Is this photo at Wreay (WCML)?

Mike at C&M

My father does a lot of photo-archiving work, and came across the picture below that is labelled as being at Wreay, a few miles south of Carlisle.

However, Wreay was LNWR, whilst the box and signals suggest Midland.

So can anyone enlighten us as to where this picture may have been taken.

Thanking you for you help in advance.

546602091_Wreayaccident.jpg.72df0691b61011a252124a4c76bb37e7.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Collision with a local goods, which was shunting.

5581 was an overnight Glasgow - St Pancras service.

it is suggested its later rebuild following this accident meant its near survival, as a preservation candidate due to its good mechanical condition.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

http://keighleyhistory.proboards.com/thread/454/leed-edinburgh-train-crash-steeton

I was recently sent a query about a train crash between Steeton & Silsden - I found the answer in Ian Dewhirst book - A History of Keighley, I though some of you might be interested.

It happened on 11 October 1943 - when the Leeds to Edinburgh express train collided with a freight train which was being shunted into a siding. Wreckage was strewn across 200 yards
of the track and over the level crossing blocking the road between Steeton and Silsden. The Express train toppled
onto its side, it carriages overturned or derailed.

Ten freight wagons were smashed - two ending up in the station masters garden, scattering sacks of cattle cake intended for
Skipton.

Although the express was carrying some 200 passengers, there were no fatalities and only four people were briefly
detained in Keighley Victoria Hospital. Edward Bonner the train driver had been driving since 1908 without experiencing any
previous accident - he escaped serious injury by clinging to a rail inside his cab.

Mrs Little the Steeton, Stationmaster's wife, did the best she could for the shocked and temporarily stranded passengers.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Interesting, only one of us is correct, i’m Quoting this book...

LONDON MIDLAND & SCOTTISH

By Bill Horsfall

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=kmjrBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA151&lpg=PA151&dq=5581+bihar+orissa+steeton&source=bl&ots=jMYEjjXSsy&sig=ACfU3U39xp6AyN9mm_LVlgLUtcdDkLhx8Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYvIOtxqrgAhUHRxUIHcuoBxkQ6AEwDHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=5581 bihar orissa steeton&f=false

i guess it’s an easy answer.. is the train going north or south ?

looking at the picture, it looks like the book may be erroneous ?

Edited by adb968008