Gorleston-on-Sea. BR 1950's thru 1960's

colin@gorleston

It's been some time since I last posted any progress on my layout and figured it was time for an up-date.

I was really struggling trying to find a way to hide the corners of the back-scene and have tried many different materials to get one that would curve nicely around the end of the lay-out. ( note the novice mistake of not tackling that before the scenery was built up...)

anyway, nothing I could source seemed to do the job, so it was back to square corners. I really anguished over this decision and spent many hours worrying if I had made a huge mistake.

To cut a long story short, after much experimentation I think I have acheived my goal. However, that is for you all to decide.

To my eyes it seems to work, what do the rest of you think?

Regards

Colin

post-6258-127524040108_thumb.jpg

post-6258-127524043554_thumb.jpg

post-6258-127524046413_thumb.jpg

post-6258-127524050079_thumb.jpg

approximately 500 hits on this thread since the new posting and not a single reply......is my modelling that far below the level of yours?

Maybe I should just forget it.

It must be great to be perfect..............................

a very disappointed Colin @ gorleston

I wouldn't be that disapointed. There was a time when I was making weekly updates on my Sturminster layout and workbench projects and not recieving any feedback/comments. It had me wondering as to who I was doing this forum for, but in the end its for me. I find if you finish your post with a question or a request for info you will get a response. In your case you actually did, but so far no replies, until now. In your 2nd + 3rd photo the corner is not all that distinguishable, probably because you can’t actually see the top the of back scene. Whereas in the 4th photo, you can see the top, so it stands out more. From this forum I learned to avoid corners, hence my backscene is curved, but it is now in need of a coat of paint and some work.I'm sure everyone on here appreciates everyone's work, regardless of how well talented the modeller is. Even though I model in N, and steam(LMS) in particular (one of the reasons which drew me to bookmark your thread), I do look at the other scales/gauges and era's/periods, to get ideas and learn from other modellers experiences. Most times I won't leave any comments, unless I have a really pressing question that can't be answered from the thread itself.

Nobody is perfect on here, so don't get disheartened , and don't give-up on the updates, I for one do have your thread bookmarked to keep abreast of your updates.

Just found this thread again! I think the buildings do a fine job of hiding the corner. Are those cardboard kits or plastic kitbashes?

And moreover, the layout is looking fine!

Thanks for the feedback....all the buildings against the back scene are Metcalfe cardboard kits, to give a bit more feeling of depth I sourced some images of other kits and printed them out in various scales and then made a collage, layering them from back to front.

The buildings in the layout are all plastic kits that have been bashed to some extent or other.

Hopefully some day soon I'll be able to borrow a decent camera and get some far better shots of my work, I really don't think a point and shoot camera does it any justice at all.

felling better about it all colin@gorleston

I wouldn't be that disapointed. There was a time when I was making weekly updates on my Sturminster layout and workbench projects and not recieving any feedback/comments. It had me wondering as to who I was doing this forum for, but in the end its for me. I find if you finish your post with a question or a request for info you will get a response. In your case you actually did, but so far no replies, until now. In your 2nd + 3rd photo the corner is not all that distinguishable, probably because you can’t actually see the top the of back scene. Whereas in the 4th photo, you can see the top, so it stands out more. From this forum I learned to avoid corners, hence my backscene is curved, but it is now in need of a coat of paint and some work.I'm sure everyone on here appreciates everyone's work, regardless of how well talented the modeller is. Even though I model in N, and steam(LMS) in particular (one of the reasons which drew me to bookmark your thread), I do look at the other scales/gauges and era's/periods, to get ideas and learn from other modellers experiences. Most times I won't leave any comments, unless I have a really pressing question that can't be answered from the thread itself.

Nobody is perfect on here, so don't get disheartened , and don't give-up on the updates, I for one do have your thread bookmarked to keep abreast of your updates.

Like yourself I was seriously wondering why I was continuing with this forum with the lack of replies, they do seem to come in fits and starts.

For myself, I will only leave comments if a layout blows me away, but I shy away from offering advice on most practical modelling skills with the exception of DCC as I feel that there are far more capable modellers than myself in that area of expertise ( kitbashing, ground forming, track laying etc.)

Regarding those horrible square corners, that was a total rookie mistake, never to be repeated again I can assure you.

Now you can understand the sub heading "my first serious attempt" alluding to the fact that I really don't have that much model railroading experience, it's a very steep learning curve and one of the main reasons I'm a member of RM web. There are just so many talented people here it's mind boggling.

Thanks for restoring my faith

Colin@gorleston

Regarding those horrible square corners, that was a total rookie mistake, never to be repeated again I can assure you.

Just a thought regarding that corner. Given your circa.1960 period, why not go in for a bit of redevelopment and fill the corner with the framework of an office tower going up? That should help divert the eye and still be see-through, showing the existing back scene buildings.

