Hi Folks,

Progress with R3 is coming along well with the body almost complete and fitted to a modified chassis. The lower part of the body side is made from a piece of .040" plasticard glued to the lower edge of the original body with a .010" overlay, this forms a rebate that locates over the chassis and gives the correct height of the body tn relation to the underframe. The doors from the bus kit have been used with the original doors carved away after the glue securing them had cured to give a flush effect rather than the inset style of the class 142.

The modification to the chassis so far involved removing the lower body side that forms the upper edge of the chassis and trimming the width down so that the .010" of the new lower edge of the body side will fit over the reduced width chassis. The ends of the chassis where the battery boxes and other under frame details have been removed are yet to be rebuilt and new drag boxes formed.

DSCF0730.JPG.2b4a3e6c7d6584324ae64d435ba539c4.JPG

R3  next to a 142 for comparison, the camera angle doesn't actually shew to good effect the difference in width and how it makes R3 look quite long in relation to the 142.

While waiting for glue to cure I cut down the width of one of the cabs for RB 002. The lower part of the cab front is not very well fitted up but this doesn't really matter for a fair amount of it will be removed and a new section that will be to a different profile attached.

DSCF0731.JPG.8cf117ab4e10d67090d3b77318948685.JPG

The reduced cab front that yet requires .75mm removed from each side to get it to the correct width.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

Very nice work there Gibbo, I've had a similar project in the back of my mind for ages, but since I have so many other unfinished ones on the go haven't gotten around to it.  I'd also considered trying to do a 141 from the same parts, but was struggling with how I might do the ends.  Seeing that you've successfully (thus far!) narrowed the Hornby cabs, I might try and use that method - I think the 141/Railbus windscreens are more angled back too, which I'm sure you already know, so I'll look forward to seeing how you proceed.  

• Thanks 1

Really interesting project Gibbo, wondered how the issues of body width and height could be tackled with combining bits from the bus kit and the Pacer, looks like you have it sorted though.

I had a ride in one of these prototype single units at the Telford Steam Railway a few years back (forget which one, have some photos somewhere), quite a novel experience.

Martyn.

5 hours ago, JDW said:

Very nice work there Gibbo, I've had a similar project in the back of my mind for ages, but since I have so many other unfinished ones on the go haven't gotten around to it.  I'd also considered trying to do a 141 from the same parts, but was struggling with how I might do the ends.  Seeing that you've successfully (thus far!) narrowed the Hornby cabs, I might try and use that method - I think the 141/Railbus windscreens are more angled back too, which I'm sure you already know, so I'll look forward to seeing how you proceed.  

Hi JDW,

The cabs do look as though they are going in the right direction but time will tell how things work out. A good bit of cutting shutting and filing and fitting should see things right. I haven't got any drawings but I work from photographs mostly from the website linked a few posts back and also below.

http://www.traintesting.com/LEVs.htm

Gibbo.

2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Really interesting project Gibbo, wondered how the issues of body width and height could be tackled with combining bits from the bus kit and the Pacer, looks like you have it sorted though.

I had a ride in one of these prototype single units at the Telford Steam Railway a few years back (forget which one, have some photos somewhere), quite a novel experience.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I'm not sure that the dimensions are exactly correct but it certainly looks right so far. Looking at photographs R3 and RB 002 do look a lot longer than the standard 142 despite being the same length, it is definitely a function of the narrowed width.

There are plenty of photographs in the link in the above post.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

I'm not sure that the dimensions are exactly correct but it certainly looks right so far. Looking at photographs R3 and RB 002 do look a lot longer than the standard 142 despite being the same length, it is definitely a function of the narrowed width.

There are plenty of photographs in the link in the above post.

Gibbo.

It looks great to me, most of my projects would fall under the same principle, often only using photos for reference.

Checking the link it appears to have been RB004 that I travelled on at Telford.

Martyn.

Just now, Signaller69 said:

It looks great to me, most of my projects would fall under the same principle, often only using photos for reference.

Checking the link it appears to have been RB004 that I travelled on at Telford.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Get it scratched in the book as a dud, only four needs to go before they are classed !

