Driving wheel bearings

• RMweb Premium

The ones you quote are too big for Tring frames. Triang axles were 9/64in, 4.8mm is near enough 3/16in.

Look again. 4.8mm is the diameter of the flange. The o/d of the body is 3.8mm, still a bit too big but closer. There are ones with thinner walls, made by Romford or Gibson maybe.

Slightly too big is good, the Triang chassis wear and the axles slop about so slightly oversize bushes take up the wear. especially on the centre driven axle. You may need to reamer the inner bore back to size after pressing them in.  I find the long bushes with thin flanges are best  as they support the axle better, the short thick flange ones seen to wear rapidly.    The old 1950s Jinty and Princess chassis with strip sides and cast spacers screwed together and the Nellie 0-4-0 with strip sides riveted together are best in my opinion, very bodgable. 

Not sure if Markits buishes are available as they seem to have had a fire, but plenty on eBay for about £6 for 24.

Don't know about a fire - spoke to Mark just before New year to order a few bits and pieces and he is very busy casting drivers and hoping to update his price lists sometime. He never mentioned anything about that but it is prudent to purchase when you see them - this can apply to many ranges, as I am sure we all know to our cost...

The bearings from ebay duly arrived. In the meantime I discovered that I already had two packs of Romford bearings. (Clearly I should have checked earlier!). The ebay ones are exactly the same so I am now well stocked.

Edited by Les Bird
  • Like 1