Trams, coaches and other such whimsies

LNER J70:

1. CAD work http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-lner-j70-for-oo-gauge-budget-designed-model/&do=findComment&comment=3433820

2. First Prototype http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-lner-j70-for-oo-gauge-budget-designed-model/&do=findComment&comment=3437204

3. Release on Shapeways! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-lner-j70-for-oo-gauge-budget-designed-model/&do=findComment&comment=3440889

PECKETT W6:

1. Updating the CAD file http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-lner-j70-for-oo-gauge-budget-designed-model/&do=findComment&comment=3434328

COLEFORD MUSEUM CARRIAGE:

1. Creating the CAD file http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-lner-j70-for-oo-gauge-budget-designed-model/&do=findComment&comment=3436182

WISBECH AND UPWELL STYLE COACH:

1. Base model http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-lner-j70-for-oo-gauge-budget-designed-model/&do=findComment&comment=3440856

2. CAD Work https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-currently-working-on-g9-tinkerbell-nem-couplings-and-a-009-andew-barclay/&do=findComment&comment=3491296

WANTAGE TRAMWAY SHANNON/JANE:

1. CAD Work http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-wantage-tramway-shannonjane-cad-work/#entry3443557

2. Further CAD Work https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-wantage-tramway-shannonjane-cad-work/page-2&do=findComment&comment=3445324

NEM COUPLING POCKETS FOR OLDER STOCK:

1. CAD Work https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-wantage-tramway-shannonjane-cad-work/&do=findComment&comment=3445326

2. First Prototypes & Release https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-currently-working-on-g9-tinkerbell-nem-couplings-and-a-009-andew-barclay/&do=findComment&comment=3466595

009 ANDREW BARCLAY 0-4-0 SADDLE TANK:

1. CAD Work https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-currently-working-on-g9-tinkerbell-nem-couplings-and-a-009-andew-barclay/&do=findComment&comment=3466507

G9 TINKERBELL 0-4-2T:

1. CAD Work https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141326-currently-working-on-g9-tinkerbell-nem-couplings-and-a-009-andew-barclay/&do=findComment&comment=3466509

------------------

Cheap LNER J70 - CAD WORK

Given the Model Rail/Rapido J70 locomotives are well on the way, and that I have wanted a few for a while now, I have drawn up plans for a W&U inspired micro layout. Whilst I would love to be in the position to buy several, sadly I cannot do so at the current moment in time. I was linked to a J70 lookalike for £15 that fits on a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis, but it doesn't look that great and to be honest it doesn't have great scope for detailing. With this in mind, I set to work building a J70 model with a view to 3D print it.

zL3ydIt.png

I planned to make the model print in several parts, however I found it wasn't much of a price difference to do the body/skirts as one part and the roof as another. Luckily I can just sqeeze a cut down Hornby 0-4-0 chassis inside the body shell, allowing the model price to be around £40 for body and chassis.

PjJ3doR.png

It wasn't long before I had the bulk of the CAD work complete. A few details won't be right, and the cowcatcher was a compromise, but overall it looks like a J70 and will hopefully look okay in the background. I might detail one up to try and match the Rapido offering, but for the price I can't complain.

s1YUNmm.png

As you can see, I've attempted to show the smokebox in the model and have the motor protuding in the other end of the body. This is a small compromise for the loco, however I can live with it.

5Dluur9.png

This is the model as printed. I have noticed (since sending it to Shapeways) that the coupling hook was 2mm to the side, so I have now centralised it. I ordered the body on the 11th, and have been told today that it is on the way to the United Kingdom. I'm guessing they don't have many orders right now as it is quick compared to previous orders with them.

Edited by Vanguard 5374
  • Like 1

I should add that when I get the prototype, I'm buidling it to make sure that it all goes together correctly. When it does, it'll be available on Shapeways for people to purchase. Later in the year, I hope to have it on Thingiverse as a free download for those with 3D printers at home :)

• Like 1

Peckett W6 - Updating the CAD file

Given the J70 is currently on the way, I have been attacking my old Peckett W6 in an attempt to bring it somewhat closer to acceptable standards. Still not perfect, but closer to what I want. The render has shown some items incorrectly, which is a shame.

