Bachmann TTA to TTB backdating - anyone done one?

The plot thickens.....having found a useful section in "Working Wagons - Vol.2" (D. Larkin). The Esso 45T GLW tanks were built in 1965 (seemingly only as Class A). Numbered 56000 to 56281, later classified as TTF (so AFI fitted). The problem is, the photo illustrating the type shows an ex works (in 1975) 56167 with a single centre ladder in plain grey with red solebar, no Esso markings, which makes me wonder if some had the single ladder conversion during overhauls?

The letters "AFI" are seen on the solebar above the Vac cylinder too.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1

The BRT tanks of the 57000 series (as seen in giz's link to the majority of Paul Bartlett's photos) were built earlier, in 1962, but with the two ladders. The 56000 ESSO series, built in 1965, only had one ladder.

BRT TTV

post-7112-0-91461300-1548152798_thumb.jpg

ESSO TTV

post-7112-0-80979700-1548152808_thumb.jpg

The size differences in 4mm between an ESSO TTV and a "standard" TTA are so small that I would feel they can be ignored. Therefore you can model some ESSO TTVs with one ladder, just not BRT ones, as long as you number them correctly!

Edited by Flood

Hello

Looking at Paul Bartletts website it would appear that all the 282 1964 built Esso wagons had single ladders which are the ones I modelled and that I was referring to in my post.

Cheers

George

The BRT tanks of the 57000 series (as seen in giz's link to the majority of Paul Bartlett's photos) were built earlier, in 1962, but with the two ladders. The 56000 ESSO series, built in 1965, only had one ladder.

BRT TTV

BRT TTV.jpg

ESSO TTV

ESSO TTV.jpg

The size differences in 4mm between an ESSO TTV and a "standard" TTA are so small that I would feel they can be ignored. Therefore you can model some ESSO TTVs with one ladder, just not BRT ones, as long as you number them correctly!

Thanks for your explanation and for baring with me, think I'm starting to get my head around the Esso tanks slowly!

Beware, those ESSO wagons with single ladders are TSV not TTV (only 36 tonnes GLW). They have different dimensions to the usual TTV/TTA wagons, the wheelbase is the same but the overall length and barrel length and width are smaller:

TSV

attachicon.gifTSV.jpg

TTA

attachicon.gifDiagram TT088P.jpg

really? BRT tanks varied in many details including having paired and end on ladders https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brttanks

The Esso owned tanks came in three variants as they went to three manufacturers for the TTVs. Later they were AB and have only recently gone out of business.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essopowellduffryna single end central ladder

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essopickeringa single end central ladder

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essochasrobertsa  Single end offset ladder

BR pre TOPS diagrams show few details and many batches of wagons appear to have been overlooked.

These are the ESSO TSV as that diagram https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essomonobloctank

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

There was some slight confusion as I didn't specify that I was referring to the monobloc wagons linked in giz's reply of post 15.

Paul has again shown the continued value of his time in taking his photos in the first place, for which I will always be very grateful.

There was some slight confusion as I didn't specify that I was referring to the monobloc wagons linked in giz's reply of post 15.

Paul has again shown the continued value of his time in taking his photos in the first place, for which I will always be very grateful.

Sorry to have caused some confusion, I meant to link to Paul's photos of the Esso TTVs but inadvertantly linked to the TSVs that preceded them.

• 4 months later...

By chance I alighted on this thread, and took another look at Paul Bartlett's pictures.

There are several of the series covered by Bachmann's 57575 model, and those with some clarity on the end view seem to show two pipes from the headstock. Is it possible therefore that the model covers the air-braked, vac piped TTB variant noted by Signaller 69 above?

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typing error

6 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

By chance I alighted on this thread, and took another look at Paul Bartlett's pictures.

There are several of the series covered by Bachmann's 57575 model, and those with some clarity on the end view seem to show two pipes from the headstock. Is it possible therefore that the model covers the air-braked, vac piped TTB variant noted by Signaller 69 above?

John.

THe wagons with two pipes would have been those built as air-braked ones.  Air-braked wagons in the 1960s used a twin-pipe system to allow faster brake release; the second pipe was abandoned when it was realised that the ever-increasing numbers of ferry wagons only had a single pipe, and the presence of a single such wagon meant the whole train was single-piped.

Vac piped wagons had a single, corrugated, large diameter pipe to the left of the drawhook for the vacuum, and one or two smaller-diameter pipes for the air-brake to the left.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...

Ahoy Tank fans,

I feel fortunate to have stumbled upon this topic as I currently have the very things on my workbench. Attached is a photo of progress so far, showing my representation of the Norbrit Pickering built diagram TT043A owned by Algeco and hired to Esso. Some examples of the prototypes can be found here:

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/algecoa/e28a95594

Recently released underframe kits from the excellent Stenson Models have made conversions to this type much easier, the walkways in particular kick all previous garbage out of the playing field.

I have still to source the "Algeco" branding and labels stating, "In service with Esso Petroleum Co Ltd".

If I am able to find this topic again I will post up photos as the project progresses.

Regards,

Rodders

TT043A 1 shrunk 30%.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Ahoy Tank fans,

I feel fortunate to have stumbled upon this topic as I currently have the very things on my workbench. Attached is a photo of progress so far, showing my representation of the Norbrit Pickering built diagram TT043A owned by Algeco and hired to Esso. Some examples of the prototypes can be found here:

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/algecoa/e28a95594

Recently released underframe kits from the excellent Stenson Models have made conversions to this type much easier, the walkways in particular kick all previous garbage out of the playing field.

I have still to source the "Algeco" branding and labels stating, "In service with Esso Petroleum Co Ltd".

If I am able to find this topic again I will post up photos as the project progresses.

