Most "unusual" rake

On 13/02/2019 at 13:54, Titan said:

The only reason I can think of was the 47 was restricted to air brake only and the coach was used for extra brake force. Seems somewhat unlikely though, but if it wasn't unusual it would not be in this thread!

Maybe it was just coupled to it for another reason, and they sent it off to rescue the DMU without wasting time uncoupling?

On 09/02/2019 at 13:27, robertcwp said:

It's the generator van that went with the cinema coach: 

45162020351_19ebc6e12f_c.jpgDE320104E_DM395017M_Wloo_8-66 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Just out of interest, does anyone know what the history of the six-wheeler is (i.e. which railway it originated from), or what happened to it afterwards?

It has a bit of a Cambrian look to it.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, lmsforever said:

has anyone actually watched a film in a cinema coach?

Yes - Buster Keaton's "The General". Platform 4 (as was) in Leeds City.

There was a Tallyllyn locomotive on a low-loader too. I think it was commemorating something but I forget what.

(I thought I'd already posted this, but can't see it...)

2 hours ago, Coryton said:

I did read (on here probably) that a passenger train once ran with just a full brake as passenger 'accommodation'

Yes, wasn't that an emergency Exeter to Plymouth service at some God-awful time of night? I remember reading about it in a contemporary magazine from the 1950s. The service train had been horrendously delayed due to weather (flooding?) and arrived well after the last connecting service had left. The BG was commandeered and station seats were loaded inside for passengers to sit on IIRC. 

At least the staff made the effort. 

7 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Just out of interest, does anyone know what the history of the six-wheeler is (i.e. which railway it originated from), or what happened to it afterwards?

It has a bit of a Cambrian look to it.

Also seen here in the 50's: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93303764@N04/8509997089/in/set-7215763282468717

19 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Yes, wasn't that an emergency Exeter to Plymouth service at some God-awful time of night? I remember reading about it in a contemporary magazine from the 1950s. The service train had been horrendously delayed due to weather (flooding?) and arrived well after the last connecting service had left. The BG was commandeered and station seats were loaded inside for passengers to sit on IIRC. 

At least the staff made the effort. 

I've a vague recollection of hearing something about passengers being conveyed up the Newquay branch in the luggage compartment of a solo HST power car on one occasion!

• Agree 1

On 15/02/2019 at 11:13, rodent279 said:

Yes, forgot about nodding donkeys! 

Excluding Pacers and earlier generations of railbus, when was the last passenger carrying 4 & 6 wheel stock withdrawn? Would any have lasted long enough to be diesel hauled?

There was a photo in an early Modellers' Backtrack of the Mildenhall branch train at Cambridge, in 1938. The coaches were ex-G.E. six-wheelers converted for conductor-guard operation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I've a vague recollection of hearing something about passengers being conveyed up the Newquay branch in the luggage compartment of a solo HST power car on one occasion!

There are photos of this unusual service bouncing around, and some have been shown on here.