Grampus transfers... which ones?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, I'm hoping to build some unfitted Grampus wagons from a selection of bits and I'm looking at obtaining transfers. Looking at the ModelMasters website there are 3 sheets (1948-1965) available for engineers wagons; they all appear to be identical other than the colour - white, straw or yellow.

This has confused me somewhat as I thought the lettering on unfitted Grampuses was white??

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Ta!

Hi, I'm hoping to build some unfitted Grampus wagons from a selection of bits and I'm looking at obtaining transfers. Looking at the ModelMasters website there are 3 sheets (1948-1965) available for engineers wagons; they all appear to be identical other than the colour - white, straw or yellow.

This has confused me somewhat as I thought the lettering on unfitted Grampuses was white??

Ta!

I wasn't very happy with the ModelMaster transfers that I bought so used those from Cambridge Custom Transfers instead. As for yellow v white, I have seen photographs of both fitted and unfitted with white or yellow lettering.

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't very happy with the ModelMaster transfers that I bought so used those from Cambridge Custom Transfers instead. As for yellow v white, I have seen photographs of both fitted and unfitted with white or yellow lettering.

I've gone for white, seems to be the most common...

Edited by whinge-n-moan

Ta!

Have you got prototype photo's to work from? I had the same problem a few months ago. I'm not at home now but check my workbench thread below, that might help. I'll have a look at what I used when I'm at home.

Steve.

Edited by sb67

Black livery until 1961 should have straw lettering - yellow lining paint. Not many colour photos around from that period, plenty of non repaints from later years where the writing is renewed - in white because that is what goes with the gulf red or olive green engineers liveries from 1961 & 1963 respectively.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes the colour varied over the Region(s) and even areas. I'm sure I got some details about this when I was doing mine for (mainly) Meldon Quarry wagons. I'll try to remember to get that out ASAP if I can actually find it. There may be some info in a couple of books I have, but Paul B's info is spot on as usual.

P

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, deffo worth choosing some Lanarkshire Models Buffers for these wagons; makes a huge difference. Just checked my 'box of kits'. Parkside suggest black with straw lettering for at least steam era. I have also done hybrid versions using Dapol Bodies and PS underframes. They look OK as well. Just going to check my books.P

• RMweb Premium

My best reference book for my period is Don Rowland's BR Wagons, the first half million. There area couple of really helpful pictures/drawings in there but no mention of branding colours. Sorry. CCT doe both Straw and White so I have used both as my layout covers approximately 1958 until 1964/5/6ish.

post-2326-0-40465300-1544270116_thumb.jpg

Not changed the buffers or fitted couplings on these (Grampus is a Broadclyst wagon in my world) and it was really to show the weathering and the SLAG sticker on the van!

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another satisfied user of Cambridge Custom Transfers. Great range which covers all regions and ease of use.

Well recommended.

Cheers,

Mark