Scrap wagons in the 50's and 60's

sb67

I was wondering what type of wagons would have been used for scrap trains in the 50's and 60's, I know that during the 70' 16t mineral wagons were used but I wondered when they would have been used and what was used before then.

Cheers.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

As Phil stated, 16 ton minerals would be the first choice, albeit in the 50s and early 60s wooden bodied minerals were also used, they were at the end of their working lives, so body damage was not much of a problem.

The prolific South Wales photographer, Bob Masterman snapped a GFYE Cl.37 at Aber Jcn. with scrap loaded in unfitted 21 tonners, circa 1966/67

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

This may be of use:

http://www.igg.org.uk/rail/7-fops/fo-metals.htm

Are you building a scrapyard layout? I have one but it's more 70's to 80's:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2161/entry-20831-frog-hill-breakers-yard/

Had great fun making it, the research was very interesting too!

Thanks Ray, I'll look at that site and I like the look of your layout. I'm just looking at adding a bit of extra traffic to my quayside layout which I was going to use from the 50's through to the 80's.

Steve.

No problem. With regards to mineral wagon loads- I found that iron filings, with a tiny bit of water added and then allowed to dry out on a flat surface can be very effective.

They then oxidize into a range of rusty colours, and can then be treated in the same way as normal ballast - bonded with a PVA glue and water mix.

A sprinkle of non-rusted iron filings on top of that adds a nice metallic "sparkle."

No problem. With regards to mineral wagon loads- I found that iron filings, with a tiny bit of water added and then allowed to dry out on a flat surface can be very effective.

They then oxidize into a range of rusty colours, and can then be treated in the same way as normal ballast - bonded with a PVA glue and water mix.

A sprinkle of non-rusted iron filings on top of that adds a nice metallic "sparkle."

Thanks Ray, damm, where I used to work I could have got an unlimited supply, not now though.

Steve.

Always the way isn't it?

You can get a ridiculous amount on eBay for a couple of squid. It also does for random ground scatter (in a junk yard scene or similar) and as a filler in other scrap loads. The residue glue/water can be used as rust-coloured wash paint, a lot more realistic in colour than shop bought!!