The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

phone and email scammers

raymw

You can. There are devices where the person outside can only ring the bell if they know the four-digit code. You can disable it for those times of day when you are expecting post, deliveries, etc.

But what is to stop them from simply knocking on the door in that case?

[Assuming that it isn't a shared door for a block of flats etc.]

While I don't particularly like people who waste time with these calls, I did have a thought about asking a simple mathmatical question ("I can only talk to you if you can answer, what is 2+2?"), then argue that the (hopefully correct) answer is incorrect!

"I'm sorry, that is not the answer I have on the card..."

What is annoying is that software exists that allows the phone companies to automatically block auto dialler calls before they get to their customer.

For a so called regulated industry telecoms is a nightmare

Failing that see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzhokhar_Dudayev

Dudayev was killed on 21 April 1996, by two laser-guided missiles when he was using a satellite phone, after his location was detected by a Russian reconnaissance aircraft, which intercepted his phone call.[15] At the time Dudaev was reportedly talking to a liberal deputy of the Duma in Moscow, supposedly Konstantin Borovoy.[16]Additional aircraft were dispatched (a Su-24MR and a Su-25) to locate Dudayev and fire a guided missile.

Perhaps a service BT might like to offer!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...