Transfer removal

Excuse this but I am a beginner.

I have an oldish Hornby King Henry VIII with "Great Western" on the tender. I would like to replace this with a late BR crest. What is the best-practice to remove the OEM transfer? Or is it a transfer?

From the sound of things you're going to remove something that stretches along most of the tender side to replace it with a logo in the centre which means that unless you are incredibly careful you may well end up repainting the whole tender side.

There are various methods that are used to remove transfers etc.

1; apply some micro sol to the decal and leave for a few minutes and see if it softens the decal/transfer sufficiently for it to be removed, then gently remove with a cocktail stick.

2; gently rub some t-cut over the transfer with a cotton bud for a while, if this does remove the transfer it should leave a semi gloss finish ready for the application of a new transfer.

3; gently (very gently) scrape the transfer off with the blade of a modelling knife.

HTH

Pete

• RMweb Gold

For #3 try a cocktail stick first ...

I'm in the middle of renumbering a Bachmann class 66 and the numbers come off with a bit of work using a cocktail stick, and its a lot lot harder to damage the underlying surface. You might need to gently use a knife to get an edge going.

Failing that I use the T-Cut approach (#2), a teeny weeny amount at a time.

hth,

Archived