OybqcMz.png

Edited by Vanguard 5374

Coleford Railway Museum carriage - Creating the CAD file

With the J70 done and work going on with the Peckett, I decided to draw up something rather unique. There is a carriage (converted wagon?) at the Coleford Railway Museum, which would go lovely with my Peckett. I took basic measurements from a few pictures/videos online, and have drawn this so far:

Yf9sIuZ.png

The body was easy enough to draw up, and has been designed around a standard Hornby underframe. Not the most accurate choice, but a fun one to do.

KpqJutv.png

I have ordered this as a lesser quality print from 3D Hubs, to try and keep costs down. I've been looking into putting some items on i.materialise over Shapeways, as the costs for the former are far less if you purchase them.

Edited by Vanguard 5374

I don't think it would, due to the motor taking up the cab and the fact the boiler is part of the mesh itself.

23i87Bn.png

Is that implying that the W6 is designed to fit the Dapol/Hornby L&Y Pug chassis?

I like the look of your mini saloon. Which "standard Hornby underframe" is it designed round? Is it the 4-wheel coach? and if that is a door on the coach side, should it have a droplight in it? Have you thought of anything similar for a Fruit D or SR CCT chassis?

• Like 1

Is that implying that the W6 is designed to fit the Dapol/Hornby L&Y Pug chassis?

I like the look of your mini saloon. Which "standard Hornby underframe" is it designed round? Is it the 4-wheel coach? and if that is a door on the coach side, should it have a droplight in it? Have you thought of anything similar for a Fruit D or SR CCT chassis?

The W6 is designed for the Pug chassis, and as such I am certain it wouldn't fit the Peckett chassis.

Thank you, it's the basic 4 wheel wagon chassis as used from the 70's-90's to keep costs down. Haven't really explored much carriage wise yet, and this is just a test model to try learning more skills CAD wise.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/743918

Here is the prototype, on the main "running line"

• Like 1

Cheap LNER J70 - First prototype

Well, not long after ordering it the first prototype arrived. As you can see, most details came out well in Shapeway's White Strong Flexible, which is a bonus. Need to alter the chassis mounting points but I am very happy with how it has turned out.

3X404Bt.jpg

CtKsKlz.jpg

Will be detailing and painting this in the next few days, and will hopefully then be able to put it up for sale.

Cheap LNER J70 - First prototype

Well, not long after ordering it the first prototype arrived. As you can see, most details came out well in Shapeway's White Strong Flexible, which is a bonus. Need to alter the chassis mounting points but I am very happy with how it has turned out.

3X404Bt.jpg

CtKsKlz.jpg

Will be detailing and painting this in the next few days, and will hopefully then be able to put it up for sale.

Hi Vanguard,

Good work there with the J70, its funny that we are building such similar projects at the same time.

I forgot to ask, hence the edit, what shade of brown is used for the wooden body ?

post-34584-0-05675500-1547682601_thumb.jpg

Gibbo.

Second edit, I forgot to attach the photograph first time around !

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 2

I'm impressed by your Y6 build, and the use of the Pug chassis is a good choice.

For the body paint, I'm going for Rover Russet Brown. It's not an exact match, but good enough for me for the LNER and BR liveried locomotives at least.

3408764.jpg

Hi Vanguard,

I had thought of using BR bauxite as used for goods wagons or would the shade be a little more grey than bauxite is red so to say ? I had also thought that I should perhaps use a shade similar to LNER teak similar to their coaches.

As you no doubt know there are plenty of black and white photographs but as yet I haven't found a colour one by which I might approximate the shade.

Thanks for the reply,

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Russet Brown is a really versatile colour, I get mine in a spray can from halfords. Very useful for wood and wagons etc.

