Are model EMUs getting scarce?

Of no interest to me currently, EMUs are evidently an untapped resource for future RTR as many have commented.  And here, I reckon the right varieties are in your crosshairs.

DC, AC and dual-voltage, Electrostars (357, 375, 377, 378, 379 and 387) are so widespread and prolific plus they work to Milton Keynes, run in 3, 4 and 5-car formations in a variety of liveries for half a dozen or more operators (see below) and will spend 33 years in the public eye, most probably.  That must feature in any would-be manufacturer's business case.

• 357 Essex Thamesside (C2C)
  • 375 South Eastern Trains
  • 377 Southern/ Thameslink
  • 378 London Overground
  • 379 Anglia
  • 387 Thameslink, GWR, Essex

That's 7 isn't it?

And onto the 319s - whilst at Thameslink they had several liveries, of varying attractiveness, but crucially including the popular NSE, and as they worked south of the river from the late eighties they can justifiably run alongside NSE diesels and slam door units.  Their new use on Northern and imminent introduction as electro-diesels in various places will, I think, make them a very attractive proposition in model form.

The 378s are  Captialstars rather than Electrostars, similar to the 376s  used by SouthEastern. They're different to the Electrostars, in having different doors and glazing and slightly different cabs.

• RMweb Gold

Risky venture or not, Hornby's decision a few years back to produce the BIL and HAL units gave the opportunity in R2R form to incorporate that missing element from the Southern steam era - electrification.

Together with the associated infrastructure, the operation of EMUs on a predominantly steam layout can add immensely to the prototypical "feel". Arguably, in reality multiple unit operation would have outnumbered steam workings and there lies a problem.

Speaking from a purely Southern point of view there is not enough variety of EMUs for the steam era unless one has the necessary skills to go down the kit route.

As documented by others, the cost of producing multi-carriage units adds considerably to the financial gamble; will modellers be prepared to fork out sums in the region of £300-£500 for what is essentially ONE model in order to fulfill their requirements?

Hi,

Is it multiple units in general that are getting difficult for manufacturers to finance?.

The Kernow 2-Hampshire has no centre car - a situation more like 1960's models. The Bachmann Cl101 has no centre car.

Bachmann may have its own plan for future multiple units. It has a backlog of non DCC multiple units to update/replace. Bachmann are going to introduce low profile drive mechanisms including with the 3 car Class 117 with two coreless? motors. They may see how that performs and is greeted by buyers before considering another EMU.

Hornby has it problems but presumably financed the Class 800 on the basis its a new train that replaces the iconic HST so if they don't go in now Bachmann  might buy the livery licence/1:1 outline CAD info. The class 800 is also an express train rather than a commuter sardine special.

Regards

Nick

Hi,

Is it multiple units in general that are getting difficult for manufacturers to finance?.

The Kernow 2-Hampshire has no centre car - a situation more like 1960's models. The Bachmann Cl101 has no centre car.

Bachmann may have its own plan for future multiple units. It has a backlog of non DCC multiple units to update/replace. Bachmann are going to introduce low profile drive mechanisms including with the 3 car Class 117 with two coreless? motors. They may see how that performs and is greeted by buyers before considering another EMU.

Hornby has it problems but presumably financed the Class 800 on the basis its a new train that replaces the iconic HST so if they don't go in now Bachmann  might buy the livery licence/1:1 outline CAD info. The class 800 is also an express train rather than a commuter sardine special.

Regards

Nick

Looking ahead, from Bachmann, we have the brand new 2 HAP arriving sometime next year and the 4 BEP still seems to be planned, but no date.

Of course, the folk at Southern Pride and Britannia Pacific are still churning out those rarer SR, ER (and LMR?) EMU's, although they need a bit of detailing to match modern, mass produced stock.

Looking ahead, from Bachmann, we have the brand new 2 HAP arriving sometime next year and the 4 BEP still seems to be planned, but no date.

Of course, the folk at Southern Pride and Britannia Pacific are still churning out those rarer SR, ER (and LMR?) EMU's, although they need a bit of detailing to match modern, mass produced stock.

Hi,

I think the Bachmann 2-HAP was in grey (EP?) at Warley. I'm after some Blue ones so I may have to wait a while after the first batch.

I'm not sure Southern Pride are churning out  BR(SR) Mk1 EMUs as they don't seem to have had the CIG, BIG, REP and Original BEP in stock for many years.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Having more or less finished my DC Kits one, I'm amazed no RTR manufacturer has announced one yet, as that is usually what happens when I build a kit! :yes:

That’s because I’m only two cars into building my DC kits one. When I get the three car bodies onto chassis then expect an announcement!

Andi

• Like 1