How to reattach Bachmann 66 flyshaft?

faa77

I have just removed one of the bogies from a Baccy 66. However, in doing so I believe the horizontal rod (is this the flyshaft) has fallen out of it's socket. When I try and run the loco I hear a lot of spinning and zero movement.

How do I access and place the flyshaft back where it came from? It appears to be housed below the block of (magnesium?) 

(I was doing this to try and fix an issue which may have been with a component slipping, causing a loud noise and little movement)

• RMweb Premium

Remove the bogie.

Fit the drive shaft into the bogie and then gently guide the bogie back into place , aligning the drive shaft.

I find that the easiest way to do it, is to set the motor drive shaft ends to a similar alignment - usually horizontal.

Note - a Class 66 drive shaft has different shaped ends. If you get it wrong way round it will pop out again. It should gently pop into the bogie gear tower.

(And I can't remember which is the correct way)

Cheers,

Mick

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Remove the bogie.

Fit the drive shaft into the bogie and then gently guide the bogie back into place , aligning the drive shaft.

I find that the easiest way to do it, is to set the motor drive shaft ends to a similar alignment - usually horizontal.

Note - a Class 66 drive shaft has different shaped ends. If you get it wrong way round it will pop out again. It should gently pop into the bogie gear tower.

(And I can't remember which is the correct way)

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick, I didn't realise it just has to be guided in to the "hole".

I am trying to fix a problem where something might be slipping (causing a horrible noise and slow movement) and I believe this is near the motor. However, the magnesium block appears to be in the way of where I wish to investigate. Do you know how I gain access to this area?

I think the problem I am trying to fix might be the flyshaft is slipping when rotating. Movement is "okay" at slow speed, but as I increase the speed something sounds like it's slipping and with the cover off, it sounds like it is the flyshaft.

11 minutes ago, faa77 said:

...I am trying to fix a problem where something might be slipping (causing a horrible noise and slow movement) and I believe this is near the motor. However, the magnesium block appears to be in the way of where I wish to investigate. Do you know how I gain access to this area?

Have you got the diagram? The plastic base is screwed onto the cast metal block, an d the diagram will map the locations of the attaching screws for you.

FYI, the block is cast in a alloy principally based on Zinc, with trade names of Mazak or Zamak.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, faa77 said:

I think the problem I am trying to fix might be the flyshaft is slipping when rotating. Movement is "okay" at slow speed, but as I increase the speed something sounds like it's slipping and with the cover off, it sounds like it is the flyshaft.

Do the wheels rotate properly on both bogies? Try lifting one bogie at a time under gentle power putting your finger against the "free" bogie wheels.

Is this different for both bogies?

Threading a drive shaft back into place is one of those "angle the chassis whilst trying to fit the bogie back into position under a bright light" things that takes a bit of practice................. Get the shaft engaged and then gently move the bogie outwards until the pivot slots into place.

Cheers,

Mick

7 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Have you got the diagram? The plastic base is screwed onto the cast metal block, an d the diagram will map the locations of the attaching screws for you.

FYI, the block is cast in a alloy principally based on Zinc, with trade names of Mazak or Zamak.

Have got the diagram, just looking for the screw sockets to remove it.

EDIT: Ah I needed a torch to see the screws, quite a deep socket.

Edited by faa77

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't say that it's a poor design - it;s just that they are put together in a particular order. i.e screw a bit together and then solder the wires, then add another bit and connect a few more wires.

Unless you are prepared to disconnect wires from circuit boards, then they will never come apart easily.

(Modern cars are exactly the same - they don'y want to be taken apart)

Cheers,

Mick

• Agree 1