N gauge Cornish Layout

• RMweb Gold

I've decided to have a go at building an N gauge layout based around current practice in Cornwall as at the moment space for a decent OO scale layout is at a premium and I'm drawn to some of the more recent N gauge releases from Dapol/Bachmann.

I've got some precut ply I could use. I was thinking of a 5ft x 3ft roundy-roundy with a station, sidings at the front and a branch running of in the style of Liskeard, Lostwithiel or Par. I'd have hidden sidings at the back. The layout could be smaller as well depending on the plan but I do like to watch trains go by.

I also imagine the branchline could run off scene into the hidden siddings as well so as to run Freightliner style Moorswater cement trains.

Track will be Peco Code 80 and could use set track points in the siding. Operation can be from the back and front. I will be using DCC but points will be controlled either manually or via a separate power source. I will probably use insulfrog to make wiring easier.

Any ideas or suggestions please seeing this would be my first N scale layout.

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark

Unless you've already acquired Code 80, I'd suggest using Peco Code 55 track and electrofrog points, rather than insulfrog.

The Code 55 looks better, and in N electrofrog tends to give better running.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Ben,

Thanks for the info.

I haven't purchased anything yet so can still go for Code 55 and electrofrogs.

What put me off electrofrogs in Code 75 in the past was the wiring up for DCC point control. Code 100 was easier to wire up and get going.

That's why I thought abought Code 80 and insulfrogs to make things easier and not struggle with wiring again-electrics not being my strong point!

I realise Code 55 will look more to scale and the electrofrogs will perform better.

How easy are Peco Code 55 points to wire up for DCC operation using a Peco PL10?

Thanks.

Mark

Just remember that a 5x3 is almost the size of a double bed and needs access/operating space all around it, so actually needs about 9x7ft of free floorspace. You'd be better off using that space and putting your operating space on the inside. You'd get a much longer run of main line and gentler curves too.

For example this arrangement on 4 modules gives you a larger layout but actually uses less floor space than a solid 5x3 with access space around the outside. If you build a rack or boxes for the modules so they can be stacked when not in use, the disassembled layout only takes up 5x1 of floor space for the 90% of the week you're not operating.

modular.th.png

Making it modular means you're not taking up all the floor space when you're not actually operating. The benchwork isn't difficult - see here and here.

The branch line could also run a Farish 150 or Dapol 153. I think Electra does First Great Western vinyls for both.

I agree about using electrofrogs. They aren't difficult to use with DCC. Have a look at this page on Wiring for DCC and scroll down to code 55.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium
Just remember that a 5x3 is almost the size of a double bed and needs access/operating space all around it, so actually needs about 9x7ft of free floorspace.

It's also not quite so generous as you might think. Here's a basic double track loop in 5' x 3', using Setrack radius 3 and "radius 4" (flexitrack laid at Setrack spacing for clearance) with Code 55 small points. The hidden sidings take up to 6 bogies, but the front straight is only about 23".

You can gain a bit by using radius 2 and 3 on the curves - perhaps another bogie vehicle in the fiddle yard, but not much on the front straight. You'll need to keep the layout fairly simple to avoid crowding it.

post-6813-127226528917_thumb.png

I would definitely echo Ben's comments.

Code 55 looks a lot better and closer to scale than code 80 even though it is still quite chunky - I would say that the difference is more noticeable than between code 100 and 75 in OO. The design by PECO lets you easily connect it to code 80 or set track as the actual rail is the same height, it just has an extra "foot" at the height for code55, the rest is buried in the sleeper. For fiddleyards or other hidden areas you can save time and effort by using set-track curves rather than laying flex-track (although I'd still use electrofrog points rather than settrack in fiddleyards).

Likewise I'd say there is no contest regarding electrofrog versus insulfrog. The small extra cost, and slight extra effort to wire electrical switches is almost always outweighed by the superior running (and not getting fed up and binning\abandoning the whole project!). While I'm sure someone will say that their 0-6-0s or 0-4-0s run fine over N insulfrog points, you're greatly decreasing your chances of getting a good feed to the loco at all times (so say goodbye to DCC sound etc)

• RMweb Gold

Evening gents,

Just got in from work.

Thanks for all your replies. Your advice has been of great help especially as this is my first N gauge layout and it's the voice of experience that counts in these matters.

Sounds like it's going to be Code 55 and Electrofrogs then!wink.gif Guess I'll have to bite bullet once more and see what mischief I can make with the wiring!

It's funny and probably a misconception that 5ft x 3ft equates to 10ft x 6ft in OO. The size of the board was chosen so as to utilise existing materials and keep costs down as well as ease of construction. Also, it would fit in the car easily as well. I agree that opening up the operating area would be benificial and free up more space as well and perhaps I need to look at this.

Flying Pig, the diagram you have shown for the layout is as I envisaged things. Although I'd like a run around on the inside of the line and the possibility of a branch feeding off towards the fiddle yard the odd siding and to two sets of points at the front of the layout. Not sure if this is possible? I want to go for a open and realistic approach allowing space to demonstrate the railway in the countryside and not cram in as much track as is possible.

And yes, Nat37670 thats one of the reasons I've been tempted to try my hand at an N gauge Cornish layout!wink.gif

Running wise as you say-150/153 for the branch and a Class 66 with say 10 CDA's. Other trains could be a '4 Car' XC Voyager and a mix of Cargowagons, Silver Bullets and some TTA's.

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Branch inside the loop (again using radius 3); it could be arranged outside the loop instead, but you'd have to reduce the length of the main line a bit. Fitting a loop on the scenic side might be tricky. I've attached the XTrkCad file so you can have a play yourself!

post-6813-127231630287_thumb.png

Nloop3.xtc

• RMweb Gold
The design by PECO lets you easily connect it to code 80 or set track as the actual rail is the same height, it just has an extra "foot" at the height for code55, the rest is buried in the sleeper.
Err no. That's what Peco might have you believe but it is not quite so simple. For a start there is actually a slight difference in rail height so when joined there is a small step. Then you also have the issue of the sleepers being different thickness's so you have to make sure you allow for that when track laying. Ok, they're not insurmountable problems but it's definitely not just plug and play. :)

• RMweb Gold

Evening again,

Thanks Flying Pig for that. Kind of there. Just need that loop in and the sidings as well and the branch to run in to a bay. Hmmm. Perhaps asking for the impossible.

Thanks for claryfing that 57xx. Nice layout as well. The Mortonhampstead Branch was a beautiful line. I used to live in North Bovey and drive by Thompson's yard each day on my way to work in Newton. As you're probably aware there's still alot of buildings left except the station building and canopy.

The line was very picturesque around Lustliegh and down to Bovey. Walking on the old track from Bovey Station through Parke gave a good impression of the line and it's infastructure.

Be good to see some more fots of your progress.

Cheers.

Mark

Archived