Hey Colin!

I've only just noticed this thread too and amazed that you're doing yourself down. Yet I can understand if you're not

happy with your own efforts… I am my own harshest critic and have yet to be totally happy with anything I've created

so far, as it's all a first time experience.

You have a lovely little layout there which I've noticed has also been praised by 2mm Finescale queen, Missy, no less…

if she's given it the thumbs up, it must be good! Apart from the backscene 'corner', which you ackowledge, the only

criticism (constructive) from me is that your photography doesn't do it justice. Maybe if you tried without the harsh flash,

with more natural daylight if possible and tried to get a larger depth of field so that more is in focus.

I know how you feel, getting disheartened when there appears to be little response to all your efforts but you ought

not to let it get you down as it's no reflection on your layout. I reckon there are many reasons for that to be the case

and I'm sure one of them is timing. Even though you may get a low commments/views ratio there may be many more

folk (like me) who would comment if only they saw the thread whilst they were casually browsing!

Keep it going, it's looking great!

Ryan

Like yourself I was seriously wondering why I was continuing with this forum with the lack of replies, they do seem to come in fits and starts.

For myself, I will only leave comments if a layout blows me away, but I shy away from offering advice on most practical modelling skills with the exception of DCC as I feel that there are far more capable modellers than myself in that area of expertise ( kitbashing, ground forming, track laying etc.)

Now you can understand the sub heading "my first serious attempt" alluding to the fact that I really don't have that much model railroading experience, it's a very steep learning curve and one of the main reasons I'm a member of RM web. There are just so many talented people here it's mind boggling.

Thanks for restoring my faith

Colin@gorleston

Hello Colin smile.gif

I can totally relate to what you have been going through recently and believe it or not the same thing happens to me too. When the replies or comments dry up on my thread I start to worry that people have got bored or my modeling isnt any good, I guess its one of the downsides to posting on a site like this. The only thing I can say really is a site like this will go through busy and quiet spells so try not to let it get to you. Treat it like a kind of diary so regardless of the number of replies you get you can look back at it in the future and see how the layout has developed and you will have a record of everything you did.

As I have said before I really like the way the layout is comming together, dont be afraid to take something apart if you are not happy with it, usually its only time it will effect, the material costs arent usually anything to worry about. If you stick with it the chances are it will haunt you in the future. If you arent sure how to do something then dont be afraid to ask someone, the chances are someone has alread 'been there and done that'. I always say to myself I will never go 'stuff it, that will do' and keep on at something until I am happy with it. Build it for your pleasure, not anyone elses, and build it at the speed you want.

I hope this helps and I am watching you tongue.gif

Missy smile.gif

Just a thought regarding that corner. Given your circa.1960 period, why not go in for a bit of redevelopment and fill the corner with the framework of an office tower going up? That should help divert the eye and still be see-through, showing the existing back scene buildings.

That is an absolutely fantastic idea for a square corner, my only problem lies that to this day I don't think there is a building in Gorleston over three stories high even remotely close to where the station used to be. I'll have to ponder on that for a while. This layout was built to an almost exact copy of the original station ( minor compression of the platform lengths to fit my 8ft board) and even to this day still has a very small town feel about it and so putting something multi-storie might just make it lose that image.

I really do appreciate the suggestion though.

Regards

Colin@Gorleston

Hey Colin!

I've only just noticed this thread too and amazed that you're doing yourself down. Yet I can understand if you're not

happy with your own efforts… I am my own harshest critic and have yet to be totally happy with anything I've created

so far, as it's all a first time experience.

You have a lovely little layout there which I've noticed has also been praised by 2mm Finescale queen, Missy, no less…

if she's given it the thumbs up, it must be good! Apart from the backscene 'corner', which you ackowledge, the only

criticism (constructive) from me is that your photography doesn't do it justice. Maybe if you tried without the harsh flash,

with more natural daylight if possible and tried to get a larger depth of field so that more is in focus.

I know how you feel, getting disheartened when there appears to be little response to all your efforts but you ought

not to let it get you down as it's no reflection on your layout. I reckon there are many reasons for that to be the case

and I'm sure one of them is timing. Even though you may get a low commments/views ratio there may be many more

folk (like me) who would comment if only they saw the thread whilst they were casually browsing!

Keep it going, it's looking great!

Ryan

Many thanks for your kind words, they are really appreciated. I have to agree with you in that all model builders are their own harshest critics, why is that?

Taking photos in more natural light is a huge issue for me as I live in South-west Florida and I'm sure that with close to 100 percent humidity for most of the year that would create havoc if I took the layout outside to photograph it.

Over the last couple of days I've kinda taken a step back and just looked at my work, and to be honest I think that I've overcome that problem at the northern end of the layout.( town end)

I reduced the height of the back scene and now there is only about 3 inches of square corner visible, but I find my eyes are drawn into the layout away from that problem area.

