IFA Car Carriers

It was only a throwaway comment from someone more knowledgeable than I about car carriers  a while back that led us to the idea that they were conversions. All I knew was something continental.

It's a shame the Portbury train hasn't run since last year, otherwise I'd be out for some close up pics!

Jo

• Thanks 1

The STVA wagons were conversions, which first appeared in the late 1990s. The vans virtually disappeared with the opening of the Channel Tunnel, apart from a small pool used as match wagons with Eurostar movements and Pendeliino deliveries. The flats hung around for a while longer, their last workings being loads of Engineer's Bar to Wolverhampton and Wakefield.

These are the vans:-

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/frenchferryvan

The low-sided opens that Mark refers to used the same chassis; neither had the trussing. I suspect that had been added post-conversion to introduce more rigidity to the structure, to avoid twist, which might give ride problems.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 1

The first wagon is as built, and is in use as a spacer wagon on trains of sections from Shelton Bar. The wagon to the right will be a Cargowaggon bogie flat- some of the section that Shelton exported was too long for even the longest of these, which was about 75' long, and so runner/spacer wagons were required to accommodate the overhang.

The second wagon has been modified to act as a coupler adaptor between a train fitted with Scharfenberg couplings, and a loco equipped with UIC ones. Looking at the photo, a gloss black protuberance , between the buffers, holds the coupling head, whilst the air-pipes have been specially extended. I haven't seen any of these wagons for a while; most recent deliveries have used modified VTG Ferrywaggons.

One thing the second photo does show is that the trussing wa p resent before the wagons were converted to vehicle carriers.

• Like 1