The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Very old BBC children's TV programme on SS Oriana

steve1

The original ship was launched in 1959 and. i have a memory of the BBC doing a children's TV show following the build of the original vessel with a stern looking chap building a model version in parallel. My particular memory is of him 'launching' the model in real water after film of the prototype being slid into the sea.

I'm not imagining this am I? Could not find anything on line after an admittedly quick search.

Thanks

steve

• RMweb Gold

IIRC from the time, Oriana became a schools educational cruise vessel working out of Southampton where I saw it frequently up on the quay in the New (western) Docks. Although I don't recall the programme BBC Radio Solent might know something, or be prepared to run a breakfast show/drive time appeal for you.

Edit - https://streaming.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00070000/00070437.mp4.m3u8. Pathe news film of the vessel and launch.

Edited by john new

Oriana was the last of the liners built by Vickers at Barrow-in-Furness bar one. She famously had afterdecks constructed in aluminium to save weight and was lavishly fitted out in the latest (50s) style. There is still many men and women living in Barrow-in-Furness who regard Oriana as the finest ship ever built in their home town and reminisce with pride when mention of this ship is made.

Guy

• Like 2

Came here as a  "10 pound pom" on the Oriana in 1971.

Great adventure for an 8 year old, basically a month long world cruise, until my brother came down with measles and we were quarantined on arrival at Sydney because immigration were worried it might be something deadly that he'd picked up on our one day stop in Africa.

But that was an adventure for an 8 year old too, because we got to go in an ambulance.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4