Custom Switch template in Templot based on a Lenz / Peco 0 Gauge Turnout

C_h_o_p_i_n

Hi, 

I'm trying to setup a custom turnout template based on a Lenz/Peco ready-2-run tournout.
Due to not beeing a native english speaker nor beeing fluent in english pointwork terms & definitions ... I feel somewhat lost.

What is the meaning of  Stock-Rail?
Do I need to define a "jog" 
Can the Branch Track end right after the frog? 
Can I "lock" Turnout radius an branch length or the whole template from beeing modifiyable? 
Is there somewhere a good (graphically)  explanation of used terms? 
What Information - important for real tracks may be omitted or adjusted at Model Size while setting up the template?  

Kind regards,
Stefan

Right, after a bit of playing around this is what I was trying to upload. I hope it is of some use Stefan.

If you look at the point or turnout as the drawing of a shoe then to the left of the point you have the TOE which contains the SWITCH assembly.

The SWITCH assembly includes a pair of BLADES the bits that move, the two outer rails which are referred to as the STOCK RAILS and the STRETCHER BAR not the tie bar.

The STRETCHER BAR links the two BLADES together and provides an initial connection to the point operating mechanism be it a lever in a signal box or ground frame via point rodding or to an adjacent lever as used in sidings.

To the right is the HEEL or CROSSING ASSEMBLY of the point. This area contains the CROSSING V (Also referred to as the Frog.) with its associated WING RAILS and the CHECK RAILS.

In the middle between the two STOCK RAILS are the CLOSURE RAILS that link the POINT BLADES to the WING RAILS / CROSSING ASSEMBLY.

A tie bar is an adjustable bar that is fitted to the track to stop the rails from spreading out of gauge, usually used in places were the sleepers have become too rotten to do there job.

Certain railways in the UK such as the Great Western put a Joggle in the stock rails to create a recess in which the adjacent POINT BLADE would sit to provide a smooth transfer for the wheels between the two pieces of track. Other railways put a "set" in the diverging rail.

PointC.jpg

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, C_h_o_p_i_n said:

I'm trying to setup a custom turnout template based on a Lenz/Peco ready-2-run tournout.
Due to not being a native english speaker nor being fluent in english pointwork terms & definitions ... I feel somewhat lost.

Hi Stefan,

It would be much better to ask these questions on the Templot Club forum.

You have already started a topic on there, we are just waiting for you to come back with some photos or diagrams of what you are wanting to achieve. smile.gif

Briefly:

What is the meaning of  Stock-Rail?

The outer rails in a turnout. On the prototype (real railway) the term applies only to the switch section (moving rails section), but conventionally on models it applies to the whole turnout.

Do I need to define a "jog"

No. A plain set is 10 times easier to make than a joggle and in most cases more prototypical. For more info, see:

http://templot.com/companion/real_track.php

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66101#p66101

Can the Branch Track end right after the frog? 

Yes.

Can I "lock" Turnout radius and branch length or the whole template from being modifiable? 

No. However, nothing will change unless you change it.

Is there somewhere a good (graphically)  explanation of used terms?

Here are the very basics:

timber_spacings_899x436.png

startup_pad.png

check_wing_rails.png

No doubt several folks will post other diagrams (some of which will contain misinformation).

What Information - important for real tracks may be omitted or adjusted at Model Size while setting up the template?

It's your model, you decide how accurate and realistic you want it to be. However, if you just leave Templot to set the defaults you will get a good buildable template based on prototype practice where it needs to be.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
diagram added

Dear Gordon,

Thanks a lot - your comment already made some things more clear !

Dear Martin,

In no way my question here was intended to offend you and all contributors to the templot club - I just expected a larger "audience" - because many questions I have might be of a more general nature regarding understanding the techical terms. 

E.g. Heel,  Planning.

So I expect "Heel" being the area where switch-blades end - opposite the toe ? 
Planing ... means - the area where the stock-rails are thinned so the blades can become in"line" with the stockrail?

best regards, 
Stefan

Turnout Schematic.PNG-940x0.png

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, C_h_o_p_i_n said:

Dear Martin, In no way my question here was intended to offend you and all contributors to the templot club

Hi Stefan,

I wasn't in any way offended. smile.gif

But you mentioned Templot. You will always get a more detailed reply about Templot on the Templot Club forum than on RMweb, especially if you are asking about the more advanced functions used in creating non-UK customised templates.

cheers,

Martin.