Old RMweb

• Moderators

The pre-2009 site software will not run on the Mysql and PHP versions required for running this software. The database was very flakey and probably wouldn't survive updating to a later version of phpbb - it would be a major task and saw very little traffic.

• Informative/Useful 2

But surely if that's the case then there's little point in having it listed on here?

It's a shame as there was a lot of great content over there which probably won't be seen by anyone again.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

surely if that's the case then there's little point in having it listed on here?

You're right, I'll have to remove the link. 

• RMweb Premium

Could it not be set up on a small secondary server with an old phpbb version, read only, with a basic back up in case a vulnerability is found so it can be restored?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Good idea Ian.

As I said there was a lot of great content over there which will be lost and would be a shame and disappointing for those who took the time and effort to post that content. It seems a great shame to just wipe the table clean of everyone's good work.

Cheers 

• Agree 3

On 26/02/2019 at 07:23, Ian J. said:

Could it not be set up on a small secondary server with an old phpbb version, read only, with a basic back up in case a vulnerability is found so it can be restored?

I look me this idea Ian,

I'm no computer techie but it must be possible, otherwise the time everyone took to post content will be of no value as it would be lost. I only discovered it wasn't working when I wanted to refer back to a thread on a small EM gauge layout.

I must say it has slightly put me off posting content on here because one day surely the same thing will happen to this version of RMweb.

Just my 2p though.

Cheers

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a real pity if that information is completely lost. I imagine some of us might have gone back and copied some threads or posts of particular interest if we had known before; there's certainly a couple of threads I would have loved to keep.

Am I right in thinking it used to run on the same software setup as the 'new' RMweb but with a separate database?  So now the software is updated, 'older' RMweb can't be supported and the previous software can't be kept running as it's not secure?

Hi Rich,

Pretty much yes as per Andy Y's response.

Like yourself there are several threads I wish I kept, it's just nice to refer back to.

I think it would be a great shame for this to be lost, surely something can be done to archive it. People wouldn't need the ability to post, just read.

Cheers

• Agree 2

• Moderators

I'd have to have a separate server built with out of date mysql and php software (something no host would want to do due to vulnerabilities) and hope that the database is robust enough to survive the transfer (it was very flakey and had to be locked down to prevent logins and searches due to lock-ups). Balancing that against the number of users who referenced the old site mean it really isn't a viable project.

Some, but certainly not all, pages are cached by Google - e.g. https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-0QcgqLBCG8J:https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D8%26t%3D2603%26start%3D150+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

If there's a little green down arrow after a path in Google's results it means there's a cached version.

Try site:rmweb.co.uk/forum em gauge as a search term in Google and you can see how it works

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Might they not also have been archived by the Wayback Machine?

A small amount of content is.

• RMweb Premium

If I could ever get my little server back up and running, it could sit on my private connection if the traffic is that light. However, I don't think that's likely to happen anytime soon due to other stuff I have to sort out in life.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Ian J. said:

If I could ever get my little server back up and running, it could sit on my private connection if the traffic is that light. However, I don't think that's likely to happen anytime soon due to other stuff I have to sort out in life.

Unfortunately that would present data issues as it would include email addresses etc and although the site was locked down some years ago it would be unclear legal grounds, a knock-on from GDPR.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Unfortunately that would present data issues as it would include email addresses etc and although the site was locked down some years ago it would be unclear legal grounds, a knock-on from GDPR.

Good point.

• 3 weeks later...