As to missy noticing my attempts, I can only say that I am humbled that such an accomplished modeller would deign to comment on it.

I truly am in awe at what she has accomplished with Highclere........if only my skills were near as good!

Regards

Colin@gorleston

Hello Colin smile.gif

I can totally relate to what you have been going through recently and believe it or not the same thing happens to me too. When the replies or comments dry up on my thread I start to worry that people have got bored or my modeling isnt any good, I guess its one of the downsides to posting on a site like this. The only thing I can say really is a site like this will go through busy and quiet spells so try not to let it get to you. Treat it like a kind of diary so regardless of the number of replies you get you can look back at it in the future and see how the layout has developed and you will have a record of everything you did.

As I have said before I really like the way the layout is comming together, dont be afraid to take something apart if you are not happy with it, usually its only time it will effect, the material costs arent usually anything to worry about. If you stick with it the chances are it will haunt you in the future. If you arent sure how to do something then dont be afraid to ask someone, the chances are someone has alread 'been there and done that'. I always say to myself I will never go 'stuff it, that will do' and keep on at something until I am happy with it. Build it for your pleasure, not anyone elses, and build it at the speed you want.

I hope this helps and I am watching you tongue.gif

Missy smile.gif

Geez Missy,you really are too kind but, you sure know how to put the pressure on somebody! Quote " I'm watching you"

I have to be honest and admit that I am a huge fan of yours' and always look for your latest updates.

As to replies drying up on your thread, did it ever occur to you that people could possibly be intimidated by your obvious skills and therfore refrain from offering too much criticism?

So anyway, while I have your attention Missy, a question

How do you do your roads?

I'm quite pleased with the cobblestones in the town, but I have a rather large length of road going through the rural area to the south that really needs something doing to it. Any suggestions?

TIA

Colin@gorleston

As to replies drying up on your thread, did it ever occur to you that people could possibly be intimidated by your obvious skills and therfore refrain from offering too much criticism?

So anyway, while I have your attention Missy, a question

How do you do your roads?

I'm quite pleased with the cobblestones in the town, but I have a rather large length of road going through the rural area to the south that really needs something doing to it. Any suggestions?

TIA

Colin@gorleston

Hello Colin smile.gif

I hope people arent intimidated by my work, thats the last thing I want to happen. I post stuff on here for people to get inspired and have a go themselves, the more questions people ask the better as far as I am concerned. I would love someone to criticise my stuff (as long as its constructive) because like you, I am learning and I have learnt alot from people here.

Anyway, roads. The way I do my roads is to use pollyfilla. I mix up the pollyfilla as instructed on the packet but I also add a tiny amount of black paint so it changes the colour of the pollyfilla to a light grey then simply spread the mix onto the surface. I use a tiny bit of black poster paint from that cheap book shop that sells art bits as well but I guess a acrylic paint would do the job just as well. One the mix has dried I then sand it smooth (just like you would on a wall) then add a small amount of weathering powders (mainly black) if required.

I hope that helps. If you are unsure then try a bit on a scrap bit of wood or something first.

Missy smile.gif

Stay tuned folks, I might have found a setting on this crappy point and shoot to get some half decent shots....

a couple of quick snaps with no editing showing a little more progress...........scrub bushes and etched brass railings positioned before affixing then I just have to finish the support frame for the wriggly tin covering the path down to the station. As soon as I get the layout cleaned up a bit I'll try getting shots from different angles, you must all be getting bored with pics of this one tiny part.

regards

colin

post-6258-127560055592_thumb.jpg

post-6258-127560057565_thumb.jpg

Taking a break from the scenic work I decided that I was going to do some work on a heavy lift crane.Painting is almost finished then all I will have left are decals and weathering.

Here's a couple of shots showing a work train heading to Lowestoft for the start of track lifting. The line was singled shortly before closure.

post-6258-127578367093_thumb.jpg

post-6258-127578368894_thumb.jpg

The mention of polyfilla sparked an idea for those corners - if you could get a 'bead' of the stuff to round out the corner, paint over as the rest of the backscene, then you'd lose the hard transition through 90 degrees, which is the reason for it showing up - the abrupt change of lighting. Maybe not polyfilla, but bathroom sealant or something similar, just enough to run your finger down to get a curve.

Just an idea - I've not tried it.

Like the backscene cloudy sky by the way.

Just getting back into rly modelling. Delighted with the layout.Signal box is excellent. Goods shed likewise and station I think. Road may be too wide? How about a blue/cream bus from Oxford collection? Green DMUs were quite common in 1960s.

A follow on article (mainly using photos) to my prototype notes in Railway Modeller may be good?

Camping coaches at Hopton, Corton and Lowestoft N were cream and green -Pullmans in later years.

