Gorleston-on-Sea. BR 1950's thru 1960's

colin@gorleston

Many thanks for your praise Dave......I must admit to being sorry for scrapping Gorleston, much fun was had in the building of it, but I'm a lover of watching trains go round and I simply didn't have enough space for the fiddle yards at either end, let alone completing a full circle.

However, all the research material has been saved just in case I'm ever fortunate enough to have a room big enough to meet all my requirements, in which case Gorleston will emerge from the ashes bigger and better.

It was a great learning experience all the same.

Currently I am building a representation of Lingwood station on the Yarmouth Vauxhall - Norwich line.

No layout topic has been started yet.....soon.

As to my schooling, junior school was at Wroughton, right beside the Southtown - Lowestoft line and then senior was at Oriel Grammer school so I was always seeing trains either at school or on my way to and from, plus on market days my mother would take us kids to town on the train to get the weekly shopping

As for how I ended up in Florida, well that is a long long story that would probably bore most people to tears.

Regards

Colin

Hey Colin

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently building a 2-level layout. The 2nd level is still in planning stages and Yarmouth Southtown is under consideration. I 'll see.

For sure I'll watch out for progress on your next project. 

BTW I was Herman and then Gorleston Grammar.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
She wondered when you left Gorleston Grammar?

Oh my god! I just did the math, it was 38 years ago!!!!!!!

I left in 1975, worked for a year in a body shop on Beccles Rd and then joined the Army where I served for 13 years. Got demobbed in '88 worked for a couple of years in civvy street before I emigrated .

Regards

Colin

• 3 months later...

I came across this forum and the topic while searching for some old railway info - and it was great to see what you did with Gorleston. A friend of mine lives in a house on the West side overlooking the wide grassy area where your model is (was). Still no building locally - all trees. bungalows on the west, and old 2 storey semi-detached houses on the East - just as it was when your version was real! Just for a bit of local info - in 2015, Yarmouth and Lowestoft to Norwich will be signal box-less, controlled from Romford, so a bit of a shame, history wise. Thanks for sharing those pictures, even though I got to them rather late! 

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'd almost forgotten about Gorleston the layout..........it seems so long ago.

I am determined to do it again one day, bigger and better.

It was huge fun building a station that I was very familiar with, I only really came unstuck because of lack of space, I have to have the ability to run trains in circles, it's just so therapeutic.

Keep your eyes open you never know when mk II will appear.

Thanks for the positive comments, and you're right, it will be a huge shame when all the boxes go.

Regards

Colin

• 1 year later...

Hello Colin,

I've only just discovered this thread.  Sorry to hear that it had to go as it was such an amazing looking layout.  Having recently moved to a new build property I can identify with lack of space.  I've been trawling the forums looking for some inspiration for an N gauge layout as I have got an area roughly 10' by 2'-6" that I can use.  One thing is for sure, I will have to be ruthless and cull the rolling stock collection down a bit!

John

• 3 years later...

Archived