Scottish plan help needed. - Track[plan added 26/4

barney121e

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys

I am planning a 6ft by 4ft N gauge Scottish themed layout. It has a very simple trackplan, just a single track which splits into a double track around the station. I also have a line off into an industrial area. Now i know i could model a whisky distillery, but am wondering if anyone else has any bright ideas.

Cheers

Dave

Just remember that a 6x4 is almost the size of a double bed and needs access/operating space all around it, so actually needs about 10x8ft of free floor. You'd get a much longer run of main line and gentler curves building four 6x1 modules and setting up an 8x6 layout operated from inside. Boxing the modules means they only take 6x1 of floor space when not actually in use.

The benchwork isn't difficult - See here and here.

As to track plans, some suggestions for inspiration could be something like Bridge of Orchy, Crianlarich or Dalmally. A distillery siding need not be complex.

Cheers

David

Hi Guys

I am planning a 6ft by 4ft N gauge Scottish themed layout. It has a very simple trackplan, just a single track which splits into a double track around the station. I also have a line off into an industrial area. Now i know i could model a whisky distillery, but am wondering if anyone else has any bright ideas.

Cheers

Dave

Plenty of other potential scottish cargo - timber etc, intermodal (tesco perhaps ;)), oil, MOD ?

I'm a great fan of taking industrial sidings through the backscene (perhaps with some service areas in front), that way you can operate with whatever you feel like 'in the distance;'

Plenty of other potential scottish cargo - timber etc, intermodal (tesco perhaps ;)), oil, MOD ?

I'm a great fan of taking industrial sidings through the backscene (perhaps with some service areas in front), that way you can operate with whatever you feel like 'in the distance;'

Here here - try to stay away from the shortbread tin image of Scotland. There are lots of potential industries and traffic.

My suggestion would be to spend some time and find out about an industry and the different cargo that would come and go.

Up until the end of speedlink there were lots of short freight services in and around the central belt of Scotland, lots of vans, tanks opens.

John

• RMweb Gold

The intermodal idea had crossed my mind as there used to be one run by Safeway at Georgemas Junction. A small fuel depot was another thought.

Unfortunately the layout has to be 6x4 as although i have access around 80% of it to, swmbo has said it has to stay as it is.

It's a shame i cant think of any milk factories in Sctland that may have used the railway as i have a Walthers milk factory which would not look too out of place. Unless of course someone knows of one???

The dairy at Aberdeen was rail linked- I remember lifting the track there c1975 when it was donated to the Strathspey Railway, but cann't recall the layout, but I am sure there were points included.

Richard

By absolute coincidence I was just enjoying the bizarre sight (Modern Railways Feb '65) of a Brit (70035 IIRC) at Lochmaben on the Perth milk tanks, diverted due to Sunday engineering works. Assuming milk traffic to such destinations required handling/ transhipment of some sort, am I right in thinking there were other rail connected ScR dairies.

I feel sure there was one at Whithorn or somewhere, I've seen photos of it on Sub-brit. Unless I'm confusing it with one of Jamie's finest, of course wink.gif

By absolute coincidence I was just enjoying the bizarre sight (Modern Railways Feb '65) of a Brit (70035 IIRC) at Lochmaben on the Perth milk tanks, diverted due to Sunday engineering works. Assuming milk traffic to such destinations required handling/ transhipment of some sort, am I right in thinking there were other rail connected ScR dairies.

I feel sure there was one at Whithorn or somewhere, I've seen photos of it on Sub-brit. Unless I'm confusing it with one of Jamie's finest, of course wink.gif

Said train (I'm sure it'll be the same train as in the pics sent to me by the Laird of Portwilliam) coming soon-ish to a Culreoch near you ;) ;)

Yes, much milk traffic from Galloway - Sorbie and Colfin to name two, Carnation milk at Maxwelltown (Dumfries) and I believe a big milk place of some sort (!) in the Edinburgh area.

However - best site these things in dairy farming areas, or industrial areas. Sheep on crofts or hill farms aren't usually the source of commercial milk.

• RMweb Gold

Just had a thought about my baseboards, i have three 4x2 boards and am just wondering if i put them into a u shape but ad in a 1 x 2 board at the front, hence making a size of 4ft x 7ft x 6ft, could i make a decent layout, and if so any thoughts on a track plan?

Said train (I'm sure it'll be the same train as in the pics sent to me by the Laird of Portwilliam) coming soon-ish to a Culreoch near you ;) ;)

Yes, much milk traffic from Galloway - Sorbie and Colfin to name two, Carnation milk at Maxwelltown (Dumfries) and I believe a big milk place of some sort (!) in the Edinburgh area.

However - best site these things in dairy farming areas, or industrial areas. Sheep on crofts or hill farms aren't usually the source of commercial milk.

I can't believe that thanks to the celebrated diversity of RMWeb, I'm going to have consignments of Lanark Blue detrained from 2S52 as required:

http://www.cheeseson...ght/Lanark-Blue

EDIT: and that's Deltic-hauled ewe's cheese, for reference wink.gif

Guest stuartp

To add to Jamie's two, Dalbeattie creamery was rail-connected. Whithorn was right next to the station but not connected (presumably it was easy enough to cart the stuff across the yard). Stranraer was likewise across the road from Town station, and the recently-closed Kirkcudbright creamery was at the opposite end of the river bridge from the station with its traffic handled via the station goods yard. Blueband Margerine factory at Bladnoch (Wigtown), its siding shared with the adjacent distillery. Further installations at Castle Kennedy and Dunragit which I think were creameries but might have been more margarine factories, further research required.

