Road Vans

A number of road vans ran over the S&D - & of course other lines!

Now I know what the Road Van was - basically carrying small consignments to be picked up or dropped off en route, but

1. What trains were they attatched to - I assume as they served most stations en route a pick up goods or stopping passenger trains

2. If they were attatched to a goods train, I assume that they would have been next to the brake van so they could have been left at the station platform & loaded/unloaded while any shunting took place

3. There is a S&D Road Van at Washford, there is a RTR Road Van that Wessex Wagons have produced but this is a more modern design of van, is this in fact correct?  I am assuming that most 'Road Vans; were in fact standard vans 

• Like 1

Road vans always travelled in goods (or mixed) trains. The small(-ish) consignments that they carried would have been charged at goods train rates. Small consignments charged at passenger train rates normally travelled in the guard's van on passenger trains.

• Like 1

There are "road vans" and "road vans" ........ as, I think, Stationmaster has explained here before:

We railway modellers tend to think of the combined brake and road van, but the term can also mean an ordinary van performing the same function, that is to carry goods to and from places that don't merit having an entire van devoted to serve their "smalls" traffic ...... it serves the whole road (or at least the small places along it), rather than one station.

• Like 1

A number of road vans ran over the S&D - & of course other lines!

Now I know what the Road Van was - basically carrying small consignments to be picked up or dropped off en route........ there is a RTR Road Van that Wessex Wagons have produced but this is a more modern design of van, is this in fact correct?  I am assuming that most 'Road Vans; were in fact standard vans

I presume you mean this one

post-4181-0-31270100-1548621422_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 1/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, johnofwessex said:

Yes, I suspect that the livery is fine, but not the vehicle it is on

This is an official photo of one, that is a fairly standard goods van, designated as a Road Van. The hinged doors would allow goods to be loaded and unloaded at stations or goods yards along the route more easily than from vans with the heavier sliding doors, common on the otherwise similar Midland vans.

S&DJR 4wheeled 6ton road van  no 1038 4net.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Additional information
  • Informative/Useful 1