Heljan 7mm Class 56

delticfan

Well, it has been a bit of an own goal, but then it wouldn’t be Heljan if they didn’t. 
you get some excellent models (the quality of all of them is great) but they seem to shoot themselves in the foot all too often, the class 37 roofs, screwing up the sides and never correcting it, the roof on the 47’s and cab fronts ruining what should have been so much better, and now the yellow paint on one 56 has people jumping up and down with the exception of the 37 and 47, the Heljan models are better than the kit options in the big diesels, however, the 47 kit looks so much better, and so unfortunate 

Hi Odin,

I can’t see that ‘line’ on any prototype picture - is it not meant to depict the edge of the window ‘ledge’ on what is essentially a pretty basic artwork?

It was also not on Heljan’s pre-production models.

099 should be with me this week and I will judge for myself first hand.  However from images viewed, the black window surround extending as a chevron onto the window ‘ledge’ appears to lessen the impact of the window ledge/angle issue.

N

53 minutes ago, neal said:

Hi Odin,

I can’t see that ‘line’ on any prototype picture - is it not meant to depict the edge of the window ‘ledge’ on what is essentially a pretty basic artwork?

099 should be with me this week and I will judge for myself first hand.  However from images viewed, the black window surround extending as a chevron onto the window ‘ledge’ appears to lessen the impact of the window ledge/angle issue.

N

on the real loco as in that drawing the black follows the bottom of the window frame. The ledge is yellow and the panel below the window is yellow below the black strip. The picture above is how it should be

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, neal said:

Hi Odin,

N

here’s a couple of close ups. You can see the dirt lying on the ledge of the nose and the yellow above and then the black following the window frame

00873B36-2955-46F8-956A-78EDBD1DB956.jpeg.e09fc4d0b9bbed9b807f6276a48d4a97.jpeg

5FF980BA-089A-4038-889A-01B10C5362A6.jpeg.4763dee989a9bee60063a2ef6b67c785.jpeg

Oh I see what you mean now, but I think extending the black onto the ledge disguises the fact the the windows are not angled sufficiently where meeting the ledge.

Whether this was deliberate might be open to debate.

N

1 hour ago, neal said:

Oh I see what you mean now, but I think extending the black onto the ledge disguises the fact the the windows are not angled sufficiently where meeting the ledge.

Whether this was deliberate might be open to debate.

N

i think by extending it down makes the effect worse, so a bit of a curve in the yellow will at least give some shape to the bottom edge of the windows. It’ll be the first thing I’ll be doing on mine when it arrives

• RMweb Gold

I have now received my three 56s, and jolly nice models they are too.  As with all Heljan diesels they are:-

(i)   beautifully finished, with the liveries impeccably applied (I say that noting the controversy about the black windscreen band on the large-logo locos - but it barely notices on mine and frankly you'd need 20/20 vision to see it);

(ii)  impressively weighty, with a haulage capacity to match;

(iii) fitted with the superb double-motor Heljan mechanism;

(iv) replete with minor details which are a delight to behold (examples of which include the different tone LEDs used for the headlight/marker lights, the separately-fitted roof details and the bogie mouldings).

The mesh on the side and cant-rail air intakes, and above the roof-fans are superbly fine.  the loco is screwed to a presentation board, and so avoids the snapped-off details which, sadly, afflicted the recent class 47.  In common with all recent Heljan releases, fitting a DCC decoder is complicated by the challenge of deciphering the wiring diagram.  But, it has its own logic and is easily worked out provided a clear-head is maintained through the process.  

There is provision for a speaker in the fuel tank, and room for a beefier one inside the body, if desired.

I am not 100% sure that the front end is spot-on accurate, but I'm not sure it is inaccurate either.  As always, with diesels, there are a host of angles to be modelled and it is a minefield, complicated by viewing angles and bulk.  A few pictures below.  What do you think?

PM

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_4353.jpg

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4357.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks. Great photos.  I am very pleased with the large logo version I have bought my son for his birthday.  Looks good to me.  My only irritation is that the body side grill frames should be the same colour as the roof.  I think judicious weathering will make it less noticeable. Was a bit confused by the handrail option too as there are only 4 round ones.313E9932-4A5A-461E-8E20-199F99702052.jpeg.1e095c09710bcec77e2bc1175543ff71.jpeg
If you think it is wrong, don’t buy it.  
I haven’t tried to install DCC as I can’t find anywhere that has either an ESU or Zimo XL chip in stock.  I think the advice about a clear head is very sound.  I am sure it could be made more straightforward though.

