Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

What was your first Christmas trainset?

2mmMark

This exact Hornby set...  http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=429 which was okay I guess, although I recall always being a little miffed that it was steam and instead yearned for the blue diesel and blue and grey coaches of this set that was also available at the time... http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=380 (not to mention the added 'excitement' of the operating mail coaches...

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

From what I can remember it was a Hornby GWR Pannier 0-6-0 with some freight wagons.

But I can't find a image of the set

Terry.

Snap! Same set - I was 5 at the time. It came with the controller that fitted on one of those big lantern batteries - I think my Dad got the mains controller shortly after I got that set!

• RMweb Gold

I think it was Christmas 1955 ( I was 6) when I was given a Tri-ang set, a Jinty, some wagons and a brake van along with an oval of grey standard track and a mains controller - probably a spare one of Dad's.

After Christmas I bought 2 coaches (remember the very short Tri-ang ones?) with my present money from other relatives and Dad made a baseboard and I soon had a passing loop and 2 sidings.

Some three years later Dad built himself a layout in the loft and I "inherited" his shed layout, based on Tetbury, but we later replaced that with a layout based on Shepshed.  By then I had Wrenn track and a few more locos.  Meanwhile Dad was building Geat Central locos, though he later reverted to his first love, the Midland Railway.

David

My first was the Lima HST in executive 'Intercity 125' livery, way back in the late 80s/early 90s not sure of the exact year.

I can't remember what happened to it but I know I used to crash it a lot!  :nono:

Happily I no longer crash my trains, at least not intentionally! 

Cheers

My Nan and Grandad blessed me with my first train set, my dad had trains and a layout but this was the first one that was 'mine'. I loved that set and still have the power cars. My set did not include the 'sound tape' that came with some other sets.  

post-6736-0-62514900-1545868491_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Christmas 1968, my Grand Pop gave a 3 year old me a Triang/Hornby NZC3 clockwork train set, my Mother thought I was a bit young....

Sadly that was the last Christmas he was with us.

post-1130-0-88676100-1545896248_thumb.jpg

Today I've reassembled all the bits, I even still have both the keys, the only damage is the Shell oil tank which has been stood and the chassis is broken.

post-1130-0-57850600-1545896369_thumb.jpg

When my son was younger he loved playing with the loco on my layout, I even bought a second one so we could have races. 

I've just noticed that the desk in the first photo is the one in my room, and the television stand now has one of my layout control panels attached to it....

Roger

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

My first train set was delivered by Santa Claus a few days before Christmas 1957 as he seemed to know that my Father would be working on Christmas day!

It was a Hornby Dublo N2 with two bauxite open wagons and a toad brake van.

50 years later I recreated this train set, with the original locomotive and wagons, on the original living room table protected with the original airforce blanket!

My N2 celebrated its 50th birthday December 2007 with a 250 mile trip back to Lisburn, Northern Ireland to my Mother's house for the celebratory run in its first home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SemQO3idM

A further 11 years on it is still in working order but 'between layouts' pending the completion of the train room in my current home.

• Like 5

Hi Folks,

My first locomotive for Christmas, 1974, was a Hornby Triang type 3 D6830 in blue. Rather unfortunately the motor burnt out only a couple of years later, as did the second and third replacement armatures, now long since binned !

Gibbo.