Unusual system built factory identity required

Booking Hall

Whilst carrying out a photographic survey of a location on which we are going to base a layout, I came across this unusual system-built factory (right on the alignment of the line on our proposed layout!). I've never seen this type of construction before, and I was a Building Surveyor in my professional life! As it was on private land I couldn't get up close to identify the wall panel material, but I suspect concrete, or possibly GRP, however, it could be steel. By reference to old maps, it appears to date from the 1950's. Can anyone identify the system please?

post-24883-0-06215800-1545856682_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-25302600-1545856695_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They are actually a form of interlocking concrete block, shaped like a squashed A, and designed, probably amongst other things, so that rainwater flows past the mortar joints, rather than into them. Searching the internet has found more than a few interlocking block walling systems, but not that one, although if it dates from the 1950s, that may not be too surprising.

They are certainly laid like normal brickwork, but clearly need special corner and end blocks.

Jim

They are actually a form of interlocking concrete block, shaped like a squashed A, and designed, probably amongst other things, so that rainwater flows past the mortar joints, rather than into them. Searching the internet has found more than a few interlocking block walling systems, but not that one, although if it dates from the 1950s, that may not be too surprising.

They are certainly laid like normal brickwork, but clearly need special corner and end blocks.

Jim

Thanks, Jim, it is reminiscent of Airey House construction.

Thanks, Jim, it is reminiscent of Airey House construction.

Having now looked that up, it seems pretty clear that it is an example of the Airey House construction system, unusually, not on a domestic dwelling. The gable end wall, which would never be found on a house, is intriguing as the Airey system is single-sided, yet a wall in this position, closing off the ends of the pitched roofs behind, would need to be double sided.

Jim