Alternative to Woodland Scenics turfs?

I like both Woodland Scenics Blended Turf and their Coarse Turf, but I'll never undertand why they make the colours of them so intense.   Does anybody else make something similar but with more subtle colours?

• RMweb Gold

I use products from Greenscene   http://www.green-scenes.co.uk/store?productlist-sort=created-desc&productlist-categories=the-green-scene-collection&productlist-itemcount=20&productlist-search= on my layout, which I find excellent with a much more subtle colour range than Woodland Scenics offerings.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, wenlock said:

I use products from Greenscene   http://www.green-scenes.co.uk/store?productlist-sort=created-desc&productlist-categories=the-green-scene-collection&productlist-itemcount=20&productlist-search= on my layout, which I find excellent with a much more subtle colour range than Woodland Scenics offerings.

Cheers for that.  I do actually find Greenscene's ballast to be very good indeed, so I guess I could do a lot worse than give this stuff a go.  Is it more or less the same sort of foam crumb-type stuff as Woodland Scenics?  And seeing as how the pictures on the site are no use at all for judging colours, might you perhaps care to suggest two or three I might try to represent the scraggy grass and vegetation found in the 8ft of neglected sidings?

1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Somebody else's ideas of 'suitable' might not be the same as yours. Greenscene is present at lots of exhibitions, so you'd probably do better going to see him at one and choosing your own colours from the vast range.

I agree with you, MIck, but alas I can't get to exhibitions.  All I'm after is two or three shades which are more subdued than WS's greens.  If nobody here cares to suggest any, I'll have to phone Mr Greenscene and see what he recommends ...

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, spikey said:

I agree with you, MIck, but alas I can't get to exhibitions.  All I'm after is two or three shades which are more subdued than WS's greens.  If nobody here cares to suggest any, I'll have to phone Mr Greenscene and see what he recommends ...

Here's the fine scatter list Spikey.   www.green-scenes.co.uk/store?productlist-sort=created-desc&productlist-categories=scatter&productlist-search=

Edited by gwrrob
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, spikey said:

When I've walked the dog I'll go and check my stock. ;)  There's bound to be something suitable amidst all that stuff. :unsure: I'll be in touch . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit later than planned, but here we go:

GS102  Mid Green

GS111  Lawn Green

GS125 Parkway Green

These are suitable for 2mm  scale large clumpy bits (sorry about the technical terms) and 4mm scale rough grassy areas when seen from normal viewing distances in those scales. Absolutely no good whatsoever if you like to look at your layout through a camera's macro lens.

• Informative/Useful 1