Tank wagon identification (Nitric acid?)

Pillar

Can anyone identify the two tank wagons nearest the loco in the pictures attached? The caption states that the train comprises 'two empty nitric acid tanks from Sellafield to Ince & Elton' and four other empty tank wagons.

I haven't found anything so far on the usual websites (Paul Bartlett etc.).

Thanks

Liam

post-10591-0-95240500-1545392891.jpg

post-10591-0-79404700-1545392897.jpg

Edited by Pillar

yet googling 'paul bartlett bogie nitric acid' and switching to 'images' gave me this as the second hit  https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtbogietank2/h1EFF6A69#h1eff6a69

Jon

Not easy to find as the scans date from the days when a file title was 8 characters!  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brtbogietank2/ea2601c6 and others in https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brtbogietank2

I thought the Nitric Acid tank cars were painted white, with an orange band on them.

looking at the main photo, cars 3 & 4 seem to be remarkably clean for tank cars, and given the nature of some acids, could they have been marshalled in the middle of the rake so that there were some barrier wagons protecting them?

I thought the Nitric Acid tank cars were painted white, with an orange band on them.

looking at the main photo, cars 3 & 4 seem to be remarkably clean for tank cars, and given the nature of some acids, could they have been marshalled in the middle of the rake so that there were some barrier wagons protecting them?

White with orange band is for pressurised gases, such as Oxygen and Ammonia.

• Agree 1

The tankers are numbered BRT 84183 - BRT 84192 classed as nitric acid tanks  , originally in UKF livery  , some were later rebranded to Hays for sulphuric acid ( my list shows BRT 84184 , 185 , 192 were in this traffic ) I think the nitric acid  was between Ince and Elton to Sellafield

For those interested Paul Rolley does an O gauge model of them

post-19557-0-74919300-1545504764_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They four wheeled tanks were probably all caustic soda empties but two different wagon diagram types/batches, all 51t but with differing suspension and barrel diameters. Paul Shannon shows inbound to Sellafield Nitric acid from Ince and Caustic Soda from Ellesmere Port in his 'Wagonload' book.

Dave

The tankers are numbered BRT 84183 - BRT 84192 classed as nitric acid tanks  , originally in UKF livery  , some were later rebranded to Hays for sulphuric acid ( my list shows BRT 84184 , 185 , 192 were in this traffic ) I think the nitric acid  was between Ince and Elton to Sellafield

For those interested Paul Rolley does an O gauge model of them

attachicon.gif36566536_10156614108665159_5617270838903439360_n.jpg

I've never come across this suppliers name before, google hasn't found anything, could I ask if you have contact details or a web link please

thanks, I.

I've never come across this suppliers name before, google hasn't found anything, could I ask if you have contact details or a web link please

thanks, I.

I'm not sure if Paul is selling these or not- I know he's done the tank, and a a selection of scrap-carriers for his new 0-gauge layout.  He posts on here as Naturol, so you could try sending a PM

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just received one of Paul's new batch of these tanks to build so if there are anymore pictures out there anyone knows of I would appreciate them, Glad I have stumbled on this thread!

Edited by D6775
  • Like 1