Regards,

Rodders

TT043A 1 shrunk 30%.jpg

Lovely work Rodders, I've not come across Stenson Models so will have to look them up. Please feel free to add more photos of progress!

Martyn.

Ahoy Wishaw-built tank fans,

A couple of hours careful work with the hold and fold and the soldering iron, followed by marking out using the downloaded and printed template has produced a pair of walkways and end platforms. The locating tabs on the end platform will need trimmed to clear the replacement buffers and coupling hook.

Still a bit of work to do, but it's starting to come together. I hope this will encourage you to get on with some modelling.

Regards,

Rodders

TT043A 6 shrunk 30%.jpg

TT043A 4 shrunk 30%.jpg

TT043A 2 shrunk 30%.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ahoy freight fans,

Hopefully attached is a photo showing one model in primer and the other yet to be washed before priming. I have still to source the Algeco logo. The traffic stars and labels such as the commuted charge and the "No naked lights etc" I have on an old Modelmaster sheet and I'm sure I can dodge up the numbers.

These models and some others like them will be on display on the Scottish Modellers stand at Ayr Model Railway Groups annual exhibition this coming weekend, 21st and 22nd Septmenber 2019.

If you are going to the show, please stop by and enjoy some wagon-based jibber jabbering.

Regards,

Rodders

TT043A 9 shrunk 30%.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Ahoy freight fans,

Hopefully attached is a photo showing one model in primer and the other yet to be washed before priming. I have still to source the Algeco logo. The traffic stars and labels such as the commuted charge and the "No naked lights etc" I have on an old Modelmaster sheet and I'm sure I can dodge up the numbers.

These models and some others like them will be on display on the Scottish Modellers stand at Ayr Model Railway Groups annual exhibition this coming weekend, 21st and 22nd Septmenber 2019.

If you are going to the show, please stop by and enjoy some wagon-based jibber jabbering.

Regards,

Rodders

TT043A 9 shrunk 30%.jpg

Hi Rodders,

I'll see you at Ayr anyway...

That printer I gave you will print onto decal film and give a good result..

So - if you have a full side on view you could make your own Algeco decal as it is yellow on black (I think?).

I've just started on these in N though!

Not much progress though except for gathering info.

Thanks

Phil H

• Like 1

Ahoy tank fans,

Thanks for getting in touch Phil, I'm off tomorrow so the plan is to get this pair top-coated and ready for decals. Hopefully by the weekend they'll be ready for a decal-applying modeling demo along with some Parkside wagons I've been working on. See you at Ayr.

Cheers,

Rodders

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy rented-tank fans,

Just some progress on the vacuum fitted tank project. I think that under TOPS these would be TTF because of the AFI brake, but I digress...

Thank you Graham RFD for e-mailing the Algeco and larger size Esso logos. I'm not completely happy with the print quality, but that's down to my printer. The photographs on Paul Bartlett's excellent website show a degree of fading and scratching anyway, so I shall attempt to hide the worst of it under the weathering.

These tanks are booked into the consist of a trip freight via Bere Banks at the Barrow-in-Furness Model Railway Club's 57th annual exhibition next weekend, so I'd better stop jibber-jabbering and get on with some modelling! :D

Regards,

Rodders

TT043A 11 shrunk 30%.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

17 hours ago, Rodders said:

Ahoy rented-tank fans,

Just some progress on the vacuum fitted tank project. I think that under TOPS these would be TTF because of the AFI brake, but I digress...

Thank you Graham RFD for e-mailing the Algeco and larger size Esso logos. I'm not completely happy with the print quality, but that's down to my printer. The photographs on Paul Bartlett's excellent website show a degree of fading and scratching anyway, so I shall attempt to hide the worst of it under the weathering.

These tanks are booked into the consist of a trip freight via Bere Banks at the Barrow-in-Furness Model Railway Club's 57th annual exhibition next weekend, so I'd better stop jibber-jabbering and get on with some modelling! :D

Regards,

Rodders

TT043A 11 shrunk 30%.jpg

Very nice work Rodders. Yes the AFI fitted wagons should be TTF I'd have thought (Grain wagons so fitted were classed PAF at any rate).

Ahoy 1960s-built monoblock railtank fans,

Attached here for your perusal are pictures of the almost finished vacuum brake fitted tank wagons. I think I may have gone a bit too far on the weathering, but the photos of the prototypes on Paul Bartlett's excellent website do show considerable filthiness.

My very grateful thanks go to Grahamrfd who provided a pdf of the Algeco and Esso logos, to Paul Bartlett for his excellent website and to Stenson Models for the awesome etched brass details, without all of whom this project would have been rather more difficult. 

I hope this project will inspire you to get on with some modelling.  :D

Regards,

Rodders

TT043A 12 shrunk 30%.jpg

TT043A 13 shrunk 30%.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

13 hours ago, Rodders said:

Ahoy 1960s-built monoblock railtank fans,

Attached here for your perusal are pictures of the almost finished vacuum brake fitted tank wagons. I think I may have gone a bit too far on the weathering, but the photos of the prototypes on Paul Bartlett's excellent website do show considerable filthiness.

My very grateful thanks go to Grahamrfd who provided a pdf of the Algeco and Esso logos, to Paul Bartlett for his excellent website and to Stenson Models for the awesome etched brass details, without all of whom this project would have been rather more difficult. 

I hope this project will inspire you to get on with some modelling.  :D

Regards,

Rodders

TT043A 12 shrunk 30%.jpg

TT043A 13 shrunk 30%.jpg

I think the weathering looks spot on, especially like the way parts have been "cleaned" so the lettering can be seen, a realistic touch not often seen.

• 8 months later...
  • Signaller69 changed the title to Bachmann TTA to TTB backdating - anyone done one?