stand.

I'll try and put a few patterns and moulds in to show you if you like, just let me know.

Phil T.

ill bring my cigarette box of bits over again :P]

and yes to the moulds and bits :)

martin

I like the wagon John. Have just started on 7mm ng and come here looking for inspiration! Did my first scratch built open wagon body this week - I'm quite happy with it, although it's not as good as yours (forgot to scribe the planks into the inside blink.gif ). It's attached to an old Hornby open wagon chassis - just wondering how much of this to cut away now?

Hi Hayfield,

You're more likely to get a wider narrow gauge modelling audience over at http://ngrm-online.com I know the members there would be interested in seeing what you are doing.

Superb work! Every time I see handmade track in 7mm I keep thinking I should give it a go in 009.

Archived