Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Toads

Hi,

I have probably phrased the heading wrong But!
What I am trying to find out is:
1)Did all toads have depot names on them?
2)If so, what depots would have serviced trains going through Oxford and/or Princes Risborough areas?
Given I have not grown up with any knowledge of the UK, I have no idea what freight centres there were, and what serviced what areas!

Khris

• RMweb Gold

For Brent my approach was to take the working time table and compile a list of all frights passing through Brent. For each service (up and down) I noted the start location, and where available the traffic type.

From this list it was clear there were certain destinations where a lot of services I need to model started, so initially focused on these services.

• Like 1

Thanks 81C

M.I.B, but they still would have had branding through to the forties I should imagine.
Wouldn't they??
I am making an assumption because of the fact that coaches were not all painted on the same day or even year for that matter, but am quite happy to be corrected as I DO NOT have a clue!

Khris

I suspect that the allocations were deliberately painted out on those Toads which ceased to be allocated to a particular depot. This reasoning being based on the fact that some Toads did remain allocated for various reasons, typically some sort of special fitment (vacuum brakes for mixed train working, for example), and it would have been important that these didn't "stray".

• RMweb Premium

This has been discussed here on the forum before but I can't find the info.

I agree that they didn't disappear overnight, but I'm sure they were gone in the 40s.  But as usual GWR, I bet there's a photo of a branded TOAD in BR days........

• RMweb Gold

This has been discussed here on the forum before but I can't find the info.

I agree that they didn't disappear overnight, but I'm sure they were gone in the 40s.  But as usual GWR, I bet there's a photo of a branded TOAD in BR days........

I recall seeing a post war photo of the Kingsbridge branch toad in the late GW livery with branding....

Im sure I have seen others in the late 40s.

I assume the cessation of allocation was after they changed the livery to the small GW over number 

I recall seeing a post war photo of the Kingsbridge branch toad in the late GW livery with branding....

Im sure I have seen others in the late 40s.

I assume the cessation of allocation was after they changed the livery to the small GW over number 

Some Toads continued to be allocated to particular services, routes or locations right up to the time that they ceased to be used as brake vans in the BR era, so plenty of Toads were still around with an R.U. marking, but the remainder (I assume the majority) were unmarked. All(?) Toads in the BR era were marked "NOT IN COMMON USE", certainly from 1957 and possibly before.

• RMweb Gold

GW Toads were at least in theory in general pool service in BR days, but not in practice!  The WR for many years continued the GW practice of allocating them to particular duties and branding them, and individual guards or small groups of guards were responsible for their upkeep and internal condition; many were kept spotless.  

For Oxford, vans could be seen from a very large area of the GW, even as far as Birkenhead.  Saltney (Chester), Swindon, Severn Tunnel Jc, possibly Gloucester, the various Bristol yards as well as the previous suggestions, would all be grist to the mill.

GW Toads were at least in theory in general pool service in BR days, but not in practice!  The WR for many years continued the GW practice of allocating them to particular duties and branding them, and individual guards or small groups of guards were responsible for their upkeep and internal condition; many were kept spotless.  

The practice continued at certain Western Region yards and depots long after the last 'Toads' had disappeared from revenue service in the early to mid 1960s.

My 'local' yard - Radyr serviced the Cardiff Valleys and during the 1970s one could visit the area and spot BR 'Standard' brake vans branded with a variety of workings / restrictions;

e.g.

"Radyr Junc. for Cardiff Valleys Only"

"Radyr Junc. to work Radyr, Maerdy & Cwmbargoed"

"Return to Radyr"

"Radyr Junc. RU For Cardiff Valleys Only"

Other South Wales examples included;

e.g.

"To work Llantrisant circuit only"

"To work between A.D.Junction, Mon.Bank and Ebbw Vale"

"For use at Swansea E Dock Only"

and / or

"For use at Swansea East Dock Only"