NCE Pro Cab & Command Station Help.

dugdug03

Good afternoon All,

Hopefully someone is able to help a DCC noobie..

So over the last few days we have had issues with the NCE Power Pro Command Station (5 AMP power booster) and NCE Pro Cab.

1st off we were unable to get any loco's to respond to the Pro Cab and wondered if the Command Station had given up.

• Both ends of the flat cable were plugged into the control BUS sockets as advised in the manual
  • Status light off (right hand side)
  • Track light glowing sold orange
  • Status light glowing sold red (left hand side)
  • Coiled cable for Pro Cab in CAB BUS socket and connected to Pro Cab
  • Pro Cab started up and we could enter commands but nothing happened.

• With the multi meter we had a reading of around 13.8 from the power source into the command station.
  • No reading from the track output socket on the command station
  • No reading from the program track output socket on the command station
  • Removed the cover of the command station to check all plates were secure and nothing was loose.
  • Removed round battery and replaced/ Powered back up
  • Received the following message : NCE PROCAB V1.3 & CAB ADDRESS = 02 (We got stuck on this screen and was unable to proceed)
  • Unplugged ProCab
  • Plugged back in (while holding Select Loco)
  • Completed Factory Reset and Handset Reset
  • Multi meter reading of around 13.8 from the power source into the command station.
  • Received 0.2 reading from the track output socket 
  • Received 0.2 reading from the program track output socket 

With the 5 AMP booster, shouldn't we get a higher reading?

After all of the above we managed to get the Pro Cab to respond and the loco's to move, the sounds also worked.... Briefly

around 15 to 30 seconds later the Pro Cab fails to response to any commands although you could select them, The horns would also blast out loud after 15-30 seconds, 

The only way to stop this was to turn off at the power source, We also noticed that on occasions the Pro Cab screen would freeze and not allow any commands to be selected even if previously nothing happened when you could select them.

I am really at a loss now and was hoping someone with more knowledge could help? I am thinking something is causing a short somewhere but there is only 4 straights of peco track joined together and the power is connected at 1 end and is not a continuous loop.

Hopefully i have explained this as best as i can, Any question please fire away!

Edited by dugdug03

• RMweb Premium

I suggest disconnecting the track feed at the command station end and checking the track voltage output. Don't forget you'll measure very little if anything on the DC range on your meter, you need to use the AC range.

That should confirm whether there is something amiss inside the Power Pro.

According to the manual you can plug the ProCab straight into the Power Pro but you need to connect it to the Cab Bus socket not the Control Bus socket. You have to connect the Control bus socket adjacent to the Cab Bus socket to one of the other two control bus sockets presumably with a flat ribbon cable. You don't need to link the two adjacent control bus sockets to each other..

You could try checking the (AC) voltage from the programming track output.

One thing I would suggest that you check the daughter board inside the black box is connected correctly to the motherboard.This can occasionally be an issue if the box has been knocked or dropped.

Disconnect the System Box from all cables.  Remove the 4 screws from the bottom of the System box and slide the cover off.  The daughter board is connected to the motherboard with a stack of connectors - check they are connected properly and if necessary re-seat.  Also check that the EPROM in the daughter board is fully pushed into the socket.  Replace the cover and screws and reconnect the cables in order to test.

I suggest disconnecting the track feed at the command station end and checking the track voltage output. Don't forget you'll measure very little if anything on the DC range on your meter, you need to use the AC range.

That should confirm whether there is something amiss inside the Power Pro.

According to the manual you can plug the ProCab straight into the Power Pro but you need to connect it to the Cab Bus socket not the Control Bus socket. You have to connect the Control bus socket adjacent to the Cab Bus socket to one of the other two control bus sockets presumably with a flat ribbon cable. You don't need to link the two adjacent control bus sockets to each other..

You could try checking the (AC) voltage from the programming track output.

To follow on Ray's text with a picture

post-29185-0-42763200-1542900849_thumb.png

Edited by BrendanS

• 1 month later...