Exactly the same place I got mine today, got to make use of the trade discount too :danced:

Hi Vanguard,

I had thought of using BR bauxite as used for goods wagons or would the shade be a little more grey than bauxite is red so to say ? I had also thought that I should perhaps use a shade similar to LNER teak similar to their coaches.

As you no doubt know there are plenty of black and white photographs but as yet I haven't found a colour one by which I might approximate the shade.

Thanks for the reply,

Gibbo.

It's hard to work out exactly what to go for livery wise, so I'm just going with an approximation. Close enough for me, but until I find something closer it'll do for me.

Hi Vanguard,

Spotted your thread earlier today and I am curious if your W6 could be upscaled to 7mm scale ?  I have a plan for a coarse scale model !

Regards

Andi

I've just checked and yes it would print to 7mm scale. It's about £75 ish for the WSF print if you are interested? Should make for a decent 7mm scale loco  :thankyou:

• Like 1

That's interesting, It makes it an affordable project !  Chassis and running gear would not cost too much, so the finished loco, in 7mm scale, could possibly be built for under £150, depending on where the parts are sourced.

How much of the added detail is printed ? Things like handrails and handrail knobs, smokebox door handles, etc would not be needed as I would be looking to fit brass ones, possibly even smokebox door also. Rivet detail would be nice though.

• Like 1

That's interesting, It makes it an affordable project !  Chassis and running gear would not cost too much, so the finished loco, in 7mm scale, could possibly be built for under £150, depending on where the parts are sourced.

How much of the added detail is printed ? Things like handrails and handrail knobs, smokebox door handles, etc would not be needed as I would be looking to fit brass ones, possibly even smokebox door also. Rivet detail would be nice though.

I can remove and add more/less detail as needed, so have been able to do this to the mesh so far:

post-33721-0-03574400-1547763224_thumb.png

As you can see, it's more or less a blank canvas now :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1

I can remove and add more/less detail as needed, so have been able to do this to the mesh so far:

attachicon.gif7mm peckett less detail.png

As you can see, it's more or less a blank canvas now :biggrin_mini2:

Blimey ! You don't hang around ! 

Getting closer - I think maybe loose the buffers but mark the centre point for purposes of locating brass or whitemetal ones.  I am looking at building to coarse scale standards myself, so, not too much detail as I would like it to fit in with my pre-war vintage tinplate collection, but don't remove it all !

You also mentioned a couple of other 3d printing sites that were somewhat cheaper than Shapeways, would it be possible to buy it through one of those ?  Lets see how little we can make this loco for !

Wheels and axles will be about £40, Motor and gearbox + flywheel £45 -£50, smokebox door casting and dart £5,  frames, cylinders and coupling rods / valvegear may have to be scratchbuilt, unless you are planning to 3d print them, as I have not yet found a supplier for those, but, I will keep looking !  Another option for the running gear may well be a Faller 0-4-0 chassis - will investigate that also.

The other thing to note for a vintage/classic coarse scale loco would be couplings - these tend to be of the Hornby / Bassett Lowke style which would require a slot in the top of the buffer beam as the couplings are mounted by a pivot behind the beam so the detail for the draw hook would not be needed either.

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 1

Blimey ! You don't hang around ! 

Getting closer - I think maybe loose the buffers but mark the centre point for purposes of locating brass or whitemetal ones.  I am looking at building to coarse scale standards myself, so, not too much detail as I would like it to fit in with my pre-war vintage tinplate collection, but don't remove it all !

You also mentioned a couple of other 3d printing sites that were somewhat cheaper than Shapeways, would it be possible to buy it through one of those ?  Lets see how little we can make this loco for !

Wheels and axles will be about £40, Motor and gearbox + flywheel £45 -£50, smokebox door casting and dart £5,  frames, cylinders and coupling rods / valvegear may have to be scratchbuilt, unless you are planning to 3d print them, as I have not yet found a supplier for those, but, I will keep looking !  Another option for the running gear may well be a Faller 0-4-0 chassis - will investigate that also.