I know of only two flows of milk in tanks on ScR - the Perth - London milk tanks referred to earlier, and some road-rail tanks which turned up on the Maxwelltown goods (Dumfries) in the 60s but I know not where they were going to or from (although I could guess !). Most of the traffic from the Galloway creameries seems to have been carried in 12t vans (so presumably cheese rather than cream). Any further excuses to run milk tanks would be gratefully accepted !

Scotland had/has a lot of MoD installations some of which are/were rail-connected - plenty of scope for lots of vans and containers in and out as well as the more obvious vehicles on Warwells and Warflats. Also, having lots of water and being a long way from London, it had a few nuclear power stations - nuclear flask trains have the advantage of being short and looking the same loaded or empty.

Collieries across Ayrshire, the central belt and Fife, loading facilities can be as big or as small as you like. The yards at Michael Colliery at Weymss would probably cover a tennis court even in 'N', the loading point at Chalmerston Opencast (Ayrshire) consists of a single siding with a concrete pad for the bucket loader to drive about on. You don't need to model the colliery itself, there are plenty of examples large and small of NCB locos tripping wagons to and from exchange sidings on the nearest BR line.

What period are you modelling ? A lot of the traffic mentioned above went to road from the 60s onwards even where the line survived.

Too right. The 'harbour' branch on Portwilliam can lead to a harbour, colliery, distillery, quarry or MoD depot depending on what I fancy running. It might even lead to a nuclear power station if Genesis ever get their early Flatrol MJ released.

Aye,

Portwilliam.

[Edited because you would think I'd know how to spell 'Kirkcudbright' by now.]

• RMweb Gold

What period are you modelling ? A lot of the traffic mentioned above went to road from the 60s onwards even where the line survived.

Well it is going to be a run what i want but will be diesels to present day, as not that into steam trains, although one might make a nostalgic visit now and again.

Guest stuartp

You could do worse than get hold of a copy of "Scottish Urban and Rural Branch Lines" by GC O'Hara - loads of inspiration in there from steam in the highlands right through to 08s puttering about Clydeside's dereliction with air-braked stuff. You might need to ask your local library to get it via the inter-library loans service though, it was fetching stupid money on Ebay the last time I looked.

I'd also suggest getting a copy of Modelling Scotland's Railways by Ian Futers. He has built several excellent small space Scottish layouts, including two versions of Lochside (one of my all time favourite layouts) in P4 and 7mm and more recently Ullapool in 7mm.

Cheers

David

I'd also suggest getting a copy of Modelling Scotland's Railways by Ian Futers. He has built several excellent small space Scottish layouts, including two versions of Lochside (one of my all time favourite layouts) in P4 and 7mm and more recently Ullapool in 7mm.

Cheers

David

Seconded: for a modeller in your situation I would heartily recommend this. Whilst it's not really for the main line fanciers, it's packed with commentary on the secondary lines and remoter outposts - complete with prototype rationale, suggested traffics etc...

I had a look at a copy at the Sutton expo at the weekend; ironically my mate called yesterday to say he's starting a ScR layout and the shed's being installed as I type - if I'd known 48-hours earlier I'd definitely have bought him a copy - no hesitation!

• RMweb Gold

I already have Ian Futers book, and also the follow up one called 'Scottish Layout Projects', both of which are excellent.

Maybe i just need to decide in my own mind excellent what i want, either lots of operation or more scenic. Do enjoy scratchbuilding so may go a simple track plan and lots of scenics, but then again.......

My brain hurts!! :lol:

Guest stuartp

Are the two loops at the top of the plan your hidden sidings, or are they the station ? If they're the station then you could have something smilar to the arrangement at Elgin - GNoSR and HR stations next to each other, the GNoSR station was closed in the 60s and used as a goods unloading point complete with gantry crane and hardstandings. Not an industry as such but it adds a bit of a variety.

You've got loads of choice, you just need to decide which bit of Scotland you're modelling. As mentioned, mountains and forest will have different industries to central belt coalfield grot, or Borders dairy farming country.

Maybe i just need to decide in my own mind excellent what i want, either lots of operation or more scenic

Ah yes, I know that conundrum.

• RMweb Gold

Something like Aviemore has a lot of potential. Modern stuff on a single track main line with passing loop, plus steam on the branch. It wouldn't be hard to invent a distillery siding.

Cheers

David

That is a possibiltiy, fairly straightforward plan, scratchbuilding the station could be interesting too.

• RMweb Gold

Are the two loops at the top of the plan your hidden sidings, or are they the station ? If they're the station then you could have something smilar to the arrangement at Elgin - GNoSR and HR stations next to each other, the GNoSR station was closed in the 60s and used as a goods unloading point complete with gantry crane and hardstandings. Not an industry as such but it adds a bit of a variety.

You've got loads of choice, you just need to decide which bit of Scotland you're modelling. As mentioned, mountains and forest will have different industries to central belt coalfield grot, or Borders dairy farming country.

Ah yes, I know that conundrum.

The two loops were hidden sidings but may well have a look at Elgin and see if it catches my interest. An industry isnt totally needed, just a little interest so might do the business.

Archived