Wagon hoist Huddersfield

5' 20' and on into this clip shows a similar type of hoist in use in 1950's Sheffield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duoq7esgf5s&t=15s

Old maps has basic track plans for 1890 at 1:500 & 1960 at 1:1,250.

You will need to switch print extent off and scroll out to view the map.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/414281/416933/13/101329

P

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

That's a very interesting video, sadly it doesn't shed any light on how the lift works. I have a couple of maps of the site but the layout I'm planning is freelance so although the shed and lift are to be part of it, the trackplan bears no resemblance to the original Huddersfield goods yard trackplan.

Ian

Hi Paul

That's a very interesting video, sadly it doesn't shed any light on how the lift works. I have a couple of maps of the site but the layout I'm planning is freelance so although the shed and lift are to be part of it, the trackplan bears no resemblance to the original Huddersfield goods yard trackplan.

Ian

Is it possible that the platform carrying the tracks was raised by a centrally-located piston? I have seen hydraulic lifts in buildings that work like that. Given the height to which the platform would be lifted, then a multi-staged ram would be required. The other possibility could be a wire and drum arrangement lifting from above.

• RMweb Premium

Is it possible that the platform carrying the tracks was raised by a centrally-located piston? I have seen hydraulic lifts in buildings that work like that. Given the height to which the platform would be lifted, then a multi-staged ram would be required. The other possibility could be a wire and drum arrangement lifting from above.

Hi Brian

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the lift was hydraulically (water) operated and as the shed has no cellars or underground facilities that I am aware of I also think that the lift was a multi stage cylinder. A single cylinder needing to lift the platform by 26 feet would in my opinion be a difficult prospect so the multi stage is the only sensible and logical answer. I just need to know what it looked like when lifted so I can model it reasonably accurately.

Ian

Hi Brian

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the lift was hydraulically (water) operated and as the shed has no cellars or underground facilities that I am aware of I also think that the lift was a multi stage cylinder. A single cylinder needing to lift the platform by 26 feet would in my opinion be a difficult prospect so the multi stage is the only sensible and logical answer. I just need to know what it looked like when lifted so I can model it reasonably accurately.

Ian

It would have had to be some sort of 'telescope' arrangement; you would need some sort of space below gound to mount main cylinder in, though it wouldn't need to be much bigger than the cylinder's outside diameter, and some space for access.

Ian,

Coming from the North East (as we do) and knowing of a certain Mr Armstrong that had quite a lot to do with hydraulics (Remember the Hydraulic Crane pub that backed onto Armstrong works?) I googled "Armstrong Hydraulic Hoist". Didn't come up with much but it got me into thinking they might hold something within Tyne & Wear Archives service at Blandford House?

Looks like an Armstrong Crane in use on the BTC film.

Coming from the North East (as we do) and knowing of a certain Mr Armstrong that had quite a lot to do with hydraulics (Remember the Hydraulic Crane pub that backed onto Armstrong works?) I googled "Armstrong Hydraulic Hoist". Didn't come up with much but it got me into thinking they might hold something within Tyne & Wear Archives service at Blandford House?

Looks like an Armstrong Crane in use on the BTC film.

Armstrong certainly built hydraulic cranes and coal hoists, so I can imagine that wagon lifts came within his scope. St Pancras had a number of lifts serving the below-platform vaults- I wonder if anything was found there when it was being rebuilt?

I had a bit of a look at Google, but the only illustrations I could find were of ones for road vehicles. They did make me wonder, however, if some sort of scissors-jack might have been used, which would have reduced the need for a long stroke on the piston, or for telescoping on the high-pressure systems.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the Drawing Service of the  L & Y Society has something?

That's what I was hoping for, that either a member of the L&Y or LNWR societies could find out for me. As I said, it was made by the LNWR so that is the most likely source for a drawing or photograph. I would be quite happy to join the relevant society to get the information, but I don't really want to join both on the off chance I might find the information.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

According to the book I have which was published as a joint effort by the L&Y and LNWR societies in 1996 the lift was manufactured at the LNWR Works in Derby around 1885.

Ian

I thought the works in Derby were the Midland Counties/Birmingham and Derby/North Midland railway companies, soon to become the Midland Railway?

Was there another works in Derby?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I thought the works in Derby were the Midland Counties/Birmingham and Derby/North Midland railway companies, soon to become the Midland Railway?

Was there another works in Derby?

Mike.

Hi Mike, How is Sunny Spain treating you?

I've just checked the book again and it was Crewe not Derby where it was made. Another Senior moment on my part !!!!!!

Ian

Hi Paul

Ian

It does at least show what the table may have looked like - Old Airfix girder bridge maybe?

Archived