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

Hi Folks,

Here is the latest progress with RB 002, the cab fronts have been modified and the sides and cab fronts have been assembled into a body shell. As you may note the sides of RB 002 have the position of the doors oppositely handed to R3, fortunately I didn't get them mixed up when assembling them. 

The profile of the top of the cab fronts does not quite match the roof profile of the bus kit and I decided that the best way to deal with the issue was to build up the body shell and then retroactively alter them. I guess that the difference in profile is because the body of the class 142 is wider than the early rail-busses and was shaped to fit the loading gauge. The lower edges of the body sides have been fitted also and once cured the whole was built up into a body shell.

DSCF0732.JPG.0ab010fe3e39e182c51b37a417b51cde.JPG

Shewing the differing roof profiles.

DSCF0733.JPG.4d435e4d4f9997e166e373e9f5fad04d.JPG

Shewing the 3mm wide .040" strip placed flush with the inside of the original body and the 5mm wide .010" overlay strip that forms the full depth of the body and also the lateral location onto the chassis.

I have also altered the chassis part of the model by cutting of the lower part of the body and paring the top edge of the chassis to the same width of the web of the under frame.

DSCF0734.JPG.1d558c8f80897c95f7891c507816f34e.JPG

Juxtaposition shewing the modification to the chassis. RB 002's chassis needs more work before the body is fitted up but the body has not yet fully cured and is not yet fit for handling.

DSCF0735.JPG.bdccd34ce7e02c0a351808b960f3de37.JPG

Close up of the modification of R3's chassis shewing the relief for the doors, in time similar will be done with Rb 002's chassis.

DSCF0736.JPG.118ebd3b21eeecd8f72bfee2a28d3586.JPG

The two body shells positioned for comparison, RB 002 waiting to cure before fitting to its chassis and re-profiling of the top edge of the cab fronts.

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 05/01/2019 at 22:29, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

The Pullman cars are not going well, I have had some paint pull off with the masking and also when trimming the masking back I have not lined up the tops of the cream panels with the tops of the windows and so they are slightly short on some coaches which will cause trouble with the lining.

I am having a think about what to do, whether I should repair what is done so far or to strip the lot off and start again ?

Is there anyone that would know best the solution to my problem ?

post-34584-0-12595300-1546727351_thumb.jpg

Gibbo.

I admire your patience. I'd have solved the problem with a lot of bad language and a mell hammer!

3 minutes ago, GeoffAlan said:

I admire your patience. I'd have solved the problem with a lot of bad language and a mell hammer!

Hi Geoff,

Should you look at the date posted you may note that patience has turned to ignorance in that all my Pullmans were placed into a box and that box put into the cupboard five months ago !!!

Problem solved....... sort of ........ for now.

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The railbuses are looking good, and I'm surprised how much more angled the front and looks now you've filled the lights etc.  With regards to the roof profile, I believe the same standard roof panels were used for the railbuses/141s as for the 142s, but to fit the wider body they were folded to a shallower/flatter profile.

• Informative/Useful 1

Love this thread gibbo, always something interesting going on, liking the RB's,quite tempting to do a set one day for something different. As much as i hate the 142s these look quite good.

Keep up the great work

James

Edited by jessy1692
Terrible English
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, I'm definitely tempted to have a go at a 141 now - although I still have a 144 in bits that I really ought to finish, having stalled with that project due to my lack of electrical and soldering abilities...

20 hours ago, JDW said:

Yeah, I'm definitely tempted to have a go at a 141 now - although I still have a 144 in bits that I really ought to finish, having stalled with that project due to my lack of electrical and soldering abilities...

Hi JDW,

I've had a look at a class 141 and my comments would be that you will require three Peco bus kits so that you will have enough roof section to do both of the carriages. The sides will be able to be cut and shut in much the same way in that I have done, obviously placing the doors in a different position along with a scratch built driver's door.

A tip for kit buying is that you should get one of the bus kits that has two sets of doors then you have enough to do all four doors on your class 141 for they are not as deeply inset as the doors of the class 142's.

I shall produce some sketch drawings for guidance as to what I have done soon enough which may assist you in how I have formed the sides, fitted the doors from the bus kit and also how I have altered the cab fronts. You ought to be able to use the top of the cab front from the bus kits for your cab front rather than modify the top of the class 142 cab front as I have done.

Should you give it a go do post some photos here !