LMS stock started and terminated at the station from Derby or Northampton. Also in some years a train to York

Birds Eye stock were seen passing through from South Town (A directions sign sold for £2k+ recently)

I would love to see a spotter's notes on locos on line -someone must have some?

Just getting back into rly modelling. Delighted with the layout.Signal box is excellent. Goods shed likewise and station I think. Road may be too wide? How about a blue/cream bus from Oxford collection? Green DMUs were quite common in 1960s.

A follow on article (mainly using photos) to my prototype notes in Railway Modeller may be good?

Camping coaches at Hopton, Corton and Lowestoft N were cream and green -Pullmans in later years.

LMS stock started and terminated at the station from Derby or Northampton. Also in some years a train to York

Birds Eye stock were seen passing through from South Town (A directions sign sold for £2k+ recently)

I would love to see a spotter's notes on locos on line -someone must have some?

Hi Chris!Many thanks for your kind comments, great to see you around again, it's been a while..........I hope you haven't been ill.

I do have the farish 108 in green, but I'm waiting with baited breath for the release of the new 101.

All the roads are a scale 23 feet at 2mm/ft so only a couple of mm over possibly. Maybe that pull-out into the booking office area confuses things ( I know the town part of this layout is a stretch of imagination, but at least the station itself is fairly accurate)

The red/white double decker will be getting a respray eventually into an Eastern Counties bus, but that is really low on the to-do list.

For the benefit of everybody else that views this thread, I want you all to know that the layout would never have gotten this far without countless hours of work by my friend Chris who very kindly took on the brunt of the research in the UK for me. I truly am indebted to him!

I don't know if it has been published yet but he has written and submitted an article to Railway Modeller about Gorleston Station, keep your eyes open for it people!!

THANKS Chris

My article was in RM 2/10. The Timetable

Colin has chosen an excellent prototype to model as without resorting to Rule1. Gorleston,in the 60s, had 3 terminating services from London and Derby,services went to London, Ipswich, Beccles and local DMU to Lowestoft,parcels. ECS,a through freight and stopper to shunt,steam and diesels, Mk1, exLNER and Stanier coaches in maroon and remaining carmine/cream. Birds Eye containers and fish,coal (2 or merchants in yard including Bessey and Palmer),vans,grain,beer,timber and milk would pass through.

In 1960 there were 69 passenger trains and 80 on Saturdays! Closed in 1970. There was path to the Camp at back of goods yard -visible on some camp photos.

Locos traced so far are B1, B12, B17, c12, D16, F4/5/6, J15/17/19/39,K1/3, L1,N7.Britannias. Diesels -24,31,37.40 (and 47 from 1962?) and DMU 101 and 105

Mand GN Circle has an excellent collection of photos which helped article.

Hopefully Coiiln could send in his photos to Modeller with some of these notes.

My article was in RM 2/10. The Timetable

Colin has chosen an excellent prototype to model as without resorting to Rule1. Gorleston,in the 60s, had 3 terminating services from London and Derby,services went to London, Ipswich, Beccles and local DMU to Lowestoft,parcels. ECS,a through freight and stopper to shunt,steam and diesels, Mk1, exLNER and Stanier coaches in maroon and remaining carmine/cream. Birds Eye containers and fish,coal (2 or merchants in yard including Bessey and Palmer),vans,grain,beer,timber and milk would pass through.

In 1960 there were 69 passenger trains and 80 on Saturdays! Closed in 1970. There was path to the Camp at back of goods yard -visible on some camp photos.

Locos traced so far are B1, B12, B17, c12, D16, F4/5/6, J15/17/19/39,K1/3, L1,N7.Britannias. Diesels -24,31,37.40 (and 47 from 1962?) and DMU 101 and 105

Mand GN Circle has an excellent collection of photos which helped article.

Hopefully Coiiln could send in his photos to Modeller with some of these notes.

I didn't know it had gone to print Chris. Congratulations on getting it published. Any chance you could scan the article for me?

I'm going to try to get the layout cleaned up a bit and take some better quality photos this week, I'll send them on to you as soon as I can.

Best Regards

Colin

great stuff collin, one question 'wheres the sea?'

mr B .. modeling Nethertown

Thanks mr. B............Even when the original station was built it wasn't possible to view the sea. I think the first view passengers got of the murky waters off the Norfolk/Suffolk line from Gorleston was further South towards Gorleston Links halt near to the golf course. The actual topography of the area is land rising towards the cliffs.

Regards

Colin

I like this, especially the way you've conveyed the 'open', spacious feel of an East Anglian terminus. Well done.

Thanks for the compliment............unfortunately it's not a terminus station so I guess that means I've screwed up somewhere. The line originally terminated at Yarmouth Southtown to the north and Lowestoft to the south.

Does this mean I have more changes to make? :unsure:

Regards

Colin

Archived