Gorleston-on-Sea. BR 1950's thru 1960's

colin@gorleston

• RMweb Gold

OOps :blush_mini: Forget the terminus bit, I should have studied the photos more closely, what I mean is that it actually looks like a station and surrounds, terminus or not.

OOps :blush_mini: Forget the terminus bit, I should have studied the photos more closely, what I mean is that it actually looks like a station and surrounds, terminus or not.

Not your fault Phil, my lousy photography.

2 snaps showing up and down trains to try to re-enforce the thru station idea.

post-6258-12763797304_thumb.jpg

post-6258-127637974701_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

these next few pics are not for the sqeamish if you're into DCC. You can see the decoder wires quite clearly through the cab windows of the class 4.......one day maybe I'll be brave enough to take it apart again and colour them black. Other than that these shots were an experiment with different settings on the camera.

post-6258-127777406473_thumb.jpg

post-6258-127777422033_thumb.jpg

post-6258-127777432431_thumb.jpg

post-6258-127777454347_thumb.jpg

Hi Colin

Just caught up with this thread and I have to say I'm really enjoying seeing pictures of your layout. For whatever reason it has that 'feels right' look to it, something that's not easily definable but whatever it is your layout just captures the right look.

It seems to have the right colour of greens and the ballast looks great too.

Looking at your class 25 I'm wondering if its sitting too high on its chassis. It just seems quite high to me, I could be wrong mind you and its just the camera.

Keep up the good work and keep posting the results, I for one am enjoying seeing the pictures.

Hi Colin

Just caught up with this thread and I have to say I'm really enjoying seeing pictures of your layout. For whatever reason it has that 'feels right' look to it, something that's not easily definable but whatever it is your layout just captures the right look.

It seems to have the right colour of greens and the ballast looks great too.

Looking at your class 25 I'm wondering if its sitting too high on its chassis. It just seems quite high to me, I could be wrong mind you and its just the camera.

Keep up the good work and keep posting the results, I for one am enjoying seeing the pictures.

Many thanks for your kind comments.

The "grass" is a mixture of about 4 different colours from the woodland scenics range, I took one colour and used that as a base but as I was applying it I would mix small amounts of the other scatter materials into the seive to blend them in.

You are absolutely right about the 25, it has a different chassis (earlier I believe) than the body shell. I'm not quite sure if it's the DCC decoder or the horns for want of a better word on the chassis that are holding it up high. A little investigative work is in order and then I'll put it right.

At the moment I'm trying to get the layout into a suitable condition to show it when our rail show season starts here in Florida, then it will be time to start weathering and detailing locos and stock. That's pretty low on the list of priorities as not too many americans know the first thing about british motive power and stock...........

(ducks and runs for cover!)

Best Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

Just been catching up with your progress and i'm continually impressed!

Although i've never been to Gorleston myself, you have certainly captured a good 'feel' about the place in that it looks real to me.

Please don't beat yourself up over certain things - your track laying is sublime, buildings, roadways excellent and as for your backscene - WOW!

I'm always full of admiration for anyone who can achieve nice looking scenery, you've done that very well and.......

I love your stock too!

Well done indeed for DCCing the little class 04 diesel, i didn't know that could be done! Thats one of things that (slightly) puts me off N gauge, the difficulty of fitting decoders to non DCC ready or even friendly items. I could be tempted, i suppose (one day!).

Best regards,

John E.

You are absolutely right about the 25, it has a different chassis (earlier I believe) than the body shell. I'm not quite sure if it's the DCC decoder or the horns for want of a better word on the chassis that are holding it up high. A little investigative work is in order and then I'll put it right.

The old Farish 25 chassis suffers from the usual problems of the bogie sides being set a little low (with the axleboxes set just below the wheel centres) and wide. In addition the rectangular section on top of the bogie sideframe is omitted, emphasising the gap. It is possible to slice the sides off, cut back the supports slightly, add the missing section and refit them slightly higher. Best to drill and pin the joins with wire as the plastic used doesn't glue very well and the sides will knock off easily otherwise.

Well done indeed for DCCing the little class 04 diesel, i didn't know that could be done! Thats one of things that (slightly) puts me off N gauge, the difficulty of fitting decoders to non DCC ready or even friendly items. I could be tempted, i suppose (one day!).

Best regards,

John E.

WOW! Praise indeed......Thank you very much.

As to fitting the decoder to the class 4, I wouldn't be too impressed, there is a chap that haunts the Yahoo N gauge group that installed DCC controled working couplings into one of these little beasts, now that's impressive!

Colin

The old Farish 25 chassis suffers from the usual problems of the bogie sides being set a little low (with the axleboxes set just below the wheel centres) and wide. In addition the rectangular section on top of the bogie sideframe is omitted, emphasising the gap. It is possible to slice the sides off, cut back the supports slightly, add the missing section and refit them slightly higher. Best to drill and pin the joins with wire as the plastic used doesn't glue very well and the sides will knock off easily otherwise.

Thanks for that Bernard, I might just give that a try when I get around to messing with my stock and locos.