The other thing to note for a vintage/classic coarse scale loco would be couplings - these tend to be of the Hornby / Bassett Lowke style which would require a slot in the top of the buffer beam as the couplings are mounted by a pivot behind the beam so the detail for the draw hook would not be needed either.

Perk of having a bit of spare time, the other sites I am looking at are 3D Hubs and i.materialise, however with the former quality seems to be hit and miss, and for the latter it appears I have to print a model first, which is no bad thing for quality control, before I am able to sell it. Shapeways still seems to be the easiest/cheapest option right now.

• Like 1

Wisbech & Upwell Style Coach - Base Model

So now that I have a Wisbech and Upwell locomotive, I need a coach to match it. Whilst most people would favour a 4 wheel coach as their own Henrietta, I prefer the use of bogie coaches. There isn't much available ready to run from our side of the pond, some very attractive coaches have been made by Tyco/Model Power/Mantua and whilst not exactly accurate, do look rather fetching.

liBBERw.jpg

I have had this coach for a while now, so will be altering some of the details to suit it. I created a W&U style coach side a few years ago to glue onto each side, so will get two printed and see how it looks.

XgBb70M.jpg

• Like 1

Cheap LNER J70 - Release on Shapeways!

After a few revisions, the J70 is now up on Shapeways for sale.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YD2HN2NJD/oo-scale-lner-j70-ger-c53-tram-engine?optionId=83784845

Vq0dEdn.png

There was an issue with the "cow catchers", however this has been dealt with. I'm happy with how it is turning out so far.

My own J70 is currently sat waiting for the roof to dry, most of the body has now been painted. I've sourced a suitable bell which will be attached to the model when painted up.

• RMweb Premium

Wisbech & Upwell Style Coach - Base Model

So now that I have a Wisbech and Upwell locomotive, I need a coach to match it. Whilst most people would favour a 4 wheel coach as their own Henrietta, I prefer the use of bogie coaches. There isn't much available ready to run from our side of the pond, some very attractive coaches have been made by Tyco/Model Power/Mantua and whilst not exactly accurate, do look rather fetching.

I have had this coach for a while now, so will be altering some of the details to suit it. I created a W&U style coach side a few years ago to glue onto each side, so will get two printed and see how it looks.

XgBb70M.jpg

That sounds interesting, do you have W&U ends also available?  Even if I don't have a suitable Tyco coach, I'm quite sure W&U coach sides could be mated with a scratchbuilt chassis & roof.

Moxy

• Like 1

That sounds interesting, do you have W&U ends also available?  Even if I don't have a suitable Tyco coach, I'm quite sure W&U coach sides could be mated with a scratchbuilt chassis & roof.

Moxy

I plan to do ends at some point in the future, for now however I'll be happy with just the sides. Even as it is, it doesn't look too bad with the tram engine. Cannot wait to order the new parts from Shapeways.

Ittmyhq.jpg

In all honesty, I've got a die cutter for making rolling stock, and my aim is to eventually make a few W&U coach bodies using that, far cheaper than 3D printing and a better result due to that.

Wantage Tramway Shannon/Jane - CAD Work

Whilst I don't have much to show at the moment, I can share this. I've still got a lot of work to do on this model, although it is looking rather nice so far:

fJyMF8A.png

Creating some of the fittings is going to be a fun job to do. Shannon/Jane has been a loco I have wanted for a while now, so I am very happy to be working on this.

• RMweb Gold

This will be interesting to see  :imsohappy:  I thought about trying her in 3D but opted for brass etch. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57208-sandy-gn-lnwr-sandy-potton-tramway/page-29

The biggest problem will be motorising her (unless you've something cunning up your sleeve) as in brass there is very little room in the boiler to hide a motor and practically nothing in the well tank, I managed to fit a Mashima 1020 motor in the boiler by thinning the walls down to .35mm and a high level gearbox in the firebox....it was 'interesting' !!

As for the motion......get some medication ready... :derisive: