Suitable tender for a SECR L class 4-4-0

Blandford1969

The SEF tender has some subtle differences around the front end. I did use one behind my DJH L, but cheated and modelled 1768, which gained a C class tender after an accident (the spare tender left over from the C lass that got converted to an S class tank engine).

This was before the cheap plastic static C class came out, so I wonder if one of those (being plastic) would be easier to modify to resemble an L tender.  

• RMweb Premium

The SEF tender has some subtle differences around the front end. I did use one behind my DJH L, but cheated and modelled 1768, which gained a C class tender after an accident (the spare tender left over from the C lass that got converted to an S class tank engine).

This was before the cheap plastic static C class came out, so I wonder if one of those (being plastic) would be easier to modify to resemble an L tender.  

Thanks, what are the main differences between the C and the L tender, is it the tender front?

As far as I can remember, the panels at the front of the tender are higher on a L, and the plate at the front of the coal space has a curved top. 

The front side panels are flush with the main tank - which is an inch or two wider than the C/D/E tender ( the same width as the cab )  ........ the coal 'hopper' is a very different shape - but not if it's filled to the brim ............ I think the side raves are a little longer than those 'retro-fitted' to the earlier locos and straight-topped lateral dividers are fitted fore AND aft between these. I'm not sure whether the 'L' tenders were built with the rectangular spring dampers but all wainwright tenders had them long before nationalisation - an unfortunate omission from the Finecast kit. [ My Triang-Hornby L1 conversion will get finished one day ....... ]

• Like 1