Colin

Not much work done since my last posting other than trying different settings with the camera. Attached are a couple of shots of Gorleston in earlier years showing some kettles. Hopefully I'll be able to make some serious progress with a 3 day weekend.......watch this space!

post-6258-127811095388_thumb.jpg

post-6258-127811114446.jpg

post-6258-127811121566_thumb.jpg

Since last week I have lowered the new body on the class 25 so that it sits better and am now experimenting with delayed uncouplers.

Results have been promising with rare earth magnets beneath the track but I think I'm going to try electromagnets before I make a final decision. I'll let you know how I get on..........

(if you look at the #2 end you can just make out one of the magnets fixed to the rapido coupler)

post-6258-127879361482_thumb.jpg

Hello Colin :)

The latest pictures look really good, please keep on posting them. As for the uncouplers you really should have a go at DG uncouplers, once they are set up they make shunting so much easier.

Missy :)

The latest pictures look really good, please keep on posting them. As for the uncouplers you really should have a go at DG uncouplers, once they are set up they make shunting so much easier.

Thanks again Missy......by the way congratulations on your fine outing at the exhibition!

I thought that DG's were only available through the 2mm Association, is there another source that I should know about?

Colin

Thanks again Missy......by the way congratulations on your fine outing at the exhibition!

I thought that DG's were only available through the 2mm Association, is there another source that I should know about?

Colin

Thank you. It was certianly an eye opener!

You can get DGs from Model Signal Engineering via the Wizard Models website. Just look for DGs under the 'Manufacturers' link on the left.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much progress on the layout itself as all my time has been spent with the programming track to get better running.

I can't believe just how time consuming this is, there has to be a faster way.

Of course it would help if I didn't have so many locos, but who can resist.

This year I'm hoping that we get the Brittania, B1, 4MT with BR2B tender, 3MT and Ivatt 2MT.

More work!

Regards

Colin

Since last week I have lowered the new body on the class 25 so that it sits better and am now experimenting with delayed uncouplers.

Results have been promising with rare earth magnets beneath the track but I think I'm going to try electromagnets before I make a final decision. I'll let you know how I get on..........

(if you look at the #2 end you can just make out one of the magnets fixed to the rapido coupler)

:D much better Colin

• RMweb Gold

Not much progress on the layout itself as all my time has been spent with the programming track to get better running.

I can't believe just how time consuming this is, there has to be a faster way.

Of course it would help if I didn't have so many locos, but who can resist.

This year I'm hoping that we get the Brittania, B1, 4MT with BR2B tender, 3MT and Ivatt 2MT.

I think the serious DCC people might ask if you're using Decoder Pro, which has a great reputation for reducing your time spent on such tasks. What impresses me about your layout - and I am absolutely NOT damning with faint praise! - is the degree of detailing you have managed to cram into an N scale model. I'd be pleased if my 4mm efforts look as good. That you are making sure it runs as well as it looks is a big plus point, too.

The July calendar picture in my bedroom showed a painting by Charles Pears of a young lady in a black swimming costume, holding a great red cape which is blowing in the wind above her. "Great Yarmouth & Gorleston-on-Sea - Travel by Rail" says the big print. A free illustrated guide is said to be available from any LMS or LNER station!

I think the serious DCC people might ask if you're using Decoder Pro, which has a great reputation for reducing your time spent on such tasks.

Thanks for the encouragement, it's much appreciated.

For programming I use the Digitrax PR3.I haven't really taken the time to read too much of the guide for Decoder-Pro(which appears to be a lot of reading) so just use the Digitrax Soundloader program for CV adjustments on a dedicated piece of track in front of my computer monitor. The time consuming part is running from room to room to swap from program track to layout, testing and then having to go back and redo if I made a bad call on CV values ( a frequent occurence)

I'm sure that I would spend less time if I standardised on decoders, but I have quite the mix, from DZ125 to tame Dapol greyhounds to Lenz to TCS to NCE (best deal on the net!! let the smoke out... send it to them with a small fee, get new decoder w/smoke still inside ( no connection just a very satisfied customer).

post-6258-128120986905.jpg

post-6258-128121028699.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the encouragement, it's much appreciated.

The time consuming part is running from room to room to swap from program track to layout, testing and then having to go back and redo if I made a bad call on CV values ( a frequent occurence)

Have you tried Ops Mode programming? Avoids all that running about! If you're concerned that you'll reprogram everything else (I never have in several years of Ops Mode), do it with only the one loco on the layout.

Yes, THAT poster, of course!

• 6 months later...

Belated cuts by that dreaded Beching fella have closed Gorleston station for good...........consequently the layout has been consigned to the rubbish skip after lifting and salvaging as much as possible for the next endeavour.

Many thanks to all that have replied and offered encouragement.

Very soon I will start a new layout posting, the boards are built, a trackplan has been devised with the help of members on RM web, and in fact the track has allready been laid.

This time it's a fictitious station with no name as yet, but still with a Great Eastern flavour.

Once again, Thank You all.....

Colin

• 1 year later...

Wow

It's almost 2 years since this thread ended in the demolition of Gorleston (RIP)

What a superb model it was.

I grew up in Gorleston and was thinking about doing my own OO version.

I vaguely remember services running but by the time I moved to the estate adjacent to the line by the Halt, service had ended.

Colin, did you go to Cliff Park? Or was it Alderman Leach? How come you ended up in Florida?

Again, what a superb model. You did the real thing justice

Archived