Great Westerns O Gauge entry level weathering attempts !

Great Western

Hopefully you'll take this as constructive criticism: I'm not sure that 'oily' washes are the best base for these locos. To my eyes, most Pannier weathering looked very dry & dusty; they worked around materials like coal a lot; oil & grease was only applied by the crew to the motion and suchlike. They didn't get the 'polished with an oily rag' treatment that express engines were pampered with. The main 'wet' weathering they had was when being filled with water and the bag leaked or overflowed. Other than that, the weathering was very 'flat', or matt finish.

The tank sides on your GWR pannier stick out as 'wrong', with the wash running along the sides. Even dirt & rain is subject to gravity; the wash needs to be applied (& taken off) vertically. Now I know for myself how difficult this is on the tank sides with the handrail in the way, so time needs to be taken to get the brush under the rail - from above and below - to work the weathering vertically.

What paint are you using? If it's water-based, maybe it can be taken off or re-worked with a damp brush. A wide, flat brush is a good choice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...