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Cab front modification added.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gibbo, your thoughts are very welcome and useful.  I probably won't get to it for a while though!  I hadn't thought of using a twin door bus kit, that's a good idea.  You're right with the roof, it'd be handy to have plenty spare in case is mis-cut it too!  As you say I'll likely use the roof ends from the bus kit depending how well I can mate them to the Hornby windscreens.  I'd forgotten the drivers cab door, I'll figure something out for that I'm sure.  I have a copy of Locomotives Illustrated that covers the Railbuses and classes 141-144 so plenty of reference material.  Certainly some more info on how you finish the lower front ends will be useful though.

Thanks for your advice, looking forward to seeing more progress on yours. I'll post pics here if/when I get around to it!

• Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

I have built up the top and upper corners of the cab fronts and partially filed them back to shape using strips of .020" plasticard. The reason that I did not finish the filing was the construction was not quite cured and the edges were rucking up and feathering off in places instead of filing smoothly. The photograph is much better than previous ones in that the white areas are not as over exposed and shew much better the shape so far developed especially the groove in the lower part of the cab. A beaded edge will have to be set around the perimeter of the upper part of the cab front above the windows along with some minor filling to the various scrape marks and joints generally.

DSCF0738.JPG.84580dc683a6c69b7bf67d9257367aec.JPG

The latest work upon the cab fronts.

Gibbo.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Imaginary Class 13

Hi Folks,

Sorry to disappoint rail-bus fans but I have discovered yet another distraction and here it is:

This is a Triang Transcontinetal Switcher that is part way through being bashed into a British hump shunter. I think of it as a proper purpose built class 13 instead of a pair of class 08's lashed together.

The body has been shortened by about 60mm and the cab doors have been set at opposite corners in the blank space where there were no doors previously. The cab spectacle plate windows have been opened out and the doors carved off the short end. The bogies are from a Mantua Tyco contraption that had bogies that looked like the ones Triang fitted originally, although I only ever had the body shell.

The locomotive will eventually be fitted with large Oleo buffers and painted in BR Blue with black and yellow wasp stripe ends.

DSCF0740.JPG.88aaecaabab837c5ddae333707a962f4.JPG

DSCF0741.JPG.6834e6a168c6eb1ea174b57079b12cb4.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

NOT having got on with stuff that I have already started ! Down vote !

It's OK - the soup of projects goes round and round, sometimes slowly and sometimes fast. And from time to time finished things rise to the surface and everyone admires them.

Then after a few weeks the modeller realises that it isn't actually perfect, dismantles it and puts it back into the soup.

Think of it as a form of meditation, or a metaphor for life or some such claptrap!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

It's OK - the soup of projects goes round and round, sometimes slowly and sometimes fast. And from time to time finished things rise to the surface and everyone admires them.

Then after a few weeks the modeller realises that it isn't actually perfect, dismantles it and puts it back into the soup.

Think of it as a form of meditation, or a metaphor for life or some such claptrap!

To think I've just started my new book two days ago, The World as Will and Representation !

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2019 at 19:37, Gibbo675 said:

Should you give it a go do post some photos here !

Gibbo.

As requested... 

20190621_163923.jpg.aaf9a683907c84d6f2201dd719587409.jpg

...progress so far. The long sections are just taped in place to measure the roof. I could just get enough length for two vehicles from three roofs but then I'd have to try and join the gaps in the ribs. Instead I think I'll order another roof section so each roof will be made up from 2x two-thirds of a roof, with the join mostly hidden under the roof pod.

Still a lot of work to do on the cabs and inner ends but starting to look like a 141...

Edited by JDW
  • Like 4

On 21/06/2019 at 17:13, JDW said:

As requested... 

20190621_163923.jpg.aaf9a683907c84d6f2201dd719587409.jpg

...progress so far. The long sections are just taped in place to measure the roof. I could just get enough length for two vehicles from three roofs but then I'd have to try and join the gaps in the ribs. Instead I think I'll order another roof section so each roof will be made up from 2x two-thirds of a roof, with the join mostly hidden under the roof pod.

Still a lot of work to do on the cabs and inner ends but starting to look like a 141...

Hi Jonathan,

Excellent progress and thanks for the input, it is good to see additional content on the thread.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1