Comet 3F Jinty Chassis Issue

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Although black shaded insignia was more common for freight locos post 1928, I do prefer the red version you've used it looks more thought-about.  I like the short-###d driver too.

I think you'll find the short a*$ed driver is actually the fireman. These are right-hand drive engines.

• RMweb Gold

Next project is the Model Loco Ltd/DJH Black 5. This was purchased off Ebay and the previous owner had part assembled some the body and most of the chassis. However, the body was glued together with Epoxy and copious amounts of superglue rather than solder.

There were a few gaps here and there and as I prefer to solder things anyway I took it apart. I removed the cab and dismantled it completely, including steps, floor, backhead, sides, roof and fittings. I removed the boiIer assembly from the footplate but left the smokebox/boiler/firebox glue together as it was a neat join and I would probably do more damage than good.

The only detailing items he had fitted were the chimney and dome so I left them in place. 

For the chassis, he had built everything including the motion gear and connecting rods. It was perfectly smooth. However, it looks like he forgot to put the gearbox/motor in before soldering all of the crankpins up.........so, I have had to undo all of his lovely work and it will probably never go back as well as it was!

I am currently putting together a Comet gearbox with 38:1 ratio extender and Mashima 1620 motor to run off the centre axle. Hopefully I will be able to re-assemble the motion gear and connecting rods so it runs as smoothly as it did!!

Since dismantling everything, I have re-soldered the cab, firebox/boiler and added all of the other details such as sand-fillers, handrails, exhaust valves etc. I am waiting for Wizard to send me some lubricators as these were missing from the box and then I can add the piping and other details

post-21193-0-46286100-1545049054_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-90833400-1545049065_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-56912500-1545049376_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good point, however, as usual I couldnt hang around so went at it with an iron last night!! I will continue the subject on the topic I had already started a while back covering this kit. I will copy and paste the above to save typing!!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137609-model-loco-ltd-armstrong-whitworth-lms-black-5/?p=3401521

Thank you

Ian

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1