Steam at Brighton in 1965

Trev52A

As a 14-year old on holiday deep in 3rd-rail emu territory (or so I thought) in Brighton, I was amazed when this Standard 2-6-4T arrived in the station on 14th April 1965.

It is difficult to tell whether this was a passenger or parcels train from my picture, although the first vehicle appears to be a CCT and there is a parcels or mail barrow on the platform.

post-24907-0-26920200-1543173897_thumb.jpg

80151 at Brighton on 14th April 1965

Could anyone please tell me if this was still a regular occurrence so late in the day on the Southern's Central Division?

(My forum search didn't turn up the answer)

Thanks in advance

Trevor 

Hmm - having problems loading the picture tonight. It appears on my preview page but not on the published one. I will keep trying.

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hmm - having problems loading the picture tonight. It appears on my preview page but not on the published one. I will keep trying.

Hi Trevor,

Sorry I can't help with your enquiry, but I also seem to be having trouble loading photos on to another thread. Mine keep disappearing, finally managed it at the fourth attempt.

• RMweb Gold

Brighton loco closed the year previously but odd steam workings could still be observed in the area.

One that springs to mind was the through train from Brighton to the West which owing to a shortage of ETH vehicles was worked by steam as late as early 1966, hauled, I believe by an Eastleigh or Fratton engine.

The headcode carried by the Standard Tank denoted an East coastway route to Eastbourne or Kemp Town (SEMG info).

Perhaps she was having a last minute look at her birthplace and having a premonition of her future at Sheffield Park.

• Like 1

I'd suggest it was going up the main line as I doubt there was direct access from that platform to the east coast line towards Lewes; similarly no access to the west coast line either.

I remember going on a steam hauled train with the scouts from Brighton to Horsham in 1964 or 65 when we were camping near Warnham. Although i was interested in trains then I sadly didn't take too much notice of the details, but do remember it was on a single track line so must have been via the line with the cement works on it to Christ Hospital.

Brighton loco closed the year previously but odd steam workings could still be observed in the area.

One that springs to mind was the through train from Brighton to the West which owing to a shortage of ETH vehicles was worked by steam as late as early 1966, hauled, I believe by an Eastleigh or Fratton engine.

The headcode carried by the Standard Tank denoted an East coastway route to Eastbourne or Kemp Town (SEMG info).

Perhaps she was having a last minute look at her birthplace and having a premonition of her future at Sheffield Park.

Thanks for this. Would the same headcode apply for passenger and goods/parcels trains? Surely emus would have a monopoly of the passenger workings from Eastbourne? 

(Pardon my ignorance of Southern headcodes!)

Cheers

Trevor

It could be one of several services. Oxted line service via Uckfield or Horsham to Brighton. Have a look at Ian Nolan's flickr account he has lots of photos around the southern in the 1965 period especially Hove and Brighton https://www.flickr.com/photos/31890193@N08/albums/with/72157643950295015

Keith

Thanks for the link to Ian's flickr site - amazing coverage of all things Southern (and beyond). First time I've seen a picture of Aldrington Halt, for example - I used that station several times in 1965 and 1966 when holidaying with relatives in Hove!

I'll dig out some old railway mags and see what I can find regarding steam workings in Brighton in April 1965.

Cheers

Trevor

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for this. Would the same headcode apply for passenger and goods/parcels trains? Surely emus would have a monopoly of the passenger workings from Eastbourne? 

(Pardon my ignorance of Southern headcodes!)

Cheers

Trevor

Hi Trevor

Southern Region steam headcodes denoted the route irrespective of which type of train was being hauled, exceptions being Royal specials and the like. Certain changes were implemented over time as lines closed

Yes, regular scheduled passenger services as far as Ore (Hastings) were indeed in the hands of HAL and BIL multiple units in 1965 and so as you mention, this would have most probably been a van working.