Simon

• Like 3

It's a shame Heljan have gone for a cold white LED for the headlight. A halogen bulb would never be that colour. Overall I'm pleased with my Railfreight triple grey model. I do need to try and get some of the footsteps that attach to the buffer beam though as mine only has 1 our of 4! (it wouldn't be a Heljan if there weren't a few bits missing!)

Edited by admiles

I’m still waiting for Rails to get their stock for my pre order. It seems odd seeing as Kernows had their initial stock 2 weeks ago, and my 56 from them has made it to Sydney via the Middle East, then across the continent to Perth, and will be with me any day soon. 

Legomanbiffo sound chip ordered from DCkits, and nameplates from Protoneo. Just need to order numbers and sector markings.

so that’s more type 5 power for Hither Green. 

On 10/05/2022 at 13:18, uk_pm said:

The model is supplied with at least 2 spares.

Only if you get the accessory bag with the model......I didn't!

Which brings up the small issue of handrails.

Edited by admiles

Well, Ben @ Heljan. The wooden bases work, as stated in previous topics. Arrived in Aus, having been through several postal systems and not a single mark, or nothing fallen off, arrived in perfect shape. Please keep it that way

57CE596C-BF89-4C51-8035-C3B3547BBFD6.jpeg.ddec034fcac3d071c5e81be7015d80e6.jpeg

558E1280-B5DB-4C38-B0A7-7A22F2FA5128.jpeg.6c74ef09ede957a6c84dc846e4019ed7.jpeg

53128B0B-53C4-436F-8784-5E73DF27AF0D.jpeg.229e0b2c7172c6fdcb15d60d98d716eb.jpeg

E32EBF49-F418-414D-B0B0-88CB9C8991A7.jpeg.c5a64f834318bc267aec42d4bbcd6b29.jpeg 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 08/05/2022 at 20:41, Maybachmd655 said:

Thanks. Great photos.  I am very pleased with the large logo version I have bought my son for his birthday.  Looks good to me.  My only irritation is that the body side grill frames should be the same colour as the roof.  I think judicious weathering will make it less noticeable. Was a bit confused by the handrail option too as there are only 4 round ones.313E9932-4A5A-461E-8E20-199F99702052.jpeg.1e095c09710bcec77e2bc1175543ff71.jpeg
If you think it is wrong, don’t buy it.  
I haven’t tried to install DCC as I can’t find anywhere that has either an ESU or Zimo XL chip in stock.  I think the advice about a clear head is very sound.  I am sure it could be made more straightforward though.

Simon

regarding the handrails, that is correct. Only the short handrails are the round type. Well done Heljan for getting that right

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 1

Thanks.  From what I could see from photos flat looked correct so I went with that.   Yet to fit the other bits that came in the plastic bag.  
In the absence of any XL decoders in stock, I took the loco to my club test track yesterday and ran it on DC.  Ran beautifully.  Very smooth. Real weight and presence.

1D34DFB3-32DA-42A5-B518-61F4908790C6.jpeg

• Like 4

Just now, Maybachmd655 said:

Thanks.  From what I could see from photos flat looked correct so I went with that.   Yet to fit the other bits that came in the plastic bag.  
In the absence of any XL decoders in stock, I took the loco to my club test track yesterday and ran it on DC.  Ran beautifully.  Very smooth. Real weight and presence.

1D34DFB3-32DA-42A5-B518-61F4908790C6.jpeg

looks great, and yes, the flat are correct. I’m not sure where they changed but I know 099 is flat on the long and short

Has anybody that obtained their class 56 recently had any handrails missing, I seem to have one short flat handrail missing and only four short round ones and my mate has four long round missing from his pack

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Premium
On 08/05/2022 at 13:41, Maybachmd655 said:

Was a bit confused by the handrail option too as there are only 4 round ones.

On 19/05/2022 at 01:35, 47606odin said:

regarding the handrails, that is correct. Only the short handrails are the round type.

7 hours ago, dodge605 said:

and only four short round ones and my mate has four long round missing from his pack

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dodge605 said:

Has anybody that obtained their class 56 recently had any handrails missing, I seem to have one short flat handrail missing and only four short round ones and my mate has four long round missing from his pack

Thanks in advance

all long hand rails are the flat type. Only the short ones are flat or round depending on which loco you are modelling. Earlier ones have round. Later ones have just flat

4393E7A6-74E7-4230-857A-BCDCFBAF6449.png.c9048dd110e88698a0afbc00d0118ea4.png

• Like 1