Building a hoist in 4mm

• RMweb Premium

A month or so back, someone put up a picture of a hoist used for transferring stone from a narrow gauge wagon to a standard gauge wagon.   The picture was somewhere in North or mid Wales, but I haven't been able to find it again.  Fairly simple, a couple of beams mounted on two stone piers, with some form of travelling mechanism to move from side to side.

The piers, beams and traveller I can do, where I'm stuck is finding the pulley wheels to move the traveller from side to side, and something to do the lifting, probably a set of chain blocks.  The intention is that the traveller will move, but I suspect that getting the chain block to work is getting a bit too adventurous.

Any suggestions on where to source the parts ?  Internet searches so far have drawn a blank.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

You don't mention scale so we don't know what size pulleys you need.

Some old loco models (Treble-O-Lectric, Jouef) had pulleys and rubber bands as part of their drive system.

Scale is 4mm (see topic title).

I would imagine that the pulleys probably need to be ~4mm (1ft prototype) in diameter.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Bit of 2mm rod with a pair of 2mm axle bearings back to back ? 

I have also used the little brass ferrules that come on the end of guitar strings ( AJ couplings need a fair amount of them) for working crane pulleys. 

• RMweb Gold

You could try a model boat accessories supplier - I have bought bits and pieces for my S&DJR coasters from Cornwall Model Boats  - this page is a search result for pulleys.  https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=pulley&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go%21

You can find thin chain in charity shop jewelry trays - but that is a rather hit and miss approach, but it is worth keeping an eye on such cheap resources. I got a load from a multi-strand necklace.

• RMweb Premium

You could try a model boat accessories supplier - I have bought bits and pieces for my S&DJR coasters from Cornwall Model Boats  - this page is a search result for pulleys.  https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=pulley&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go%21

You can find thin chain in charity shop jewelry trays - but that is a rather hit and miss approach, but it is worth keeping an eye on such cheap resources. I got a load from a multi-strand necklace.

Thanks, that's really useful.  I'll have to work out a shopping list.

Adrian